BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
usuaggie

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby usuaggie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:20 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:I am hoping somebody can help clear me up with this concept:

For MPQ2 Mixed subjects set 3, Questions 38-39 when they use the term "traditional contributory negligence jurisdiction"- what the hell does that mean?

Contributory negligence bars recovery, but you have to pay attention to the last person who could have avoided the accident.

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:43 pm

usuaggie wrote:
RodneyBoonfield wrote:I am hoping somebody can help clear me up with this concept:

For MPQ2 Mixed subjects set 3, Questions 38-39 when they use the term "traditional contributory negligence jurisdiction"- what the hell does that mean?

Contributory negligence bars recovery, but you have to pay attention to the last person who could have avoided the accident.

Isn't the last clear chance rule more of a "modern" contributory negligence theory? It was my understanding that under the traditional contributory negligence theory, only way that a negligent plaintiff can recover is if the defendant's conduct was willful or wanton. Is that right or am I mistaken?

ninereal

Postby ninereal » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:46 pm

usuaggie wrote:

I just did that set. In that context, traditional = contributory negligence rules don't apply to strict liability manufacturing/design defect actions.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:29 pm

I seriously don't know property, and its making me very nervous. I'm not a great essay writer, so I'm counting on a solid MBE score, yet property is dragging me down bigtime. I can never even hit 50% of the property questions right, regardless of difficulty. I watched the simulated MBE review on property, reviewed outline, keep doing practice Q's (and getting them wrong), etc. No clue what to do at this point. If there is an essay with property being the main topic, I'm absolutely screwed. Anyone care to share how they learned this garbage?

I'm fine on every other MBE subject, and if it wasn't for this, I would be feeling much better about the bar exam as a whole. its not that I'm just weak in property. Its that I am systematically getting a large majority of property Q's wrong. On simulated MBE, I got 14/33 on property, and it wouldn't be much better if I took it again now.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:53 pm

ninereal wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

I just did that set. In that context, traditional = contributory negligence rules don't apply to strict liability manufacturing/design defect actions.
General rule: In a traditional contributory negligence jurisdiction, any negligence by the victim is a complete bar to recovery.

Exceptions:
1. If the tortfeasor had the "last clear chance" to avoid the accident
2. Product defect cases
3. Child victims

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:09 pm

OK, what is the deal with MPQ2 set 8 and 9?

they weren't assigned in the PACE program, but I just did set 8 and it was pretty tough. not as hard as the full-day/half-day/SFE but definitely harder than sets 1-7. was scoring 75-85% on sets 1-7 and hit 62% on set 8. the book says goal is 68% but they supposedly base their goals on the "Average" score entered into PACE, and since set 8 is never assigned they have no way of knowing what people actually score... so it just seems like an arbitrary goal

at this point i dont understand what difficulty the actual MBE will be and wish barbri could clearly flag flame sets designed to scare us and real ones. I know the SFE/Fullday and halfday at the beginnign of MPQ2 are just ultra-hard questions, but MPQ2 set 8 (and I imagine set 9, will know tomorrow) are somewhere in between.

anybody have a similar experience/insight?

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:27 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:For NY takers, how important is the PR stuff? I haven't really looked at it and just don't see a question coming where it could be a significant portion of the grade. Am i just totally wrong to not worry about it?

Consensus seems to be it's an "add on" to a substantive question (i.e., 2-3 points). I don't think you should worry about it, but I'd remember the 3-4 big rules and you should be fine. I feel like they're not going to test on obscure points.

I'm planning on making sure I know the general rule for conflicts, contingent fees, the important grounds for withdrawal, and the important exceptions to the duty of confidentiality (even though the last two are pretty common sense). Hoping that will be more than enough.

cabartaker13

Postby cabartaker13 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Wow. MPQ2 Half Day is BRUTAL. Someone please tell me that BarBri makes that test way more difficult that the real MBE

I did MUCH better on MPQ2 Sets 1-9.....

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:36 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:For NY takers, how important is the PR stuff? I haven't really looked at it and just don't see a question coming where it could be a significant portion of the grade. Am i just totally wrong to not worry about it?

Consensus seems to be it's an "add on" to a substantive question (i.e., 2-3 points). I don't think you should worry about it, but I'd remember the 3-4 big rules and you should be fine. I feel like they're not going to test on obscure points.

I'm planning on making sure I know the general rule for conflicts, contingent fees, the important grounds for withdrawal, and the important exceptions to the duty of confidentiality (even though the last two are pretty common sense). Hoping that will be more than enough.

