BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
5ky

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby 5ky » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:47 pm

you're reading way too much into this, she's just using that as an example to frame the question.

neighbors could be in succession of estate, but the question would have to specifically state it. horizontal privity is hard to meet

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:16 pm

lawyer921 wrote:Not sure if I'm losing my mind at this point but I have a question about NYMC Mortgage Questions in the NYT Book.

Why does it says in all of the questions that someone is "giving" a mortgage? It says it question one that Al gave a 25K mortgage on Blackacre to B Bank, what on earth does that mean, from what I understood Banks issue mortgages, is anybody else confused about how these questions are phrased or am I just losing my head at this point.

Thank you.
The mortgage is literally the encumbrance on the property. What we refer to in normal parlance as a "mortgage" is actually a loan secured by a mortgage: they give you the loan, and in exchange you give them a security interest in the property.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:02 pm

New York - I missed the example of gifts and stock splits, are they just treated as specific gifts? Do you get a 1:1 ratio or 2:1?

camstant

Postby camstant » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Matteliszt wrote:New York - I missed the example of gifts and stock splits, are they just treated as specific gifts? Do you get a 1:1 ratio or 2:1?

I think they are treated as specific gifts only with regard to the stock split. so if you're given 100 shares of stock X in the will, then it splits 2:1, you get all 200 of the shares that are in the estate. but if the stock was sold prior to probate of the will, it's treated as a "general" gift, and you only get the value of 100 shares of stock X, regardless of the split.

camstant

Postby camstant » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:19 pm

5ky wrote:I am legitimately starting to become worried about not having memorized any of the NY subjects yet, including ny crim. Is it even possible to maintain MBE while decently memorizing the 6 big ones? (ny practice, wills, trusts, corporations, domestic relations, PR) over the next 14 days? that's just ignoring all of the rest of the subjects

I have the same concerns. I just started working on memorizing practice and corps this weekend (brutal). My thoughts: devote the most time on NY subjects to practice, crim, and wills; substantial time for MBE subjects (+ NY rules); study the rest without trying to memorize firmly. I just don't know how to get it all in my head otherwise. It sounds like if you perform above average on MBE, you don't really need to do all that well on the rest of the exam...let's hope.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:22 pm

camstant wrote:
Matteliszt wrote:New York - I missed the example of gifts and stock splits, are they just treated as specific gifts? Do you get a 1:1 ratio or 2:1?

I think they are treated as specific gifts only with regard to the stock split. so if you're given 100 shares of stock X in the will, then it splits 2:1, you get all 200 of the shares that are in the estate. but if the stock was sold prior to probate of the will, it's treated as a "general" gift, and you only get the value of 100 shares of stock X, regardless of the split.

Thanks!

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:34 pm

5ky wrote:I am legitimately starting to become worried about not having memorized any of the NY subjects yet, including ny crim. Is it even possible to maintain MBE while decently memorizing the 6 big ones? (ny practice, wills, trusts, corporations, domestic relations, PR) over the next 14 days? that's just ignoring all of the rest of the subjects

I'm in the same boat, focused way more on the MBE through now and am just now freaking out about, you know, the other 60 percent of the test ...plus I'd like to push my MBE score up by another 10-15 questions. The BarBri president said we should focus on strengthening our strong points rather than spreading ourselves too thin , but it is scary to imagine not knowing a single answer to a commercial paper essay or something.

I'm planning to review the handouts of the big five or so topics that you mentioned a few times and review the handouts of the lesser tested topics once and spend the rest of my time, maybe half overall, on the MBE. The MBE feels manageable to me since it is a bounded universe of six topics. When I do questions, I feel like l am making progress. Plus I can see my progress. In contrast, the NY topics feel endless & unmanageable.

BTW, what are you guys doing for the MPT? I was thinking of basically just memorizing that the letter to senior atty requires a salutation, then an intro, then a statement of the issue, etc for each type of document and leaving it at that. It seems like the most important things are following the directions perfectly & organizing it exactly how their model answer does.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:03 pm

i'm a little less worried about things now that i've finished up the lectures. domestic relations, although a 4 hour lecture, doesn't have much material (i ended up with a brief but comprehensive 10 page outline) and seems really easy to memorize.

it's really just NY practice, wills, corporations, and trusts to a certain extent that will be difficult to pull together. PR and domestic relations should not be too bad.

also, the domestic relations lecturer said that NY practice, crim pro, and domestic relations would make up about half of the NY MC, which seems good. not many ny distinctions in crim pro at all, and NY practice/domestic relations are both major topics to study for essays

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:06 pm

5ky wrote:i'm a little less worried about things now that i've finished up the lectures. domestic relations, although a 4 hour lecture, doesn't have much material (i ended up with a brief but comprehensive 10 page outline) and seems really easy to memorize.

it's really just NY practice, wills, corporations, and trusts to a certain extent that will be difficult to pull together. PR and domestic relations should not be too bad.

also, the domestic relations lecturer said that NY practice, crim pro, and domestic relations would make up about half of the NY MC, which seems good. not many ny distinctions in crim pro at all, and NY practice/domestic relations are both major topics to study for essays

I wonder why crim pro would make up such a big portion of the NYMC given how few distinctions there are. I guess things like how big a jury NY uses, no good-faith warrant reliance, etc. but not too many distinctions come to mind.

