Strong MBE = AUTO bar pass

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
estamosjuntos

Re: Strong MBE = AUTO bar pass

Postby estamosjuntos » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:50 pm

Need to clarify something: Somebody told me the MBE score is a floor. so i.e. for New York you fail if you get below a 133 on the MBE regardless of whether you ace the essays. That true?

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:53 pm

estamosjuntos wrote:Need to clarify something: Somebody told me the MBE score is a floor. so i.e. for New York you fail if you get below a 133 on the MBE regardless of whether you ace the essays. That true?

Only true for a couple states. Not true in NY iirc.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:
estamosjuntos wrote:Need to clarify something: Somebody told me the MBE score is a floor. so i.e. for New York you fail if you get below a 133 on the MBE regardless of whether you ace the essays. That true?

Only true for a couple states. Not true in NY iirc.

not true in NY unless they've changed the rules for UBE

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:22 am

Playing around with statistics and such is the only thing keeping my sane at this point.

Need 270 to pass, 50%MBE.

70% on MBE = ~148 scaled score. So need 122 on essay/mpt portion to pass.

122 = ~13.5th percentile. Pretty sure I can do better on the essays than the dumbest 14% of people taking the AR bar. Like 55% sure at this point.

75% on mbe = ~157 scaled. So need 113 on essay/mpt to pass.

113 = ~5th percentile. I can definitely score better than the dumbest 5% of people taking the AR bar. Like 75% certain. Maybe. Probably. What's a secured transaction again?

btw if anyone wants to compute their own numbers,

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/portals/4/documents/unsuccessful_info.pdf - this gives you raw to scaled conversion. So % correct x 190, then input that into the table to get scaled.

http://sphweb.bumc.bu.edu/otlt/MPH-Modules/BS/BS704_Probability/BS704_Probability10.html - use this to calculate the percentile for a given score. Use 139.9 as the mean and 16.1 as stdev (from last July's bar exam). Calculator is at the bottom.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:04 pm

Can someone post percentiles for NY/UBE essays?

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:34 pm

Br3v wrote:Can someone post percentiles for NY/UBE essays?

Do UBE states not scale them to the MBE scale like everyone else?

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:34 pm

spyke123 wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Eldon Tyrell wrote:
Crowing wrote:I haven't been to TLS since 1L, but I'm freaking out about the bar and basically not comprehending how so many people pass this thing.

Sorry for not reading this thread in depth, but I'm wondering what might be a good raw score to shoot for in IL in order to compensate for completely shitting the bed on the essays?

I'm currently running around 150-160 raw in Themis PQs, so I'd just like to get an idea of where I should get to.

How are law students so smart and so stupid at the same time.

I know this is TLS, but relax man. I tried to Google a conversion from raw into scaled and I couldn't find an exact answer. I understand that the IL bar has supposedly gotten harder year to year. Themis is pushing for 70% plus, and I'm not sure if I'll get that on test day with nerves.

I'm really not good at the essays--spitting out rules is pretty difficult for me, so I'm hoping to count on MBE/MPT to get me through. So I'm just trying to get a concrete idea of what I need.

sorry, 150-160 raw isn't high enough. see you in February

You'll be there in February?

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:36 pm

Eldon Tyrell wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Eldon Tyrell wrote:
Crowing wrote:I haven't been to TLS since 1L, but I'm freaking out about the bar and basically not comprehending how so many people pass this thing.

Sorry for not reading this thread in depth, but I'm wondering what might be a good raw score to shoot for in IL in order to compensate for completely shitting the bed on the essays?

I'm currently running around 150-160 raw in Themis PQs, so I'd just like to get an idea of where I should get to.

How are law students so smart and so stupid at the same time.

I know this is TLS, but relax man. I tried to Google a conversion from raw into scaled and I couldn't find an exact answer. I understand that the IL bar has supposedly gotten harder year to year. Themis is pushing for 70% plus, and I'm not sure if I'll get that on test day with nerves.

I'm really not good at the essays--spitting out rules is pretty difficult for me, so I'm hoping to count on MBE/MPT to get me through. So I'm just trying to get a concrete idea of what I need.

You graduated from one of the top law schools in the country, taking an 80% pass rate bar and couldn't even read a few pages of this thread before you started freaking out. This makes you a really smart idiot.

chill, son, chill

ellewoods123

Postby ellewoods123 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:38 pm

bumping this thread. anyone have any data on highest MBE score that still resulted in failing?

I bombed the MEE and MPT (UBE jurisdiction) and have to reread this thread often to refrain my sobbing daily.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”