Strong MBE = AUTO bar pass Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
redsox550

Re: Strong MBE = AUTO bar pass

Post by redsox550 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Can someone check my math and numbers:

50% mbe
50% FL

FL section made up of 50% MC 50% essays - FL MC = 25% of test and FL essays = 25% of test

3 essays make up essay portion
25%/3 = 8.33 = each essay is worth 8.333% of test

now the tricky part:
- each essay scored out of 100 points. a Great score is 50, a not bottom 10% score but bad score is lets say 30 points.
- thus if you screw up one essay, but not super horrendously u are only sacrificing at most 20 points on one essay. One essay is 8.333%. 20 points is 1/5 of one essay score. 1/5th of 8.3333% is 1.666%.

Thus the difference between a great essay and a pretty bad one is just 1.666% of the test.

Whered I go wrong?

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:17 am

I'm using the pure UBE score estimator that has been floating around (50% MBE / 20% MPT / 30% MEE).

I get that if I do alright on the MBE and MPT that I can score in the ~3%ile on MEE and still pass. My question is: How bad is a bottom 3% MEE (roughly a 65 proportional scaled score on the section)? Are we talking multiple blank essay answers here?

robyn0422

New

Post by robyn0422 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:19 am

Does anyone know why the mean MBE score is always higher in July than in February?

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:02 am

crumb cake wrote:I get that if I do alright on the MBE and MPT that I can score in the ~3%ile on MEE and still pass. My question is: How bad is a bottom 3% MEE (roughly a 65 proportional scaled score on the section)? Are we talking multiple blank essay answers here?
No one can give you a definitive answer here, but bottom 5-10% performance on any standardized test is catastrophic, and probably indicates a failure to complete significant portions of the test. For example, a 10th percentile score on the LSAT is a 138. If you were a 160 scorer on the LSAT, you could have scored a 138 just by finishing the first two sections and then leaving. If you had done the first 12 or so questions normally and then just guessed randomly on every other one, you'd get about a 3rd percentile score. You have to be drunk or just give up to score that low.

Remember, the whole point of this thread is that it's really, really easy to get a not-terrible score on the essays, which is why you can pretty much guarantee passing with a strong MBE score. On the other hand, I think it's probably really damn hard to get a great score on the essays. So focus on the MBE.
robyn0422 wrote:Does anyone know why the mean MBE score is always higher in July than in February?
February has a higher percentage of people who failed previous tests.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:05 am

robyn0422 wrote:Does anyone know why the mean MBE score is always higher in July than in February?
I would surmise it's because Feb takers contain a higher % of retakers.

ETA: Scooped

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

robyn0422

New

Post by robyn0422 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:01 am

First, thank you for this thread. I am consistently averaging raw scores of 65-75% (72% on simulated MBE) on Barbri MBE practice tests. Any way to predict my approximate scaled MBE score, and what % I will need to be within for the MEE/MPT in a jurisdiction that weighs MBE at 50% and MBE/MPT 50%.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:55 am

anon sequitur wrote:
February has a higher percentage of people who failed previous tests.
For example, in July 2016, 80% of Texas examinees were first-time takers; in February 2017, only 49% were first time takers.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:16 pm

So I see the bottom 1% of MEE still score above 100. I got a 166 on the MBE, if I just left all the essays blank would I have still gotten my required 266? Do you just get like 100 points automatically for the essays?

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:38 am

dusters wrote:So I see the bottom 1% of MEE still score above 100. I got a 166 on the MBE, if I just left all the essays blank would I have still gotten my required 266? Do you just get like 100 points automatically for the essays?
Nobody knows where the floor is here. It's very possible that a hugely bad faith effort like that would ruin the autopass method.

Just checking in to say that I largely followed the logic of this thread and devoted about 85% of my study time to the MBE subjects for the Illinois test and it worked. Il doesn't give the score breakdown so I have no idea how close I was but I had literally no idea what to write on several of the essays and just ended up making up law. So trust the process and don't give the essay material more time than they deserve.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:17 pm

Bump because I’m curious about essay point scaling

Realabu

New

Post by Realabu » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi All,

I realize this is an old thread but it seems relevant to an issue I am encountering and wanted to see if I could get some clarification. I am currently in the early stages of considering the possibility of a move to Michigan. I'd been dreading having to take the full bar exam again, but just today discovered that it may be possible to transfer my MBE score over and only have to take the essay portion.

I've been looking into the pass score requirements for Michigan and my understanding is that the minimum is (Scaled MBE Score + Essay Score)/2 = 135.

However, I'm confused about the Essay Score portion of the formula as I've read that the essays are scored out of 150 points. Is this then scaled to be on a 200 point scale similar to the MBE (comparable to the the score you get for the essay portion of the UBE - the MEE I believe it is)? I have a 178.5 MBE score. If my math is right, that means (as I don't believe there is a minimum in Michigan for either section individually) that I would need a 91.5 on the MI bar essays to pass. If that score is scaled then I will feel a lot better about having to retake, as I assume a 91.5 is a very low overall percentile. Thanks in advance for any help!

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:27 pm

Yes, if you can replicate the 178 on the MBE, the Bar is impossible to fail. You can dig it up in this or one of the Joe Seperac threads, but I believe the lowest MEE score Joe has seen is in the mid-90s.

Realabu

New

Post by Realabu » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:35 pm

Lancair wrote:Yes, if you can replicate the 178 on the MBE, the Bar is impossible to fail. You can dig it up in this or one of the Joe Seperac threads, but I believe the lowest MEE score Joe has seen is in the mid-90s.
Thanks so much, appreciate the response! This makes me feel so much better about the whole thing. Really hoping there's no issues with transferring it if I decide to go down that road.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”