BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goodolgil

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby goodolgil » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:55 am

Now that it's review mode, I am having trouble studying for more than 2 hour blocks. I feel like I know everything that I'm reviewing, but it's not really making my essay performance any better.

I don't think I'm gonna go all out this week like a lot of people do in the week before. I've been studying for like 2 months and I feel like it's reaching diminishing returns time.

Another

Postby Another » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:09 am

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:15 am

goodolgil wrote:Now that it's review mode, I am having trouble studying for more than 2 hour blocks. I feel like I know everything that I'm reviewing, but it's not really making my essay performance any better.

I don't think I'm gonna go all out this week like a lot of people do in the week before. I've been studying for like 2 months and I feel like it's reaching diminishing returns time.

Same. Friends are going at 14 hours a day. I just can't.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:05 am

goodolgil wrote:Now that it's review mode, I am having trouble studying for more than 2 hour blocks. I feel like I know everything that I'm reviewing, but it's not really making my essay performance any better.

Wow +10000. Glad to see other people feel this way too. I couldn't get hardly anything done yesterday. I have a constant feeling of guilt because while I theoretically COULD use every minute of the day memorizing my flashcards word for word, I'm not sure it's worth it or even possible.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:23 pm

On my very, very best days, I can get in around 8 hours of studying if I really, really try. But on most days, I think I'm doing 4-6 actual hours of work, if not less. I take tons of breaks. I'm also watching movies every night. I can't do the 12-hour push.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:12 pm

tfer2222 wrote:

Wow +10000. Glad to see other people feel this way too. I couldn't get hardly anything done yesterday. I have a constant feeling of guilt because while I theoretically COULD use every minute of the day memorizing my flashcards word for word, I'm not sure it's worth it or even possible.

Absolutely agree. I'm sitting here just casually reviewing outlines. You can't remember everything. Just need to know enough to pass or make up something mostly correct.

dudders

Postby dudders » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:21 pm

I'm half-heartedly making flashcards while watching Netflix. I kept up with the Paced Program, albeit only outlining/reading the essays, but this is about all I can accomplish at the this point.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:25 pm

dudders wrote:I'm half-heartedly making flashcards while watching Netflix. I kept up with the Paced Program, albeit only outlining/reading the essays, but this is about all I can accomplish at the this point.

I may make some flashcards for commercial paper/secured today. I'm basically writing commercial paper off as a loss come test day.

lightsandbuzz

Postby lightsandbuzz » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:32 pm

Agreed with all of the above. Not because I think I know everything, but because I am just so burnt out at this point that the mere thought of reading another essay question makes me want to strangle baby penguins.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:43 pm

lightsandbuzz wrote:Agreed with all of the above. Not because I think I know everything, but because I am just so burnt out at this point that the mere thought of reading another essay question makes me want to strangle baby penguins.

Stupid baby penguins. Always acting all arrogant.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:45 pm

BCLS wrote:
dudders wrote:I'm half-heartedly making flashcards while watching Netflix. I kept up with the Paced Program, albeit only outlining/reading the essays, but this is about all I can accomplish at the this point.

I may make some flashcards for commercial paper/secured today. I'm basically writing commercial paper off as a loss come test day.

I think its a relatively smart gamble though. You have to prioritize at a certain point, and might as well prioritize in the areas that are far more likely to be tested. A pure commercial paper essays is very rare, and highly unlikely to be on the exam. In all likelihood, it will be 2 or 3 NYMC on it, and thats it. Perhaps a subissue of an essay at the very most. Yet, if you know the buzzwords and read the finepoints for the crucial rules, you know enough to get a point or 2. But why waste lots of time learning it when you can tune up your knowledge in important areas? I'm slowly starting to realize this, and it sucks to concede anything, but I guess its finally dawning on me that certain areas I simply will not know come test day.

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:48 pm

I am appreciative of the general non-gunner tone this thread has lately taken. The general bar prep thread has long been afflicted with rampant gunning.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:53 pm

Stinson wrote:I am appreciative of the general non-gunner tone this thread has lately taken. The general bar prep thread has long been afflicted with rampant gunning.

