Strong MBE = AUTO bar pass Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JenDarby

Diamond

Re: Strong MBE = AUTO bar pass

Post by JenDarby » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:24 pm

LawGuy321 wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
dwyf wrote:Lean sheets? What are they and can I please have them?
Lean sheets are amazing. If you like them on fb there is traditionally a discount (to the already low price of $30 or something)

http://www.leansheets.com
+1 lean sheets passed the bar for me
Sounds awesome! Any promo codes people know of? Didn't have one on FB...
rinkrat19 wrote:Thanks for this. I bought them last night. If you like their FB page, there's an App to the left called Welcome that has the code.

LawGuy321

Bronze

Post by LawGuy321 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:41 pm

JenDarby wrote:
LawGuy321 wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Lean sheets are amazing. If you like them on fb there is traditionally a discount (to the already low price of $30 or something)

rinkrat19 wrote:Thanks for this. I bought them last night. If you like their FB page, there's an App to the left called Welcome that has the code.
#BOUGHT Thanks! 20% off...dang. Everyone should get this.

How did you print them? Is anyone going quality cardstock on these? Worried I might mess them up if I just print on paper.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:49 pm

LawGuy321 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
LawGuy321 wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

#BOUGHT Thanks! 20% off...dang. Everyone should get this.

How did you print them? Is anyone going quality cardstock on these? Worried I might mess them up if I just print on paper.
So print them again if you wreck a copy.

sponge268

New

Post by sponge268 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:25 pm

-------
Last edited by sponge268 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gainfully Unemployed

New

Post by Gainfully Unemployed » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:37 am

There was some discussion about this earlier in this thread, but does anyone know how transferring an MBE score to Wisconsin works? WI will take an MBE above 135 and requires a 258 overall between the MBE and its essay portion. But I can't figure out whether a transferred MBE would be considered part of the 258. Would really like to know if my MBE will result in a de facto autopass.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:24 pm

Gainfully Unemployed wrote:There was some discussion about this earlier in this thread, but does anyone know how transferring an MBE score to Wisconsin works? WI will take an MBE above 135 and requires a 258 overall between the MBE and its essay portion. But I can't figure out whether a transferred MBE would be considered part of the 258. Would really like to know if my MBE will result in a de facto autopass.
Pretty sure you need to go to the NCBE's website, login, and go from there. Not sure about the exact process, but you should start with the NCBE

https://accounts.ncbex.org/php/ncbe_num ... reServices

https://www.wicourts.gov/services/attorney/barexam.htm

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:36 pm

My bar prep for this last week will be reading this thread over and over
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:57 am

Danger Zone wrote:My bar prep for this last week will be reading this thread over and over
Write law words and have the a solid structure on essays.

Crush MBE.

Get one or two state multiple choose questions correct.

You're good. Also binge watch seasons of shows the couple of days before the bar. Don't over stress.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:46 pm

for the last week i slept like 18 hours a day

not sure what happened there

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:18 am

JenDarby wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:My bar prep for this last week will be reading this thread over and over

Crush MBE.

You're good. Also binge watch seasons of shows the couple of days before the bar. Don't over stress.
How'd you manage the state subjects without studying for them? Just knew enough law to spot the issues and then pull a rule completely out of your ass?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:38 am

orangecup wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

Crush MBE.

How'd you manage the state subjects without studying for them? Just knew enough law to spot the issues and then pull a rule completely out of your ass?
If you know the MBE rules then you're generally competent enough to address enough state matters.

I did study state subjects, insofar as I watched the videos at 1.5X speed and read the lean sheets information. I also did maybe 50 total practice questions.

If you do well enough on MBE then you just need to do something at all on state portions.

Also the NY multiple choice are such a shit show IME that it would have required a disproportionate amount of studying for their worth to feel really confident in our answers.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:42 am

El Pollito wrote:for the last week i slept like 18 hours a day

This is happening to me

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:50 am

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
El Pollito wrote:for the last week i slept like 18 hours a day

This is happening to me
It's a real effort to get out of bed before noon

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ixwad

New

Post by ixwad » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:16 pm

Gainfully Unemployed wrote:There was some discussion about this earlier in this thread, but does anyone know how transferring an MBE score to Wisconsin works? WI will take an MBE above 135 and requires a 258 overall between the MBE and its essay portion. But I can't figure out whether a transferred MBE would be considered part of the 258. Would really like to know if my MBE will result in a de facto autopass.
I'm doing this and asked this question -- the BBE gave me this response:

"You need a total score of at least 258 to pass the exam. So the score you transferred as MBE is added to the essay scores, and if that score is 150, you would need your essay scores to total at least 108 in order to pass the exam."

Sure hoping this works!

DesperadoOfColumbia

New

Post by DesperadoOfColumbia » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:02 am

I'm just glad everyone is freaking out. Like me.

I'm at Barbri raw 122 and I'm taking Emanuel tomorrow, but generally I'm at 65-75% MBE on Emmanuel (and quite a bit lower on Barbri) anyway, so I figure that's pretty much where I'll be unless I have a heart attack or something. 135 scaled 50/25/25 to pass (DC's not a state so at least we don't have a state section).

