KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cruzgator

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby cruzgator » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Doritos wrote:
a male human wrote:My notes say you do not require probably cause (just reasonable suspicion) to do a search incident to arrest. PO can search a vehicle incident to a recent occupant’s arrest only when the arrestee is unsecured and within reaching distance of the passenger compartment at the time of the search. From that viewpoint, D is not the best answer.

Again, that's what my notes say anyway.

You missed part of the rule. The 5-0 can search a car even if the arrested person doesn't have genuine access to it if they have reasonable belief that evidence related to the crime of arrest is in the car.

Correct. This is usually the case on MBE questions. If its possible evidence of the crime will be in the car they can search, generally.

Has anyone done the additional practice test? I found it harder than the Final. Much more specific and didn't really meet the %'s they talked about for certain subtopics. For example, con law was very separation of powers heavy and didn't have a lot of individual rights. I guess its a good thing I did both.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:50 pm

I've been practicing essays today and came across this rule in a Commercial Paper essay. Does anyone recognzie it? Did I just totally miss it?

A. (Rule) Seller without title to goods may not transfer title to buyer
1. Entruster giving possession of goods to merchant who deals in goods
of that kind gives merchant power to transfer all entruster’s rights to
buyer in ordinary course of business

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Torvon wrote:I've been practicing essays today and came across this rule in a Commercial Paper essay. Does anyone recognzie it? Did I just totally miss it?

A. (Rule) Seller without title to goods may not transfer title to buyer
1. Entruster giving possession of goods to merchant who deals in goods
of that kind gives merchant power to transfer all entruster’s rights to
buyer in ordinary course of business

Yeah I came across that in personal property around the bailment section.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:16 pm

lol, just lol at the shit job Kaplan did preparing us for this exam.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:48 am

los blancos wrote:lol, just lol at the shit job Kaplan did preparing us for this exam.

Seriously.

MG95

Postby MG95 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:27 am

Last edited by MG95 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deebs

Postby deebs » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:17 pm

M_n_M wrote:
Torvon wrote:
los blancos wrote:lol, just lol at the shit job Kaplan did preparing us for this exam.

Seriously.

huetohold

Postby huetohold » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Wasn't that final practice exam supposed to be harder than the real thing? I'm going to guess that that whole "add 30 points" thing is a myth.

DNAgent

Postby DNAgent » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:37 pm

huetohold wrote:Wasn't that final practice exam supposed to be harder than the real thing? I'm going to guess that that whole "add 30 points" thing is a myth.

I think the word you're actually looking for is "lie" maybe? :shock:

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Actually, it's probably somewhat true, at least statistically. If the average raw score on the final was a 110, and the average MBE score is over a 140, the claim really isn't absurd at all.

huetohold

Postby huetohold » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:52 pm

I suppose it's possible that the average Kaplan student correlates to the average MBE taker. In any case, I felt pretty comfortable with the Kaplan practice exams and managed to do moderately above average on both, but my immediate impression after taking yesterday's test was that it was significantly tougher. Of course, it's possible I'm just psyching myself out, though I certainly won't be counting on anything.

gypsy_mc

Postby gypsy_mc » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:47 pm

I honestly felt that the Kaplan materials were decent...I at least knew what a fixture filing was. But I had no idea what to do with the personal representative question on one of our essays.

mness

Postby mness » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:46 pm

Anyone know how/where/when we return the materials to Kaplan? I'd like to get my deposit back.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:15 pm

mness wrote:Anyone know how/where/when we return the materials to Kaplan? I'd like to get my deposit back.

How much was the deposit? I can't even remember.

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:42 pm

i think $250 is the deposit. we're supposed to keep the books until we get our bar results, but i think you can send them back sooner. make sure you use a tracking number.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:49 pm

I honestly feel pretty good about the way that kaplan prepared me for the test. I thought that the MBE was easier than the Qbank/redbook questions I did. I had no clue on one of the essays but it was on a really obscure state law water rights issue so I can't really fault them for that.

There is not enough time to learn every last rule in ~18 areas of law. I think kaplan did a decent job of teaching the areas most likely to be tested. The goal is just to pass, you don't need to set any sort of high score record. My guess is that all of you are just being tough on yourselves and you probably did much better than you think--which it good.

All of these sentiments are subject to change if I do not pass of course.

rock steady

Postby rock steady » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:53 pm

emciosn wrote:I honestly feel pretty good about the way that kaplan prepared me for the test. I thought that the MBE was easier than the Qbank/redbook questions I did. I had no clue on one of the essays but it was on a really obscure state law water rights issue so I can't really fault them for that.

There is not enough time to learn every last rule in ~18 areas of law. I think kaplan did a decent job of teaching the areas most likely to be tested. The goal is just to pass, you don't need to set any sort of high score record. My guess is that all of you are just being tough on yourselves and you probably did much better than you think--which it good.

Did you take the IL bar?

ArthurEdens

Postby ArthurEdens » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:53 pm

gypsy_mc wrote:I honestly felt that the Kaplan materials were decent...I at least knew what a fixture filing was. But I had no idea what to do with the personal representative question on one of our essays.

