KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Doritos

Re: KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Postby Doritos » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:15 am

Silverback wrote:I agree with the quality of the state lectures.

I am doing my state's civil procedure lecture, and it doesn't match up with the bar notes or the outline. I seems to me as though Kaplan recycle's old lectures, bar notes, and outlines. I think the federal civil procedure one is about 10 years old because we were given a "supplement" to "update us" on civil procedure which highlighted laws that were passed years ago. It is as if the bar notes, lectures, etc. were all produced at different times and do not correlate very well. Additionally, the checkpoint quizzes test on matters that were not even mentioned in the lecture.

At this point, I feel like I am wasting my time with the state specific material because it takes me forever to get through a lecture since I need to rewind it so many times and reference the outline. After I interpret the cryptic message that can only be revealed by referencing both sources, I have to find out where to put the information in my disorganized bar notes. I think they try to save money or something by not updating this stuff frequently or updating portions of the materials at different times, such as updating the outlines one year and not the lectures. It appears to be somewhat of a jumbled mess.

I guess this stuff isn't as crucial. Idk.

I'd recommend looking at practice essays to figure out the issues that the bar examiners are testing. It helps get an idea of the level of detail that you need I think. It helped me at least.

I agree that the state stuff isn't great but at least we have all the resources we need to pass. I mean between the practice questions, practice essays, and long outline if you just practice and study the stuff they highlight you're golden.

Silverback

Postby Silverback » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Doritos wrote:

I am doing my state's civil procedure lecture, and it doesn't match up with the bar notes or the outline. I seems to me as though Kaplan recycle's old lectures, bar notes, and outlines. I think the federal civil procedure one is about 10 years old because we were given a "supplement" to "update us" on civil procedure which highlighted laws that were passed years ago. It is as if the bar notes, lectures, etc. were all produced at different times and do not correlate very well. Additionally, the checkpoint quizzes test on matters that were not even mentioned in the lecture.

At this point, I feel like I am wasting my time with the state specific material because it takes me forever to get through a lecture since I need to rewind it so many times and reference the outline. After I interpret the cryptic message that can only be revealed by referencing both sources, I have to find out where to put the information in my disorganized bar notes. I think they try to save money or something by not updating this stuff frequently or updating portions of the materials at different times, such as updating the outlines one year and not the lectures. It appears to be somewhat of a jumbled mess.

I'd recommend looking at practice essays to figure out the issues that the bar examiners are testing. It helps get an idea of the level of detail that you need I think. It helped me at least.

I agree that the state stuff isn't great but at least we have all the resources we need to pass. I mean between the practice questions, practice essays, and long outline if you just practice and study the stuff they highlight you're golden.

I guess I was being a bit too hardcore with my studies. At least, at this point, I am thinking I have been.

With the MBE topics, I was making an "attack" outline or "one-sheet" after completing the lecture, bar notes, and questions in the workbook and the checkpoint quizzes. This was manageable since the lectures for one topic would last a few days giving me enough time to complete my attack outline for the previous subject. As for the state subjects, I have fallen way behind on my attack outlines for each subject since the course moves very quickly. I suppose I shouldn't be as neurotic over these sections since they are less important, and if I do not outline them, it will not be a complete loss.

Before, when I was trying to outline every single subject, I would be working for about 10 hours or so a day, and I think that schedule is starting to burn me out, especially when I was doing some work on the weekend as well. I guess I shouldn't be studying these state subjects with the same amount of intensity as I was with the MBE subjects.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Silverback wrote:
Doritos wrote:

I guess I was being a bit too hardcore with my studies. At least, at this point, I am thinking I have been.

With the MBE topics, I was making an "attack" outline or "one-sheet" after completing the lecture, bar notes, and questions in the workbook and the checkpoint quizzes. This was manageable since the lectures for one topic would last a few days giving me enough time to complete my attack outline for the previous subject. As for the state subjects, I have fallen way behind on my attack outlines for each subject since the course moves very quickly. I suppose I shouldn't be as neurotic over these sections since they are less important, and if I do not outline them, it will not be a complete loss.

Before, when I was trying to outline every single subject, I would be working for about 10 hours or so a day, and I think that schedule is starting to burn me out, especially when I was doing some work on the weekend as well. I guess I shouldn't be studying these state subjects with the same amount of intensity as I was with the MBE subjects.

Yeah, I think it's a better idea to pick your battles when it comes to the state topics. You know all the MBE sections are going to be tested with a fair amount of nuance. When it comes to state stuff, at least the state I'm taking, there is a lot less nuance and a much wider range of possible material. Some of it hasn't shown up on the bar in like 10 years so I'm just gonna make some flashcards for the big concepts when it comes to those materials. Other topics are on it basically every year so I'm probably going to treat that more like an MBE topic.