Agreed that it shouldn't require much time. I've been using this chart someone posted for guidance:

http://www.smartbarprep.com/SmartBarPre ... alysis.pdf

For something like PR, look how conflict of interests is tested very often, yet many other PR concepts have come up just 1 single time. Sure, it is possible that we will get a 1-off issue here and there. But for every 1-off issue where you concede the point, you can shore yourself up in an area that is bound to be on the exam. So for small subjects like federal juris., PR, or secured transactions, I wouldn't worry about the tiny concepts that have come up just one time, and likely won't come up again. Much better to just quickly drill the important rules. So for fed. juris, I made sure to study requirements for diversity juris., for PR, know conflict rules, for conflict of laws know the deciding approach for torts cases, etc.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:37 pm

cabartaker13 wrote:Wow. MPQ2 Half Day is BRUTAL. Someone please tell me that BarBri makes that test way more difficult that the real MBE

Not just you. I found it much more difficult (apparently a number of us did). Of course, it was bound to be harder than those mixed MPQ2 sets, many of which are too easy. But it was a bit harder than expected.

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Has anyone done the wills question 25 in the MEE book? The answer completely leaves out the disclaimed 3000 dollars that fell to the residuary (no descendants of the one who disclaimed so no anti-lapse application) when discussing the abatement issue. Is this a mistake or am I missing something here?

I said that Uncle would get 4000 and Cousin would get 8000. but according to the answer, it was 3000 to the uncle and 6000 to the cousin.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:10 pm

A part of me just wants to really drill all 5 of the MBE subjects I can manage, just review the black letter rules on property, and pray on test day that it isn't too bad. On any given property Q, I can waste a solid 2 min just staring, sketching, thinking, etc. and then still get it totally wrong. Whereas, for the other subjects, a bit of extra time often leads me to realize the nuances and tricks.

I almost wants to just skip the property Q's as I go along, saving them all for the end. That way, I can dedicate more time to the Q's I have a much better chance of getting right. I likely won't be pressed for time. On Barbri simulated MBE, had over 20 min left on each half. On real thing, with its shorter fact patterns, I'd expect I can finish even faster. Any opinions on saving my weakest subject for last? Bad approach?

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:22 pm

kaiser wrote:A part of me just wants to really drill all 5 of the MBE subjects I can manage, just review the black letter rules on property, and pray on test day that it isn't too bad. On any given property Q, I can waste a solid 2 min just staring, sketching, thinking, etc. and then still get it totally wrong. Whereas, for the other subjects, a bit of extra time often leads me to realize the nuances and tricks.

I almost wants to just skip the property Q's as I go along, saving them all for the end. That way, I can dedicate more time to the Q's I have a much better chance of getting right. I likely won't be pressed for time. On Barbri simulated MBE, had over 20 min left on each half. On real thing, with its shorter fact patterns, I'd expect I can finish even faster. Any opinions on saving my weakest subject for last? Bad approach?

That may work, of course you'd be running a HUGE risk with bubbling wrong. The lady on the SFE lectures suggested that if you hit a question that you don't know, bubble in a random answer, mark down the question number on a scrap piece of paper and go back to it at the end if you have time. That would probably be your safer bet if that is the route you choose to go. Hit a property question, bubble in A (and probably make sure you bubble in the same letter for every property Q just in case you can't get back to it...you're chances of getting a few of them right if you don't have time to get to them is greater than if you just randomly picked a bubble).

I ended up bubbling wrong the first time on my LSAT during the reading comprehension section. Didn't realize it until I had answered another 10-15 questions. Needless to say, I screwed up the first time i took the LSAT.
Last edited by blong4133 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Ballsogna

Postby Harry Ballsogna » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:24 pm

kaiser wrote:A part of me just wants to really drill all 5 of the MBE subjects I can manage, just review the black letter rules on property, and pray on test day that it isn't too bad. On any given property Q, I can waste a solid 2 min just staring, sketching, thinking, etc. and then still get it totally wrong. Whereas, for the other subjects, a bit of extra time often leads me to realize the nuances and tricks.

Personally, I wouldn't want to leave all of my hardest questions for when I'm the most fatigued.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:25 pm

Harry Ballsogna wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't want to leave all of my hardest questions for when I'm the most fatigued.

