KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SAOJD10

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby SAOJD10 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Some of Kaplan's sample answers for their essays for my state are the absolute biggest flame - also they state wrong state specific law

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:12 am

tstyler98 wrote:
Doritos wrote:
mness wrote:Lets look at the numbers.

Kaplan said every year the average score is between 106 and 108 on their final, but that most students score 30 points higher on test day. That would mean their average student gets a barely passing score on the real deal. The median MBE score of all exams on test day was 145 in July 2010. So is Kaplan telling us that their students do worse than average? Great.

Well this fills me with confidence...

Most people never find out what their actual MBE score was so there's no way to know really. They probably also say 30 points just to not give people false sense of security thinking they can blow off the MBE.

Quick question: do you happen to know anything about how the NC essays are graded? Do they really hand out 1s and 2s like candy?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:41 am

los blancos wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:
Most people never find out what their actual MBE score was so there's no way to know really. They probably also say 30 points just to not give people false sense of security thinking they can blow off the MBE.

Quick question: do you happen to know anything about how the NC essays are graded? Do they really hand out 1s and 2s like candy?

I don't. All I know is what you guys have talked about on here. I wish I knew cause I'm nervous about the essays as well. All I keep telling myself is that the majority of people pass the first time and I'm sure they didn't all completely rock the essays.

mness

Postby mness » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Now that we're getting closer to the test, how's everyone doing on the Qbank questions? I've been doing mixed sets in the qbank every day with 25-30 questions and have been averaging around 70%. Sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower. I don't know if this is good or bad.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:08 pm

mness wrote:Now that we're getting closer to the test, how's everyone doing on the Qbank questions? I've been doing mixed sets in the qbank every day with 25-30 questions and have been averaging around 70%. Sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower. I don't know if this is good or bad.

Same here I've been getting between 60-75%, usually in the mid-60s range. I wish there was some information on what is a good score, although apparently in FL you need 65% (with variations based on the scale I guess).

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:41 pm

mness wrote:Now that we're getting closer to the test, how's everyone doing on the Qbank questions? I've been doing mixed sets in the qbank every day with 25-30 questions and have been averaging around 70%. Sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower. I don't know if this is good or bad.

Ultimately depends on how it's weighted in your state and how you do on your essays, but you'll probably be OK on the MBE front.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:17 pm

California test takers:

Does anyone know how the Kaplan grading standards (red/orange/yellow/green) correspond to the points given on the essays?

Might it be something like Red=40-50; Orange=50-60; Yellow=60-70; Green=75+?

(edit for grammar)

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:05 pm

If you got a 126 raw on the Final MBE how hard should you hit the books on MBE practice? I dont have time to listen to the lecture so i was wondering if anyone knows

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:44 pm

S de Garmeaux wrote:California test takers:

Does anyone know how the Kaplan grading standards (red/orange/yellow/green) correspond to the points given on the essays?

Might it be something like Red=40-50; Orange=50-60; Yellow=60-70; Green=75+?

(edit for grammar)

I'd say green is at least 80. Kaplan seems to use a straight percentage scale. Like if the grader thinks your issue was not stated clearly, you might get half credit for that (half-filled box), but that is the same amount as getting half credit on an analysis section. I'd imagine on the real bar, those two things would be treated differently. Also, Kaplan grading doesn't take into account holistic considerations.

mness

Postby mness » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Just checking in for some more Kaplan venting and to commiserate with the previous poster who noticed that Kaplan model essay answers sometimes get the law straight up wrong. I've been going through some essays and just outlining the issues and then comparing them to the Kaplan model answers.

One essay question involved a structural defect in a house that was sold. I flagged duty to disclose defects and intentional misrepresentation as the two main issues. I look at the Kaplan answer, and it talks about warranty of habitability (this was not a lease) and negligence. Feeling deflated, I decided to check the state bar website's "best essay" for that one. Sure enough, the best essay talked about duty to disclose defects and intentional misrepresentation -- nothing about warranty of habitability or negligence. Seriously?!

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:58 pm

mness wrote:Just checking in for some more Kaplan venting and to commiserate with the previous poster who noticed that Kaplan model essay answers sometimes get the law straight up wrong. I've been going through some essays and just outlining the issues and then comparing them to the Kaplan model answers.

One essay question involved a structural defect in a house that was sold. I flagged duty to disclose defects and intentional misrepresentation as the two main issues. I look at the Kaplan answer, and it talks about warranty of habitability (this was not a lease) and negligence. Feeling deflated, I decided to check the state bar website's "best essay" for that one. Sure enough, the best essay talked about duty to disclose defects and intentional misrepresentation -- nothing about warranty of habitability or negligence. Seriously?!

Keep in mind the sample answers are not necessarily the best answers. That said, my notes say

o Duty to disclose material latent defects – generally applies to commercial builders & developers
o Modern: Implied warranty of habitability (residential leases only)

Might be a common law vs. modern law issue or a commercial vs. residential issue, though you did say it was not a lease. Or some state distinction?

