Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Points to pass CA Bar Exam
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:00 pm 

This has probably been beaten to death, but I understand you need 1440/2000 points to pass. Is this scaled or raw?

I hear out of 190 scored questions, we should aim to get 127-130 questions right? How is that converted to a scaled score?

And on the PT's and Essays we should aim for minimum of 62.5 average on all of them to barely pass and ideally 65 on all of them?

Post subject: Re: Points to pass CA Bar Exam
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:32 pm 

Gevalt! Don't even think of trying to psych out the bar exam! Just go in and do the best you can on all sections. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:25 pm 

I agree. Try to do equally well on all sections. Don't try to base your studying or performance on a point scale (it changes with every administration of the bar).

Also, just focusing on 1 section, such as the MBE, and blowing off essays or PTs won't help you. Try to assess your weaknesses and work on them. If you hate PTs and don't feel you're doing well, do 8 of them before the bar!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:34 pm 

This should answer all your q's

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/BarPr ... .23.08.pdf

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:55 am 

Take a look at the statistics for the July 2012 exam for example. Pass rates for first-time takers from ANY ABA approved law school in California was 77%. If you eliminate the Notorious Fourth Tiers, it goes up to the high 80s. Other research shows a high correlation between bar performance and class rank.

Moral: If you are in the top 2/3 of your class at a decent (T1/T2) school, you will very probably pass on your first attempt, even in California. If you survived Stanford or Berkeley or USC or UCLA without spending time on academic probation you could just about show up with a bad hangover and STILL pass (not that I recommend it). Pass rates for those schools historically BOTTOM OUT at about 88% and they not infrequently hit 100%.

Now...if you are finishing in the bottom third at a Notorious Fourth Tier, there is one piece of strategy you might consider and that's engaging an (expensive) tutorial service for essay writing. If law school was a struggle, your writing skills are probably the biggest reason why.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:48 pm 

Bottom 10 percent at good T1. I probably need to work on essay writing more than the MBE's then.

Me passing the bar right now seems like a 50/50 chance.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:57 pm 

Found this. No idea if its accurate. Fun to play around with though.

http://one-timers.com/calculate-your-final-bar-exam-grade