I get you, but the problem is, I don't get any more property Q's right when I'm at full energy.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:26 pm

blong4133 wrote:

That may work, of course you'd be running a HUGE risk with bubbling wrong. The lady on the SFE lectures suggested that if you hit a question that you don't know, bubble in a random answer, mark down the question number on a scrap piece of paper and go back to it at the end if you have time. That would probably be your safer bet if that is the route you choose to go. Hit a property question, bubble in A (and probably make sure you bubble in the same letter for every property Q just in case you can't get back to it...you're chances of getting a few of them right if you don't have time to get to them is greater than if you just randomly picked a bubble).

I ended up bubbling wrong the first time on my LSAT during the reading comprehension section. Didn't realize it until I had answered another 10-15 questions. Needless to say, I screwed up the first time i took the LSAT.

Whenever I do this, I use some kind of marker, like a circle around the Q number on the scantron, or a dash next to the Q to make it clear that I have it saved for later. Also, I bubble after each Q I complete, so its never long before I transpose, so I always see what Q number I am on.

irish017

Postby irish017 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:47 pm

cabartaker13 wrote:Wow. MPQ2 Half Day is BRUTAL. Someone please tell me that BarBri makes that test way more difficult that the real MBE

Me too broseph stalin. I got nuked off the face of the earth by the half day.

Did much better on the SFE. Onward we march......

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:51 am

kaiser wrote:
Harry Ballsogna wrote:

I get you, but the problem is, I don't get any more property Q's right when I'm at full energy.

Have you watched the simulated MBE midterm video with Gusman? Other than the ludicrous amount of reading for property questions the law is fairly manageable.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:55 am

Matteliszt wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Harry Ballsogna wrote:

Have you watched the simulated MBE midterm video with Gusman? Other than the ludicrous amount of reading for property questions the law is fairly manageable.

I watched it, and I liked how he broke it down into discrete rules, and clear ways to approach the Q's. It just doesn't seem to fall into place when I hit the real Q's though.

At this point in the game, would it be a waste/bad idea to dedicate pretty much an entire day to learning as much property as I can? Like, review my flashcards, do a bunch of practice Q's and read explanations carefully, do a few property essays, etc.? Or is that time better spent on finetuning the strong areas?

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:47 am

Misery loves company so I'm checking in. Just got posterized on Section 6 of Property in the MPQ1 book. 17/36. Some of those fact patterns... dear God. I finished evidence section 6 in 55 minutes today, property section 6 took me 1:25.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:50 am

joeshmo39 wrote:Misery loves company so I'm checking in. Just got posterized on Section 6 of Property in the MPQ1 book. 17/36. Some of those fact patterns... dear God. I finished evidence section 6 in 55 minutes today, property section 6 took me 1:25.

im thinking its a waste of time to do the set 6 questions - they are so much more difficult than the actual test. Thoughts?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:00 am

phonepro wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Misery loves company so I'm checking in. Just got posterized on Section 6 of Property in the MPQ1 book. 17/36. Some of those fact patterns... dear God. I finished evidence section 6 in 55 minutes today, property section 6 took me 1:25.

im thinking its a waste of time to do the set 6 questions - they are so much more difficult than the actual test. Thoughts?

i just pick the answer that makes no fucking sense, more times than not it ends up being right. of course it helps to KNOW that barbri is trying to mess with me.

Green Crayons

Postby Green Crayons » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:02 am

BeenDidThat wrote:Not a Virginia taker here, but maybe I can help. Check the wording on #2...if it's at trial stage, perhaps it's referencing the handwriting witnesses? No idea on 14.

As for the SoL issue...the claim has merit with respect to it being a cause of action for which the SoL can be waived and the suit will continue unhindered, but knowingly bringing a barred claim (and relying solely upon the potential negligence of opposing counsel to justify your bringing the claim) is pretty damn sketchy. I see what you're getting at: the client can recover if opposing counsel fails to assert the SoL. But filing a lawsuit that you know will be dismissed easily by a simple reply to your petition that includes the SoL is purty frivolous from the standpoint of you being an officer of the court who has a duty not to mislead the tribunal.
Thanks -- that makes sense.

rnf1292

Postby rnf1292 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:34 am

I like to do an easy MPQ2 set one day, then I'll do 25 Qs from the SFE the next. Switching it up keeps my confidence up and makes me feel like I'm still learning with the harder SFE questions.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:06 am

Amen to that. Property fact patterns blow. If you are finishing with plenty of time, I would at least try to answer the question as you go along so you don't mis-bubble. Also, SOME of them will be easy enough to answer right away so you may as well just get those done and only have to come back to the ridiculous ones.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”