I agree Kaplan's model answers aren't the best and wouldn't rely on them too much. Today I looked at a few and the analysis section did exactly what we aren't supposed to do according to them: Spit out a more rules than facts and be done with it.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:27 am

Is the MPT video worth watching? How has everyone gone about preparing for it?

eastcoaster09

Postby eastcoaster09 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:13 pm

To add to the general Kaplan bash, is anyone else annoyed with the fact that there is no option to practice questions you have previously gotten wrong? I keep trying to review weaker areas but every time I narrow the questions into a sub-category the same questions (which I have never gotten wrong) keep showing up repeatedly. This, on top of the fact that you cant pull up a specific question by reference number, makes me wish I had just gone with barbri (which has the options). Blehhhhhh 7 more days.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:23 pm

mness wrote:Just checking in for some more Kaplan venting and to commiserate with the previous poster who noticed that Kaplan model essay answers sometimes get the law straight up wrong. I've been going through some essays and just outlining the issues and then comparing them to the Kaplan model answers.

I had a similar issue. It was an essay with something like: Grantor conveyed "to A and B, as joint tenants with right of survivorship, but if A or B ever transfer an interest, voluntarily or involuntarily, to a third party, then Grantor shall have the right of reentry." The sample essay straight up said that Grantor either created a joint tenancy or a fee simple subject to condition subsequent, but that it couldn't be both. I brought the issue up to Ask an Expert. The expert agreed with me that the sample essay was incorrect and said he or she would bring the issue to Kaplan's attention.

I think it's also important to remember that they are sample essays, not model essays.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Does anyone know if we can review our essays/MPTs after they're submitted but before they're graded? The system doesn't seem to allow it, and I've had two essays pending for over a week now...all I want to do is compare my answer to my state's model answers!!

I've pretty much given up on the Kaplan essays, except for MPT practice.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:48 pm

astro1819 wrote:Does anyone know if we can review our essays/MPTs after they're submitted but before they're graded? The system doesn't seem to allow it, and I've had two essays pending for over a week now...all I want to do is compare my answer to my state's model answers!!

If you click on the link in the bottom right hand corner (where it shows essays and the corresponding "color" grade) - the essay that is non-graded will show up.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:52 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:
astro1819 wrote:Does anyone know if we can review our essays/MPTs after they're submitted but before they're graded? The system doesn't seem to allow it, and I've had two essays pending for over a week now...all I want to do is compare my answer to my state's model answers!!

If you click on the link in the bottom right hand corner (where it shows essays and the corresponding "color" grade) - the essay that is non-graded will show up.

Nice, I found it from your instructions, via the homepage. Thanks!

cabartaker13

Postby cabartaker13 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:14 am

Any idea what score is passing for the Kaplan Final MBE? Or where I can see how I stack up against everyone else who took it last week?

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:01 am

cabartaker13 wrote:Any idea what score is passing for the Kaplan Final MBE? Or where I can see how I stack up against everyone else who took it last week?

Did you get an email from your regional director by any chance? Chris Fromm talks about it: https://liveonline.kaptest.com/p2w9k1cv3t4/

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:01 am

a male human wrote:
cabartaker13 wrote:Any idea what score is passing for the Kaplan Final MBE? Or where I can see how I stack up against everyone else who took it last week?

Did you get an email from your regional director by any chance? Chris Fromm talks about it: https://liveonline.kaptest.com/p2w9k1cv3t4/

Is it just me or did the lecture change? I swear he talked about the scoring and whatnot last week from that link but now he's talking about wise men and building houses.

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Doritos wrote:
a male human wrote:

Is it just me or did the lecture change? I swear he talked about the scoring and whatnot last week from that link but now he's talking about wise men and building houses.

You're right. It was 25 minutes when I saw it last week, but now it's 19 minutes. The scoring part was cut out for some reason?

Well anyway IIRC he said 110 was the national average, but you can add 15 points to make up for easy questions and another 15 for the scaling done by the state bar. Low was in the 60s, and someone got a 170 something. My plan is to do well on the MBE so I can just get 50s on the essays ......

eastcoaster09

Postby eastcoaster09 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Is anyone else experiencing delays/freezing after submitting a question/quiz today? I'm able to access every other site I visit fine but for some reason the kaplan site keeps taking forever to load.

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:46 pm

i just want my essays graded within 3 days please

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:45 pm

These MBE criminal procedure questions in the big red book are an absolute joke. Some are wrong on the law and others add facts in the explanation as to why one answer is better than another.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:54 am

Torvon wrote:These MBE criminal procedure questions in the big red book are an absolute joke. Some are wrong on the law and others add facts in the explanation as to why one answer is better than another.

Here I was feeling relieved about getting more of them right than I thought ;(

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”