Gunning will only burn you out at this point.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:54 pm

kaiser wrote:
BCLS wrote:

I think its a relatively smart gamble though. You have to prioritize at a certain point, and might as well prioritize in the areas that are far more likely to be tested. A pure commercial paper essays is very rare, and highly unlikely to be on the exam. In all likelihood, it will be 2 or 3 NYMC on it, and thats it. Perhaps a subissue of an essay at the very most. Yet, if you know the buzzwords and read the finepoints for the crucial rules, you know enough to get a point or 2. But why waste lots of time learning it when you can tune up your knowledge in important areas? I'm slowly starting to realize this, and it sucks to concede anything, but I guess its finally dawning on me that certain areas I simply will not know come test day.

That's what I'm doing as well. I'm also taking a gamble with Fed Jur, but I think I remember enough from Civ Pro to skate by in an essay.

rnf1292

Postby rnf1292 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:07 pm

Barbri once mentioned that all MBE notes (with blanks) are online in pdf form. Anyone know where to find these?

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:14 pm

If you click on the lecture and use the drop down to the right of the video, you can toggle to the PDF. There might be an easier way, though.

utswdukie80

Postby utswdukie80 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:27 pm

rnf1292 wrote:Barbri once mentioned that all MBE notes (with blanks) are online in pdf form. Anyone know where to find these?

If you start at the Enrolled Student Center, click on the "bar review lectures" link on the left. From that drop down click on Bar Review Lectures.That will take you to a page with all of the lectures. The handouts accompanying the lectures will be on the right.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:41 pm

Same, except I don't feel like I know everything I'm reviewing. I swear I've never seen some of this stuff before. At least the non mbe subjects.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:44 pm

Anyone also taking NJ in here? I haven't cracked the BarBri NJ materials a single time since I've been so busy with NY. NJ essays are all based around MBE subject matter (lucky bastards), with the sole distinctions being NJ procedural issues. Hoping that I can pass simply by knowing the multistate substantive material well enough to knock out a few more essays.

Kobe824

Postby Kobe824 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:01 pm

lightsandbuzz wrote:Agreed with all of the above. Not because I think I know everything, but because I am just so burnt out at this point that the mere thought of reading another essay question makes me want to strangle baby penguins.

Seriously, I am so tired of reading these damn essays. Every time I get worried, I think about Texas' 80+ percent pass rate and then I feel better.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:21 pm

for NY-ers who don't want to mess with the minor subjects that much, this frequency chart lists the actual issues within each subject that are most heavily tested. Pretty useful if you want to just memorize a couple of the rules that are actually tested out of secured/commercial/fedjur/PR/conflict, etc.

http://www.smartbarprep.com/SmartBarPre ... alysis.pdf

just scroll down to page 8 or so.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:22 pm

Just a heads up for other NY'ers: I've been going through a lot of the released essays from the past 5 years, and the notion of claim requirement for tort suits against a municipality has come up in 3 separate essays. I guess they like testing on claims against municipalities; might be something to watch out for.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:42 pm

tfer2222 wrote:for NY-ers who don't want to mess with the minor subjects that much, this frequency chart lists the actual issues within each subject that are most heavily tested. Pretty useful if you want to just memorize a couple of the rules that are actually tested out of secured/commercial/fedjur/PR/conflict, etc.

Dude, so useful. No way I'm going to memorize the finer points of secured transactions or fed jur. Thanks.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:44 pm

PitchO20 wrote:Just a heads up for other NY'ers: I've been going through a lot of the released essays from the past 5 years, and the notion of claim requirement for tort suits against a municipality has come up in 3 separate essays. I guess they like testing on claims against municipalities; might be something to watch out for.

yeah that seems to be a favorite. if you haven't already, check out that frequency list i posted above.

i have a feeling it provides the basics of what barbri is trying to sell us with that extra review thing. just telling us the "most frequently tested issues" and whatnot.

edit: woops you beat me to it.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:51 pm

tfer2222 wrote:for NY-ers who don't want to mess with the minor subjects that much, this frequency chart lists the actual issues within each subject that are most heavily tested. Pretty useful if you want to just memorize a couple of the rules that are actually tested out of secured/commercial/fedjur/PR/conflict, etc.

Hot damn, that is great info! Should really help me prioritize on the more minor subjects (and even within the meatier subjects like wills).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”