Yeah, the personal representative question got me. I didn't remember anything about it in the notes (I haven't checked, I could be wrong), so I just wrote something about a disinterested 3rd party.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:00 am

rock steady wrote:
emciosn wrote:I honestly feel pretty good about the way that kaplan prepared me for the test. I thought that the MBE was easier than the Qbank/redbook questions I did. I had no clue on one of the essays but it was on a really obscure state law water rights issue so I can't really fault them for that.

Did you take the IL bar?

Oh yeah, that surface water question was ridiculous. I looked up the IL rule--the state has its own unique deviation from the common law. How the hell are we all supposed to know that? So dumb. Maybe they figure if we know that obscure shit we know all the easy stuff too.

All in all I though the other essays were pretty fair. I didn't really know the family law/wills and estates question at the end but that is probably more on me. One thing I think kaplan did wrong is teaching us Illinois-specific wills and estatew (IL has not adopted the uniform probate code apparently)--which seems kind of silly when most of the essays are MEE and should be answered according to majority rules. Tough to know what to do there though, besides learning both the Illinois and national probate law. Just shows how silly it is to only test on IL law for 1.5 hours over the whole two days.

rock steady

Postby rock steady » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:12 am

emciosn wrote:
rock steady wrote:

Did you take the IL bar?

Oh yeah, that surface water question was ridiculous. I looked up the IL rule--the state has its own unique deviation from the common law. How the hell are we all supposed to know that? So dumb. Maybe they figure if we know that obscure shit we know all the easy stuff too.

All in all I though the other essays were pretty fair. I didn't really know the family law/wills and estates question at the end but that is probably more on me. One thing I think kaplan did wrong is teaching us Illinois-specific wills and estatew (IL has not adopted the uniform probate code apparently)--which seems kind of silly when most of the essays are MEE and should be answered according to majority rules. Tough to know what to do there though, besides learning both the Illinois and national probate law. Just shows how silly it is to only test on IL law for 1.5 hours over the whole two days.

Yeah, that surface water question was insane. I saved that for last since I wanted to get to the IL Civ Pro / Evidence question, but needless to say that surface water "answer" I wrote was crap. Basically, I just wanted to put something, anything down. I'm just hoping enough people had a wtf moment there also.

I thought the MEE was much better, but the IEE was a bit more challenging, especially that second question. Just glad our score is 50/50 essays and MBE because I wasn't feeling too hot about that morning essay session.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:17 am

rock steady wrote:
emciosn wrote:
rock steady wrote:

Did you take the IL bar?

Yeah, that surface water question was insane. I saved that for last since I wanted to get to the IL Civ Pro / Evidence question, but needless to say that surface water "answer" I wrote was crap. Basically, I just wanted to put something, anything down. I'm just hoping enough people had a wtf moment there also.

I thought the MEE was much better, but the IEE was a bit more challenging, especially that second question. Just glad our score is 50/50 essays and MBE because I wasn't feeling too hot about that morning essay session.

Yeah the civ pro/evidence question was nice and straight forward (the other two not so much). I think the MEE was better as well. If you do well enough on the MBE you can really bomb the essay and be ok so I don't think we have too much to worry about... hopefully. Also IL's pass rate is like 84% or something--I really don't want to be in that 16% (plus my school's rate is in the high 90's, just don't want to be "that guy").

I think the sentiment of a lot of the IL bar takers was that they were a little shaken up by the IEE. But I'm guessing that most if not all of the IL bar takers on these boards passed. Its better to be a little hard on ourselves now though in case to worse does come to pass.

rock steady

Postby rock steady » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:26 am

emciosn wrote:
rock steady wrote:
emciosn wrote:
rock steady wrote:
Did you take the IL bar?

Yeah the civ pro/evidence question was nice and straight forward (the other two not so much). I think the MEE was better as well. If you do well enough on the MBE you can really bomb the essay and be ok so I don't think we have too much to worry about... hopefully. Also IL's pass rate is like 84% or something--I really don't want to be in that 16% (plus my school's rate is in the high 90's, just don't want to be "that guy").

I think the sentiment of a lot of the IL bar takers was that they were a little shaken up by the IEE. But I'm guessing that most if not all of the IL bar takers on these boards passed. Its better to be a little hard on ourselves now though in case to worse does come to pass.

Yeah re: doing well enough on the MBE that you can bomb the essays, when you say bomb the essays, you're talking about basically writing crap throughout both sessions, right? One bad essay isn't going to kill us, I'd hope. (I think each non-MPT essays is like 4.75% of our grade). Just trying to rationalize, and I'm probably being a bit paranoid. Just hate waiting until October.

I thought the MBE was challenging but manageable. Lots of traps for sure though so I literally pushed each session to the very end for the MBE.

MG95

Postby MG95 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Last edited by MG95 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArthurEdens

Postby ArthurEdens » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:03 pm

M_n_M wrote:

I feel the total opposite. The MBE was harder than any of the questions Kaplan tested us on. I think they did a horrible job preparing us.

Kaplan's MBE final seemed harder to me.

If I have one regret about my studying, it is that I didn't focus enough on SCOTUS precedent. They tested the shit out of that.

mness

Postby mness » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:51 pm

M_n_M wrote:
Torvon wrote:

Seriously.

I think they did a decent job teaching us broad concepts, but the MBE seemed incredibly nuanced. A lot of those nuances I don't remember learning. Like the exception for permitting a search of personal items at school with just reasonable suspicion.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”