Also, on an unrelated note has anyone else had issues with the lectures like pausing and buffering forever? I've had to re-start some lectures like 10 times because it'll get caught in a buffer cycle.
Last edited by Doritos on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverback

Postby Silverback » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:48 pm

On Friday, I noticed that the lectures were lagging quite a bit and buffering every now and then. I didn't know if it was Kaplan or my internet connection, but I would guess that it was Kaplan since my internet is normally fine.

mness

Postby mness » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:18 pm

How are you guys doing on the MBE Qbank questions? I'm averaging 65-70%, which is basically what I was averaging 3 weeks ago. Disappointing.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:21 pm

mness wrote:How are you guys doing on the MBE Qbank questions? I'm averaging 65-70%, which is basically what I was averaging 3 weeks ago. Disappointing.

I feel like the Q's are getting harder, but I might just be going insane

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:10 pm

mness wrote:How are you guys doing on the MBE Qbank questions? I'm averaging 65-70%, which is basically what I was averaging 3 weeks ago. Disappointing.

I think once you do enough of those you start seeing all the question variations they can throw at you. I was hitting like 50-60% on my quizzes and then randomly jumped to like 70-80%. It just sort of happens. You'll be fine brah. Just keep hitting the Qbank. Though I will say I think they low-ball the number of questions you should be doing. Doing 33 like every other day just isn't enough for me to keep all that stuff fresh. I think doing at least 33 a day is more like it. But that's just me, do what works for you.

oklahomabreakdown

Postby oklahomabreakdown » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:49 pm

I'm not sure what to think about Qbank performance. I've been doing 10 questions a day in each subject. Most of my scores have settled around the 65-68% mark. In certain subjects I have done nearly every question in the bank, i.e., torts, and have seen no improvement, but really no drop off either. I'm letting my performance on the mid-term guide my approach. For instance, I got 88% of torts questions correct on the mid-term, and got a 149 overall. I really wanted to see some gradual improvement, but with everything being thrown at us I'm beginning to think holding steady is an accomplishment in itself.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:20 pm

oklahomabreakdown wrote:I'm not sure what to think about Qbank performance. I've been doing 10 questions a day in each subject. Most of my scores have settled around the 65-68% mark. In certain subjects I have done nearly every question in the bank, i.e., torts, and have seen no improvement, but really no drop off either. I'm letting my performance on the mid-term guide my approach. For instance, I got 88% of torts questions correct on the mid-term, and got a 149 overall. I really wanted to see some gradual improvement, but with everything being thrown at us I'm beginning to think holding steady is an accomplishment in itself.

A 149 raw is legit. I would just try to maintain that by doing some daily questions and focus on your essays. Just my 2 cents.

oklahomabreakdown

Postby oklahomabreakdown » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Doritos wrote:
oklahomabreakdown wrote:I'm not sure what to think about Qbank performance. I've been doing 10 questions a day in each subject. Most of my scores have settled around the 65-68% mark. In certain subjects I have done nearly every question in the bank, i.e., torts, and have seen no improvement, but really no drop off either. I'm letting my performance on the mid-term guide my approach. For instance, I got 88% of torts questions correct on the mid-term, and got a 149 overall. I really wanted to see some gradual improvement, but with everything being thrown at us I'm beginning to think holding steady is an accomplishment in itself.

A 149 raw is legit. I would just try to maintain that by doing some daily questions and focus on your essays. Just my 2 cents.

Yea, you are probably right. Just don't want to have some huge dropoff.

DNAgent

Postby DNAgent » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Who else is taking the NC course? I feel like the Family Law "Essay Trainer" guy today was both inebriated and suffering from Asperger's. Not to mention the audio had a horrible reverb echo. Fortunately the actual family law video was pretty decent, with a Duke professor, and actually followed the bar notes. Unlike the Corporate law video yesterday that took me 7 hours to finish :cry:

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:00 am

DNAgent wrote:Who else is taking the NC course? I feel like the Family Law "Essay Trainer" guy today was both inebriated and suffering from Asperger's. Not to mention the audio had a horrible reverb echo. Fortunately the actual family law video was pretty decent, with a Duke professor, and actually followed the bar notes. Unlike the Corporate law video yesterday that took me 7 hours to finish :cry:

I agree about the Essay Trainer video. But at least it wasn't too long.

nymario

Postby nymario » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:24 pm

I could not deal with the New York Family Law guy. I walked out on him after about 15 minutes and watched him on 1.5 speed. He was terrible.

mness

Postby mness » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:37 pm

I have a question about 3rd Party IIED recovery. The material is not so clear.

