BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bgdddymtty

Silver

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:03 pm

cpajd wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:am i the only one who thinks barbri has gone full retard after lectures end? is anyone actually doing hours of amps *again*??? I intend to continue to practice MBEs/Essays and review answers/memorize stuff but wasting time on every amp all over again? i don't think this would *cause* failure, but it seems like not the most effective use of time. fully caught up on PACE, but thinking it's time to abandone barbri's suggestions
Its the wild frontier now. Whatever needs worked on is where I'm focused.
I agree with this, but I think OP is greatly overestimating the time it takes to do AMP refreshers. If you remember the subject at all, a single module (except for the few ~30-question ones) shouldn't take more than 10 minutes, tops.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Listening to this agency guy is making me dizzy

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Damn, what are people doing to memorize this boat load of information? Today I thought I'd start condensing all of the lecture handouts into flashcards that I could use to memorize stuff. After spending several hours on just one MBE topic, I think I'm wasting my time. I'm already scoring in the 85-90% range on the MPQ2's. Are you all just going to keep cycling through subjects, practicing questions/essays, then reviewing the lecture outlines accordingly? I feel like if I keep cycling through all the subjects, then I'll eventually learn the information. The key is to cycle through as fast as you can so that none of the information goes "stale," if you know what I mean.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:10 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Damn, what are people doing to memorize this boat load of information? Today I thought I'd start condensing all of the lecture handouts into flashcards that I could use to memorize stuff. After spending several hours on just one MBE topic, I think I'm wasting my time. I'm already scoring in the 85-90% range on the MPQ2's. Are you all just going to keep cycling through subjects, practicing questions/essays, then reviewing the lecture outlines accordingly? I feel like if I keep cycling through all the subjects, then I'll eventually learn the information. The key is to cycle through as fast as you can so that none of the information goes "stale," if you know what I mean.
That's my plan.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Stinson wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:Damn, what are people doing to memorize this boat load of information? Today I thought I'd start condensing all of the lecture handouts into flashcards that I could use to memorize stuff. After spending several hours on just one MBE topic, I think I'm wasting my time. I'm already scoring in the 85-90% range on the MPQ2's. Are you all just going to keep cycling through subjects, practicing questions/essays, then reviewing the lecture outlines accordingly? I feel like if I keep cycling through all the subjects, then I'll eventually learn the information. The key is to cycle through as fast as you can so that none of the information goes "stale," if you know what I mean.
That's my plan.
+1 -- work on endurance/stamina too.

rotate between 4-6 subjects every day. do at least 50 mbe Q's and 3-4 essays a day (OK to outline if you also outline the facts and analysis points). review answers. rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. there was even a lecturer on one of the review vids who recommended against the "stare at flashcards" approach to memorization.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:22 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
Stinson wrote:
That's my plan.

rotate between 4-6 subjects every day. do at least 50 mbe Q's and 3-4 essays a day (OK to outline if you also outline the facts and analysis points). review answers. rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. there was even a lecturer on one of the review vids who recommended against the "stare at flashcards" approach to memorization.
Sweet. I'll stick with that method then. It's going to be a painful couple of weeks.

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Only at 45%. Have only done a handful of practice essays.

On my third video of the day. I am OVER watching the videos, and want to just focus on studying. Got through Agency/Partnership and Secured Transactions/Commercial paper. On to federal jurisdiction, and later tonight if I can bare it, Domestic Relations. That gives me 14 days to just focus on studying/memorizing/practicing essays. Good idea right? RIGHT?

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:27 pm

phonepro wrote:Only at 45%. Have only done a handful of practice essays.

On my third video of the day. I am OVER watching the videos, and want to just focus on studying. Got through Agency/Partnership and Secured Transactions/Commercial paper. On to federal jurisdiction, and later tonight if I can bare it, Domestic Relations. That gives me 14 days to just focus on studying/memorizing/practicing essays. Good idea right? RIGHT?

I did the same thing, except skipped fed jur.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Trying for something similar. I want about 2 straight weeks to get better at essays, fill in the holes in my MBE knowledge, drill the distinctions, really internalize all the NY material, etc. Looking to have all lecture videos done by tomorrow. 4 in one day? You are a brave one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:48 pm

What's a good score to shoot for on the NYMC 1-50 and 51-100 practice sets? I can't seem to find a "goal" anywhere.

hrcycle

New

Post by hrcycle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:24 pm

sundevil77 wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
Stinson wrote:
That's my plan.