Barbri essays scorers are crap. One gave me a perfect score, one docked me points for not numbering my elements, come on. I'm gonna give my MEE topics one last go and my Civ Pro (my weakest) but otherwise I think this is it. Hope the Airbnb I found next to the testing location isn't suck, I'm getting some random couple's couch-bed in the living room. I hope they like me spending most of the time there pretending not to be a neurotic mess.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:07 am

DesperadoOfColumbia wrote:I'm just glad everyone is freaking out. Like me.

I'm at Barbri raw 122 and I'm taking Emanuel tomorrow, but generally I'm at 65-75% MBE on Emmanuel (and quite a bit lower on Barbri) anyway, so I figure that's pretty much where I'll be unless I have a heart attack or something. 135 scaled 50/25/25 to pass (DC's not a state so at least we don't have a state section).

Barbri essays scorers are crap. One gave me a perfect score, one docked me points for not numbering my elements, come on. I'm gonna give my MEE topics one last go and my Civ Pro (my weakest) but otherwise I think this is it. Hope the Airbnb I found next to the testing location isn't suck, I'm getting some random couple's couch-bed in the living room. I hope they like me spending most of the time there pretending not to be a neurotic mess.
Barbri's essay grading is retarded. For one of their graded essays, I took their own model answer, re-typed it myself, submitted it, and got a 70. Not that that's a bad score or anything, but it should have been a 100. The only comments I received were things like "put this in a new paragraph." :roll:

DesperadoOfColumbia

New

Post by DesperadoOfColumbia » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:18 am

brotherdarkness wrote:

Barbri's essay grading is retarded. For one of their graded essays, I took their own model answer, re-typed it myself, submitted it, and got a 70. Not that that's a bad score or anything, but it should have been a 100. The only comments I received were things like "put this in a new paragraph." :roll:

Haha my crim law one literally didn't get any comments at all, not sure if they read it or not (they gave me 15/15, what the hell is the scale? The other ones were on a scale of 1-9 or something and I got 6 and 7s.) My family law one I addressed an issue in a different order from their sample and they docked me for not addressing it at all. At this point I feel like they're outsourcing grading to either temps or Filipino call centers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:40 am

DesperadoOfColumbia wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:

Haha my crim law one literally didn't get any comments at all, not sure if they read it or not (they gave me 15/15, what the hell is the scale? The other ones were on a scale of 1-9 or something and I got 6 and 7s.) My family law one I addressed an issue in a different order from their sample and they docked me for not addressing it at all. At this point I feel like they're outsourcing grading to either temps or Filipino call centers.

None of that is too far off from how it's actually graded on the real thing.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:53 pm

ixwad wrote:
I'm doing this and asked this question -- the BBE gave me this response:

"You need a total score of at least 258 to pass the exam. So the score you transferred as MBE is added to the essay scores, and if that score is 150, you would need your essay scores to total at least 108 in order to pass the exam."

Sure hoping this works!
Anyone know what the essay scores in WI actually mean? Having a tough time finding percentiles. I imagine between the MPT and a high MBE transferred in you wouldn't really have to study for WI?

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:57 pm

Just wanted to report success using this method in a 40% MBE state. I spent about 95% of my prep time on the MBE. Never did a practice essay until 7 days to the exam, only spent about 10 hours on essay practice, after 10ish listening to state-specific lectures. Everything else was just MBE, MBE, MBE. I think it really helped to be able to spend so much time on just the six MBE subjects instead of jumping around on all those goddamned state-specific subjects.

No idea what my score was unfortunately, so maybe I barely passed.
JenDarby wrote: Write law words and have the a solid structure on essays.
This became like my mantra every time I was worried about the essays. I didn't really know anything too specific for the essays. So mostly I just wrote based on general knowledge of the law, taking my best guess what the law would be. Honestly, I think the average essay is probably pretty crappy, and if you do well on the MBE, you can pass being significantly below average on that part.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Wed May 18, 2016 1:30 pm

Bump for new cycle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ultimolugar

Bronze

Post by ultimolugar » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:03 pm

So, how would this theory work out in FL? 272 to pass, 50% MBE.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:57 pm

ultimolugar wrote:So, how would this theory work out in FL? 272 to pass, 50% MBE.
Well, everything is scaled to MBE, so take a look at these MBE stats: http://www.ncbex.org/publications/stati ... tatistics/

A 105 is ~2nd percentile. A 165 is ~90th percentile. In a state with a 270 pass score and 50% MBE, if you can get a 165 MBE, you only need to be 2nd percentile or better on the rest of the exam. If you can get a 155 MBE (73rd percentile), you only need to be 7th percentile or better (115) on the rest of the exam.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:20 pm

BVest wrote:
ultimolugar wrote:So, how would this theory work out in FL? 272 to pass, 50% MBE.
Well, everything is scaled to MBE, so take a look at these MBE stats: http://www.ncbex.org/publications/stati ... tatistics/

A 105 is ~2nd percentile. A 165 is ~90th percentile. In a state with a 270 pass score and 50% MBE, if you can get a 165 MBE, you only need to be 2nd percentile or better on the rest of the exam. If you can get a 155 MBE (73rd percentile), you only need to be 7th percentile or better (115) on the rest of the exam.
What is the highest MBE score that you know of personally and that you can verify? i.e., your score, saw some friends score, ect?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:34 pm

Among my friends that I know of: 168. I got a 160.8.

Here's a spreadsheet of last summer's MBE scores along with how folks were doing on the practice exams: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”