Must feel good to be done with the lectures. I may try and double up the next 2 days so I can also move onto pure review/essay practice mode of the NY stuff.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:21 pm

5ky wrote:i'm a little less worried about things now that i've finished up the lectures. domestic relations, although a 4 hour lecture, doesn't have much material (i ended up with a brief but comprehensive 10 page outline) and seems really easy to memorize.

ah did you charge ahead and finish all of the lectures? how was secured/fed jur/agency/partnership?

i have wills/trusts pretty much down (mostly because i took that in law school and the laws aren't too different) and NY practice basically down. the flashcards i made in june are finally becoming extremely useful.

if anybody needs some flashcards http://quizlet.com/subject/ny-bar-exam/ there are a ton of them here from past users. i don't like them as much as actual physical flashcards but they're still not too bad for quick refreshers.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:26 pm

i checked the CMR, and apparently there are 15 pages of crim pro distinctions. wtf we didn't cover any of those. maybe i'll read it over once, but fuck it, i'm bailing on that

and yeah, i'm done with lectures, but like i said, i don't have any of the NY subjects memorized. i dunno how you have wills/trusts/ny practice down, that's crazy and i hate you. i was reviewing ny practice some while i did fed jur this morning, since it's all NY practice shit.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:32 pm

5ky wrote:i checked the CMR, and apparently there are 15 pages of crim pro distinctions. wtf we didn't cover any of those. maybe i'll read it over once, but fuck it, i'm bailing on that

and yeah, i'm done with lectures, but like i said, i don't have any of the NY subjects memorized. i dunno how you have wills/trusts/ny practice down, that's crazy and i hate you. i was reviewing ny practice some while i did fed jur this morning, since it's all NY practice shit.

15 pages of NY crim pro distinctions? Yeah, screw that. For the distinctions, I really only worry about the starred ones anyway.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:42 pm

yeah i have them memorized mostly because when i hand-make flashcards and then go through them a couple times i usually have it down. thats what i did throughout most of law school, just always seems to work for me.

i am, however, starting to stress out because there are 2 weeks left and so many things i feel like i should be doing at once. I've barely touched MBE in the last week and that freaks me out. but i feel like i need to be memorizing for essays.

then i hear about people doing 50 MBEs a day or some shit like that which makes me feel bad for not doing them, but i literally have no brain power left after a day of cramming other shit into my head.

and 4 more lectures this week. seriously? ughh.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:49 pm

yeah, part of my thing is that i have spent all of my supplemental study time on MBE stuff, and while i have let that lapse the last week or so, i try to at least do a handful of questions every day

my plan is to hit 2 NY and 2 MBE topics from every day out, obviously using the MBE as just refreshers and such. if i go too long without it, i lose a TON of my understanding of how to answer questions

ace_of_spades

Postby ace_of_spades » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Anyone else take the MPQ2 Half Day exam? If so, what are your impressions?

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:52 pm

ace_of_spades wrote:Anyone else take the MPQ2 Half Day exam? If so, what are your impressions?

I took the half-day last week (it was assigned for us then). I didn't do all that well, 59% (goal was 60). Def tougher than the other sets

ace_of_spades

Postby ace_of_spades » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:56 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
ace_of_spades wrote:Anyone else take the MPQ2 Half Day exam? If so, what are your impressions?

I took the half-day last week (it was assigned for us then). I didn't do all that well, 59% (goal was 60). Def tougher than the other sets

Thanks for sharing. I guess I won't panic.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:03 pm

How did you do?

dudders

Postby dudders » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:33 pm

I spent all day reviewing contracts.

And according to MBE questions, I am getting dumber at contracts.

FML.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:48 pm

For Full Faith and Credit, is a judgment dismissed due to the statute of limitations "on the merits?" I have conflicting notes in Con Law and Conflicts, and I think Guzman said during the MBE videos it wasn't on the merits.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:53 pm

MBZags wrote:For Full Faith and Credit, is a judgment dismissed due to the statute of limitations "on the merits?" I have conflicting notes in Con Law and Conflicts, and I think Guzman said during the MBE videos it wasn't on the merits.

I really don't think that would be on the merits

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Sky, do you think the fed jur video is worth watching? Of all the released Barbri essays, we have 3 that have fed jur components and 2/3 are on removal (the third one is on the long arm statute, which should qualify as NYP I don't know why its labeled fed jur). Seems pretty unlikely they test federal law besides how to remove to federal court, no?

bailey123456789

Postby bailey123456789 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:13 pm

I have a broad question. I've been having trouble with con law essays, because whenever I see what I think is an infringement on a fundamental right, I want to raise every theory possible. For a 1st amendment essay I just went over, in my issue spotting I noted 1st amendment, equal protection (there was a classification) based on the infringement of a fundamental right, substantive due process, and procedural due process because I was thinking the right got taken away without any sort of procedure. But the barbri answer just talks about 1st amendment and equal protection. In other essays, they will talk about equal protection and SDP, etc.

My question is that I don't know how to tell when I'm supposed to bring up all of these theories and how to pick and choose, but also how to know when I actually am supposed to raise all/most of them. Any advice would be much much appreciated

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:32 pm

Anybody been completely confused by grades/comments on submitted on essays?

dudders

Postby dudders » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:46 pm

MBZags wrote:For Full Faith and Credit, is a judgment dismissed due to the statute of limitations "on the merits?" I have conflicting notes in Con Law and Conflicts, and I think Guzman said during the MBE videos it wasn't on the merits.

No; not on the merits. If you have a statute of limitations dismissal, you can try again anywhere with jurisdiction where SoL hasn't expired.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”