Sweet. I'll stick with that method then. It's going to be a painful couple of weeks.

So is this your plan per subject? i.e. for each of the 4-6 subjects you do 50 MBEs + essays? Or do you mean in the aggregate?

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:30 pm

no, i don't do 200-300 mbe q's and 24 essays a day...

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:33 pm

c3pO4 wrote:no, i don't do 200-300 mbe q's and 24 essays a day...
I hear that's what the paced program assigns for CA. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hrcycle

New

Post by hrcycle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Wouldn't be the most ridiculous thing I've seen people claim they do on TLS...

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:39 pm

hrcycle wrote:Wouldn't be the most ridiculous thing I've seen people claim they do on TLS...
to be fair, if you did this, i think you would not fail the bar

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Matteliszt wrote:

Why does it seem most people on here have skipped fed jur? I know its not super important, but its higher up than say secured transactions and commercial paper.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:44 pm

I didn't skip fed jur entirely but I didn't even know what a secured transaction or a piece of commercial paper was until this morning, whereas I at least remember civ pro and wound up dealing with it in 1L and 2L summers. I have trouble imagining a federal civil procedure question that's a total wipeout, because there are only so many things they could ask about and I could at least state all the rules, even if I didn't apply them perfectly. Wills, trusts, much of crim pro, there's a lot of first time stuff here for me to worry about instead.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:50 pm

phonepro wrote:
Matteliszt wrote:

Why does it seem most people on here have skipped fed jur? I know its not super important, but its higher up than say secured transactions and commercial paper.

Because I can't imagine the bar examiners asking a question on anything in Fed Jur with the exception of removal, which takes about 2 minutes to learn, and I could use the time doing pretty much anything else. I just can't imagine federal joinder or impleader is going to show up on the bar.

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:28 pm

Anyone think the Set 4 MPQ1 questions were hard and picky as hell? 9/18 and that was after I read the CMR. Sometimes I feel like the CMR just dumps too much knowledge and confuses the crap out of me for MBEs

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:44 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:Anyone think the Set 4 MPQ1 questions were hard and picky as hell? 9/18 and that was after I read the CMR. Sometimes I feel like the CMR just dumps too much knowledge and confuses the crap out of me for MBEs
Yeah, just bummed myself out getting 9/18 on Torts Set 4 after reading the Torts CMR yesterday.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:54 pm

Matteliszt wrote:
phonepro wrote:
Matteliszt wrote:

Because I can't imagine the bar examiners asking a question on anything in Fed Jur with the exception of removal, which takes about 2 minutes to learn, and I could use the time doing pretty much anything else. I just can't imagine federal joinder or impleader is going to show up on the bar.
I want a question about removal so bad, preferably paired with a nice, earthy class action.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:45 am

I just watched my final NY lecture, fed jur, at 2.46 speed. It was surprisingly comprehensible.

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:53 am

Anyone doing the additional NY Review course after the regular course? I hear mixed things about it. And another 8 hours of lecture cuts into serious study time.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:03 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
DwightSchruteFarms wrote:Anyone think the Set 4 MPQ1 questions were hard and picky as hell? 9/18 and that was after I read the CMR. Sometimes I feel like the CMR just dumps too much knowledge and confuses the crap out of me for MBEs
Yeah, just bummed myself out getting 9/18 on Torts Set 4 after reading the Torts CMR yesterday.
did set 4 today. i think the better you know the law, the harder these mpq1 sets become. barbri's answer choices are so ridiculous that the "correct" answer doesn't exist so you have to force yourself to pick something you know is wrong. i guess it's good training but seems like just more flame. after 10 weeks they are just running out of ways to make this exam seem hard.

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:10 am

c3pO4 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
did set 4 today. i think the better you know the law, the harder these mpq1 sets become. barbri's answer choices are so ridiculous that the "correct" answer doesn't exist so you have to force yourself to pick something you know is wrong. i guess it's good training but seems like just more flame. after 10 weeks they are just running out of ways to make this exam seem hard.
I find it easy to figure out what rule to apply. I find it next to impossible to pick "the better answer choice."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”