BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kaiser

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:43 pm

blong4133 wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Can someone explain #1 of MPQ2 Set #6 for me? I'm having trouble seeing why a contract is formed when they increased the price. My original thought was that the silence within 10 days of receiving the letter constituted acceptance and therefore November 15th was the date of contract--but obviously that's not even an option.

This question kind of ticked me off a little.

But I think you're confusing this issue with the merchant's confirmatory memo rule. That's when the merchants create an oral contract and later reduce it to a signed writing and send it to the other. Once it's sent the other has 10 days to object to it or it will be deemed accepted, regardless of whether he even read the letter. That's not the issue in this case, because there was no contract already formed before they started sending letters back and forth. The first letter was an offer from the shoe store to buy shoes, and there was an acceptance from the manufacturer in the second letter but stated a different price. I read this as a battle of the forms question, but apparently they were testing the mailbox rule. I don't think that was that great of a question.

Agreed that the Q sucked. They totally lead you in the direction of the UCC rule regarding non-mirror image acceptance, and then make it nothing more than a Q about the mailbox rule.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:54 pm

I've taken 50-100 ?s a day for a weekend got 80-95% right on each. I'm feeling pretty good, but trying not to lose focus or motivation for this last week.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:59 pm

usuaggie wrote:I've taken 50-100 ?s a day for a weekend got 80-95% right on each. I'm feeling pretty good, but trying not to lose focus or motivation for this last week.

Cool story, bro.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:16 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
usuaggie wrote:I've taken 50-100 ?s a day for a weekend got 80-95% right on each. I'm feeling pretty good, but trying not to lose focus or motivation for this last week.

Cool story, bro.

Yes, the MPQ2's definitely give you more confidence. At this point, I don't really think there's much more to do on MBE questions. Diminishing marginal returns are beginning to approach 0.

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Got a Corporations Question

From my understanding when you are electing a director, the shares that are entitled to vote are those which are outstanding and owned by the record holder on the record date.

But what about when you have a special meeting and are trying to figure out whether you have a quorum? Is there typically a record date for special meetings? Or is the record date considered to be the day before notice is sent? Just a little confused on this one. Or am I misunderstanding what "shares entitled to vote" are? Ah I hate corporations.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:58 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

Cool story, bro.

Thank you so much for the update usuaggie! I was actually wondering what you were scoring amidst the 17 subjects and 43,242 CA distinctions I need to memorize before next week. But now that I know you can score 95%, none of it matters!

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:16 pm

:lol: :lol:
I love the stress build up in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... EOcQ#t=74s

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:17 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

Cool story, bro.

Thank you so much for the update usuaggie! I was actually wondering what you were scoring amidst the 17 subjects and 43,242 CA distinctions I need to memorize before next week. But now that I know you can score 95%, none of it matters!

DwightSchrute, I don't know about you, but I'll be sleeping slightly more soundly tonight knowing that somewhere prepared test takers stand ready to visit violence on an exam that threatens us harm. What does he win, Bob?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:22 pm

If you get around 80% correct on the MBE, it's impossible to fail, regardless of how much you bomb the essays, right?

Right?

Plz be right

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:29 pm

blong4133 wrote:Got a Corporations Question

From my understanding when you are electing a director, the shares that are entitled to vote are those which are outstanding and owned by the record holder on the record date.

But what about when you have a special meeting and are trying to figure out whether you have a quorum? Is there typically a record date for special meetings? Or is the record date considered to be the day before notice is sent? Just a little confused on this one. Or am I misunderstanding what "shares entitled to vote" are? Ah I hate corporations.

i think that the DEFAULT record date is the day before notice date, but the corp is allowed to pick any record date in the "notice window" of 10 to 60 days (there is both a min and a max for notice).

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:38 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:If you get around 80% correct on the MBE, it's impossible to fail, regardless of how much you bomb the essays, right?

Right?

Plz be right

Depends on your state. I heard some of that was old wives tales and that you need to show some level of basic competency to pass. I don't think any essay grader is waiving anyone through based on a curved MBE score and vice versa. Performing better on one part gives you some leeway in having a bad day on the other, but it's not going to wipe it out.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:20 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

Cool story, bro.

Maybe go back to your mom's basement and read some more instead of spending time on message boards if you have so much to do.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:25 pm

englawyer wrote:

i think that the DEFAULT record date is the day before notice date, but the corp is allowed to pick any record date in the "notice window" of 10 to 60 days (there is both a min and a max for notice).

If you need to know that level of detail on a Corporations question (i.e., the appropriate window in which to pick a record date for a special shareholder meeting), then I am seriously screwed. My strategy is to have the essentials in every subject down pat, cobble together coherent answers, and not sweat the small stuff.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:27 pm

sundevil77 wrote:
englawyer wrote:

If you need to know that level of detail on a Corporations question (i.e., the appropriate window in which to pick a record date for a special shareholder meeting), then I am seriously screwed. My strategy is to have the essentials in every subject down pat, cobble together coherent answers, and not sweat the small stuff.

ha. same here.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:35 pm

usuaggie wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

Cool story, bro.

Maybe go back to your mom's basement and read some more instead of spending time on message boards if you have so much to do.

I will! Thanks for the advice bro!

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Lol, the fact that we've managed to keep it civil this long is impressive. Lets keep it on the high road, dudes.

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:
englawyer wrote:

ha. same here.

Haha, yeah I am too. I just get freaked by corporations because it's soo freaking boring to me. I can't sit down and memorize the stuff because I just don't care. Everything else I at least find somewhat interesting. Corps just doesn't do it for me. I just hope we don't get one on the test.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:06 pm

blong4133 wrote:Haha, yeah I am too. I just get freaked by corporations because it's soo freaking boring to me. I can't sit down and memorize the stuff because I just don't care. Everything else I at least find somewhat interesting. Corps just doesn't do it for me. I just hope we don't get one on the test.

Certain things, I just pray there is no essay on. Corps I just cannot get either. Too many small details, and nitpicky issues. I hate the subject in general, and that doesn't help. If we get a straight-up corps essay, I'm gonna shit myself.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:08 pm

kaiser wrote:Lol, the fact that we've managed to keep it civil this long is impressive. Lets keep it on the high road, dudes.

Mine was mostly tic. I'm currently writing from my in-laws' basement

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:32 pm

kaiser wrote:
blong4133 wrote:Haha, yeah I am too. I just get freaked by corporations because it's soo freaking boring to me. I can't sit down and memorize the stuff because I just don't care. Everything else I at least find somewhat interesting. Corps just doesn't do it for me. I just hope we don't get one on the test.

Certain things, I just pray there is no essay on. Corps I just cannot get either. Too many small details, and nitpicky issues. I hate the subject in general, and that doesn't help. If we get a straight-up corps essay, I'm gonna shit myself.

what about a joinder essay coupled with some impleader #ohyeah

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:36 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
kaiser wrote:

Toss in a few pieces of commercial paper to the mix, and I'd probably have a heart attack

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:36 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
kaiser wrote:

Going through CivPro right now. I'd just pack my things up and leave the test center if they gave that. or CA CivPro.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:40 pm

I mean, what better way to test "minimum competence" than impeader, mixed in with joinder, with some insanely narrow corps thrown in as the underlying substance.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:09 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
kaiser wrote:

Going through CivPro right now. I'd just pack my things up and leave the test center if they gave that. or CA CivPro.

that would quash my mood, i'd have to demur the rest of the day off

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:18 pm

Just opened up an old essay exam for my state. One family law question based entirely on contempt proceedings for failure to pay child support.

That's enough bar review for one day. :?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”