BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
ace_of_spades
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby ace_of_spades » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:24 pm

Anyone else find that issue spotting non-mbe subject essays is quite difficult? I've been going over some of the more recent essays and I swear I have not seen a decent amount of these issues before. Maybe I need to crack open the CMR and add more goodies to my lecture notes. Sigh...

blong4133
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby blong4133 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:35 pm

ace_of_spades wrote:Anyone else find that issue spotting non-mbe subject essays is quite difficult? I've been going over some of the more recent essays and I swear I have not seen a decent amount of these issues before. Maybe I need to crack open the CMR and add more goodies to my lecture notes. Sigh...


I think it's an issue of familiarity. We've been working on the MBE subjects for nearly 2 months now. We've done hundreds of questions and have picked up several nuances within each subject by doing those questions. If your schedule is like mine, we basically got all of the non-mbe subjects thrown at us with little time to actually read and review and familiarize ourselves with it. It sucks, and it's freaking me out, but I figure that I'm in the same boat as most people in regards to the non-mbe essay stuff. All you've got to do is write a passing answer. You don't have to be perfect. I have to keep telling myself that or I go into meltdown mode. (and I don't really know what a passing answer looks like).

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby 5ky » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:51 pm

I took my first MPQ2 Mixed Set. Man, it was weird.

e: also, are these not online on studysmart? I always like to enter them in and see the breakdown. I can't find them.

User avatar
Matteliszt
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby Matteliszt » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:16 am

5ky wrote:I took my first MPQ2 Mixed Set. Man, it was weird.

e: also, are these not online on studysmart? I always like to enter them in and see the breakdown. I can't find them.



You can get them if you switch to self study mode instead of by MPQ set, but they wont be in the set, It will be random Qs

you can also do them by specific subtopic (i e homicide crimes, crim pro, other crimes for Criminal Law). I find that very helpful

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby 5ky » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:19 am

Matteliszt wrote:
5ky wrote:I took my first MPQ2 Mixed Set. Man, it was weird.

e: also, are these not online on studysmart? I always like to enter them in and see the breakdown. I can't find them.



You can get them if you switch to self study mode instead of by MPQ set, but they wont be in the set, It will be random Qs

you can also do them by specific subtopic (i e homicide crimes, crim pro, other crimes for Criminal Law). I find that very helpful


that's weird, because NY assigns them, at least MPQ2 Set 2, to be done "online in study smart." i never do them online, though i do enter them later, so i figured it would be there somewhere

remz
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:56 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby remz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:23 am

I'm behind on NY Multiple Choice, what areas of law do most of the multiple choice questions come from?

rnf1292
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby rnf1292 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:12 am

Contracts SOF question: to satisfy a writing, a real estate transfer needs description + price and a sale of goods requires the quantity. What about a services contract for 1+ years? Does this need a price in order to satisfy SOF?

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:45 am

rnf1292 wrote:Contracts SOF question: to satisfy a writing, a real estate transfer needs description + price and a sale of goods requires the quantity. What about a services contract for 1+ years? Does this need a price in order to satisfy SOF?
I'm pretty sure it does. Price can be gap-filled (i.e. is not an essential term) under Article 2, but not under the common law.

cpajd
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:40 am

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby cpajd » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:27 pm

blong4133 wrote:
ace_of_spades wrote:Anyone else find that issue spotting non-mbe subject essays is quite difficult? I've been going over some of the more recent essays and I swear I have not seen a decent amount of these issues before. Maybe I need to crack open the CMR and add more goodies to my lecture notes. Sigh...


I think it's an issue of familiarity. We've been working on the MBE subjects for nearly 2 months now. We've done hundreds of questions and have picked up several nuances within each subject by doing those questions. If your schedule is like mine, we basically got all of the non-mbe subjects thrown at us with little time to actually read and review and familiarize ourselves with it. It sucks, and it's freaking me out, but I figure that I'm in the same boat as most people in regards to the non-mbe essay stuff. All you've got to do is write a passing answer. You don't have to be perfect. I have to keep telling myself that or I go into meltdown mode. (and I don't really know what a passing answer looks like).


Unfortunately, I DID have a meltdown last night. However, I got some comfort from my wife and the encouragement got me up early this morning with a renewed sense of determination. I have no idea if I'm going to pass. My MBE tests have been going fairly well, but I feel like I have nothing saved in my head for a number of the essay subjects. I'm going to put in 13 or 14 hours a day for the next two weeks if I can hang on and not fall apart. What else can I do, ya know?

Stinson
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 am

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby Stinson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:49 pm

ace_of_spades wrote:Anyone else find that issue spotting non-mbe subject essays is quite difficult? I've been going over some of the more recent essays and I swear I have not seen a decent amount of these issues before. Maybe I need to crack open the CMR and add more goodies to my lecture notes. Sigh...


Are you doing just the essays assigned in the paced program, or doing other ones one your own? The ones assigned do contain some issues the lectures don't seem to cover - I note them in my outline when they come up but I don't get too worked up because the lecture apparently covers the stuff most likely to be hit. I did try a couple that were not assigned, though, and they were completely off the wall and obscure, way out of left field stuff. So, not doing that again.

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby get it to x » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Meltdown commencing, just did Crim Set 5 couldn't even muster half correct and it's my best subject.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:54 pm

get it to x wrote:Meltdown commencing, just did Crim Set 5 couldn't even muster half correct and it's my best subject.