1. IIED Occurs and P is present
2. D knows of P's presence
3. P must be a close relative of the first-party IIED victim, UNLESS there is harm.

For element 3, is it harm to the 3rd party IIED plaintiff, or harm to the victim of the IIED itself?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:48 am

mness wrote:I have a question about 3rd Party IIED recovery. The material is not so clear.

1. IIED Occurs and P is present
2. D knows of P's presence
3. P must be a close relative of the first-party IIED victim, UNLESS there is harm.

For element 3, is it harm to the 3rd party IIED plaintiff, or harm to the victim of the IIED itself?

I believe it's actual harm to the 3d party IIED plaintiff.

Send the question to ask-an-expert. I've done it like 6 times already. They aren't super helpful but at least you have another resource to check it against

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:06 pm

the Cali corporations/partnership lectures were absolute misery. The entire outline was blank lines and he talked a mile a minute. How could anyone have gotten through all that without pausing a zillion times to write? I think my hand is ruined.

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:29 pm

courtneylove wrote:the Cali corporations/partnership lectures were absolute misery. The entire outline was blank lines and he talked a mile a minute. How could anyone have gotten through all that without pausing a zillion times to write? I think my hand is ruined.

But, for me at least, I now understand the damn subject. Got zero out of a semester's worth of rambling. Literally nothing. I think his point was that you only need the key things to worry about and he highlighted those well, and just zipped through the rest b/c he has to cover it for the company and doesn't want us seeing things not talked about. But it's going to be loyalty, care, s/h, director, officer liability, and agency issues -- if at all.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:35 pm

Basically exact same situation, but I do 66 random qs per day in two blocks. Every single time I am between 60 and 70%, usually around 63-66%. I just cant seem to improve no matter how much studying I do. I havent taken a mid-term or anything. Am I okay or do I need to do something different?

oklahomabreakdown

Postby oklahomabreakdown » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:42 pm

iShotFirst wrote:

Basically exact same situation, but I do 66 random qs per day in two blocks. Every single time I am between 60 and 70%, usually around 63-66%. I just cant seem to improve no matter how much studying I do. I havent taken a mid-term or anything. Am I okay or do I need to do something different?
iShotFirst wrote:

I would take the practice mid-term and see how it comes out.

mness

Postby mness » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:36 pm

How are you guys doing on the graded essays? I'm still usually getting "below the standard" or "well below the standard," but I know that in my state the average is around 45-50 percent on each essay. I'm a little freaked out.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:15 pm

mness wrote:How are you guys doing on the graded essays? I'm still usually getting "below the standard" or "well below the standard," but I know that in my state the average is around 45-50 percent on each essay. I'm a little freaked out.

I wouldn't worry . . . usually I am around "meets the standard" and had one essay that was "well above the standard" - but I have had a share of below the standard.

They are very arbitrary and only seem to apply the points to the pure issue spotting, no matter your analysis. Atleast thats what they have done for me

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:35 pm

mness wrote:How are you guys doing on the graded essays? I'm still usually getting "below the standard" or "well below the standard," but I know that in my state the average is around 45-50 percent on each essay. I'm a little freaked out.

Same here. About half of mine are below the standard or well below the standard. How do you find out how your state scores essays or the average or any of that?

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:05 pm

re: MBA qbank, I perform much better on questions I can read on paper. I have all but stopped doing qbank questions and am working exclusively in the red book right now. Something about reading off the screen and not being able to write on them throws me. I don't think it's a worthwhile way to practice anyway, considering we aren't doing the MBE portion on a computer. If I run out of red book questions I might go back to the qbank, but only then.

Also, I have resorted to retyping all of my bar notes into the downloadable versions of the outlines. I don't know how I studied off my own handwriting all through college!

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:05 pm

This lady that does Agency / Partnerships / Corporations for the MEE is horrible. The completed outline in the book often has a different number of elements/factors then her outline I am suppose to be filling out. The most recent one I have come across is elements of a 10b-5 action. Outline in the book has 5 elements and her outline only has spots for 4.

She has also said some things that I am pretty sure aren't true. For example, she said a director who participates in personal business dealings with the corporation has to show entire fairness in order to overcome the presumption of the business judgment rule. Do I not understand the BJR at all, or is she smoking something?

Also, anyone else been getting emails from Kaplan every now and then about being behind on the course and how you suck and should pretty much quit life? El oh el.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:20 pm

To anyone doing the questions in the PMBR red book - what %'s are you getting right in the lower 100's questions? I am around 120ish in all MBE subjects and recently I have been getting destroyed by some of these questions

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”