Seriously, don't worry about Set 5's. 15% or less of the test will be like that. The key to MBE is to kill the easy Q's, and not get tripped up by the totally doable ones. If you actually get around 50% of those hardest ones right, you are in a great position. Its an odd way of thinking about it, but its totally true.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:06 pm

kaiser wrote:
get it to x wrote:Meltdown commencing, just did Crim Set 5 couldn't even muster half correct and it's my best subject.


Seriously, don't worry about Set 5's. 15% or less of the test will be like that. The key to MBE is to kill the easy Q's, and not get tripped up by the totally doable ones. If you actually get around 50% of those hardest ones right, you are in a great position. Its an odd way of thinking about it, but its totally true.


sets 5/6 and the half-day and the sim final should not be viewed as a goalpost test to see how you are doing. they should be viewed as a learning exercise. try your best to remember as many of the tricks/exceptions to the exceptions possible. this actually makes it easier to remember the fundamentals. it says a lot about the supposed difficulty of this test that sets 5/6 is the only way barbri can figure out to scare people into studying harder.

User avatar
sundevil77
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby sundevil77 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:09 pm

So it took a little adjustment getting used to the MPQ2 Mixed Q's because they are so straightforward. They also test concepts slightly differently than the MPQ1's. How close are these Q's to the real thing? Trying to gauge where I am at this point. Thanks.

blong4133
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby blong4133 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:16 pm

Stinson wrote:
ace_of_spades wrote:Anyone else find that issue spotting non-mbe subject essays is quite difficult? I've been going over some of the more recent essays and I swear I have not seen a decent amount of these issues before. Maybe I need to crack open the CMR and add more goodies to my lecture notes. Sigh...


Are you doing just the essays assigned in the paced program, or doing other ones one your own? The ones assigned do contain some issues the lectures don't seem to cover - I note them in my outline when they come up but I don't get too worked up because the lecture apparently covers the stuff most likely to be hit. I did try a couple that were not assigned, though, and they were completely off the wall and obscure, way out of left field stuff. So, not doing that again.


If yout have the essay advantage book, take a look at that. They have breakdowns of all the issues that have been tested on the MEE in the past and give you the rules for all of those issues. Pretty handy as a final tune up for the non-MBE stuff. I plan on memorizing the lecture handout, then making sure I'm familiar with, and have all the rules in that book committed to memory.

Stinson
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 am

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby Stinson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:28 pm

sundevil77 wrote:So it took a little adjustment getting used to the MPQ2 Mixed Q's because they are so straightforward. They also test concepts slightly differently than the MPQ1's. How close are these Q's to the real thing? Trying to gauge where I am at this point. Thanks.


I assumed they were fairly representative of most of the questions, because the goals for the sets are around/slightly below where Barbri is essentially telling you to aim - something like 75-80% on the real thing. Because they are assigned at the end while review is going on and/or has already taken place, I think they are supposed to be around where you want to hit on the real thing. They also seem similar, in terms of straight-forwardness, to the released MBE questions. (Which are old, but still.)

Because the other stuff - SFE, for example - has a goal substantially below where you need to hit to be in good shape on test day, I take it those questions are representative only of the harder questions one is likely to see on the MBE, if at all.

User avatar
MBZags
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby MBZags » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:36 pm

For NYMC, Barbri is trying to dick us around with these practice questions, right?

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby tfer2222 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:41 pm

MBZags wrote:For NYMC, Barbri is trying to dick us around with these practice questions, right?


i think they're trying to get us used to getting most of them wrong.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:42 pm

For NY folks in Albany, when do we find out which specific location in Albany we have?

User avatar
camstant
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:59 am

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby camstant » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:06 pm

kaiser wrote:For NY folks in Albany, when do we find out which specific location in Albany we have?


Not sure, but I haven't gotten any information about mine yet either.

User avatar
camstant
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:59 am

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby camstant » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:06 pm

NYT #81 - worst model answer yet?

hds2388
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby hds2388 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:09 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
MBZags wrote:For NYMC, Barbri is trying to dick us around with these practice questions, right?


i think they're trying to get us used to getting most of them wrong.



What is the suggested number we need to get correct on test day? Because my total of 4 correct responses out of 9 on the property/agency set is making me feel not so hot (with 2 correct guesses in there).

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:36 pm

am i the only one who thinks barbri has gone full retard after lectures end? is anyone actually doing hours of amps *again*??? I intend to continue to practice MBEs/Essays and review answers/memorize stuff but wasting time on every amp all over again? i don't think this would *cause* failure, but it seems like not the most effective use of time. fully caught up on PACE, but thinking it's time to abandone barbri's suggestions

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby tfer2222 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:36 pm

hds2388 wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:
MBZags wrote:For NYMC, Barbri is trying to dick us around with these practice questions, right?


i think they're trying to get us used to getting most of them wrong.



What is the suggested number we need to get correct on test day? Because my total of 4 correct responses out of 9 on the property/agency set is making me feel not so hot (with 2 correct guesses in there).


i think i remember hearing that average passing candidate gets about 28/50 right. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

cpajd
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:40 am

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby cpajd » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:41 pm

c3pO4 wrote:am i the only one who thinks barbri has gone full retard after lectures end? is anyone actually doing hours of amps *again*??? I intend to continue to practice MBEs/Essays and review answers/memorize stuff but wasting time on every amp all over again? i don't think this would *cause* failure, but it seems like not the most effective use of time. fully caught up on PACE, but thinking it's time to abandone barbri's suggestions


Its the wild frontier now. Whatever needs worked on is where I'm focused.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cocotruffles, sblock60, Stubbazubba, wg6524 and 7 guests