BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
5ky

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Matteliszt wrote:
5ky wrote:There's no way you need at least a 50% average on the writings if you're in the 60-70th percentile range for the MBE. Barbri said to shoot for 68% correct on MBE (50th percentile) and 5s on all the essays (which we are assuming would put you at the 50th percentile).

What is it, roughly 75% or so of first time takers that pass? That means even if you're under the median for both, you'd still have some room to play with and still pass.

I mean't 60-70% correct on the MBE. 68% on the MBE I think would be GREAT, and I completely agree with you. Also to the guy who was nervous who 138'ed the practice MBE, you're already WAAAY ahead of where you need to be. You're going to be fine. Your MBE puts you in the top 15% of people enrolled in Barbri from that little chart that's floating around from last year.

Haha whew, I saw that and my blood turned cold. I didn't think there could be any way that was true

KeepitKind

Postby KeepitKind » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:44 pm

rnf1292 wrote:Has anyone done the MPQ2 half day exam (first thing in the book)?

I thought it was extremely tricky and am not happy with my score. As if I wasn't already freaking out enough :shock: I thought I had heard others on here saying the MPQ2 was supposed to be easier..

the MPQ2 sets 1-4 (all i've done so far) are rather straightforward. but i thought the half day exam was very difficult (glad to see you agree), especially the first 25 q's or so. Also, the book seems to imply that the last sets in MPQ2 are more difficult, and that the Final Exam tests common tricks on the MBE - so prob hard but worthwhile.

dudders

Postby dudders » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:50 pm

remz wrote:
dudders wrote:I'm about to start making flashcards. Any idea whether the lecture outlines or the CMR are better for this? (I literally haven't touched CMR.)

I assume writing out the flashcards is helpful for you. But if you're strapped for time and have a cellphone download the Quizlet app. Once you do that you can go on Quizlet.com and download hundreds of MBE, Barbri, Kaplan, Themsis, etc. flashcards right to your phone.

Yeah, for me the value is in actually sitting down and writing out the flashcards to begin with. We all have our methods.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:02 pm

5ky wrote:
Matteliszt wrote:
5ky wrote:There's no way you need at least a 50% average on the writings if you're in the 60-70th percentile range for the MBE. Barbri said to shoot for 68% correct on MBE (50th percentile) and 5s on all the essays (which we are assuming would put you at the 50th percentile).

What is it, roughly 75% or so of first time takers that pass? That means even if you're under the median for both, you'd still have some room to play with and still pass.

I mean't 60-70% correct on the MBE. 68% on the MBE I think would be GREAT, and I completely agree with you. Also to the guy who was nervous who 138'ed the practice MBE, you're already WAAAY ahead of where you need to be. You're going to be fine. Your MBE puts you in the top 15% of people enrolled in Barbri from that little chart that's floating around from last year.

Haha whew, I saw that and my blood turned cold. I didn't think there could be any way that was true

lol sorry, nah 68% = 136 raw = between a 143-146 scaled. Also according to Seperac puts you in the top 1/3 of all takers

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:04 pm

I just dont understand how if you get 130+ right on MBE you still need to get 5s across the board on the essays and 30/50 on MC to pass (NY) - yet 75% of students pass....

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:06 pm

phonepro wrote:I just dont understand how if you get 130+ right on MBE you still need to get 5s across the board on the essays and 30/50 on MC to pass (NY) - yet 75% of students pass....

you dont

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:20 pm

phonepro wrote:I just dont understand how if you get 130+ right on MBE you still need to get 5s across the board on the essays and 30/50 on MC to pass (NY) - yet 75% of students pass....

lol i was confused by this in the beginning of barbri too.

like if you get 130 raw MBE, 5's on everything else except for ONE FOUR on an essay = fail.

barbri fear mongering

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:29 pm

tfer2222 wrote:

lol i was confused by this in the beginning of barbri too.

like if you get 130 raw MBE, 5's on everything else except for ONE FOUR on an essay = fail.

barbri fear mongering

WELL CAN THEY STOP!? lmao. B/c they are giving me massive anxiety.

dudders

Postby dudders » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:39 pm

What scale does NY grade essays on? This is giving me anxiety because CO grades on a 1-6 scale ...

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:50 pm

dudders wrote:What scale does NY grade essays on? This is giving me anxiety because CO grades on a 1-6 scale ...

1 - 10, and Barbri says to aim for a "4.5 so they round up to a 5"

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:53 pm

We're all gonna fail ... until we all pass.

Friends don't let friends get freaked out by BarBri.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:34 pm

KeepitKind wrote:

I thought it was extremely tricky and am not happy with my score. As if I wasn't already freaking out enough :shock: I thought I had heard others on here saying the MPQ2 was supposed to be easier..

the MPQ2 sets 1-4 (all i've done so far) are rather straightforward. but i thought the half day exam was very difficult (glad to see you agree), especially the first 25 q's or so. Also, the book seems to imply that the last sets in MPQ2 are more difficult, and that the Final Exam tests common tricks on the MBE - so prob hard but worthwhile.

the MBE simulated final exam in barbri's MPQ2 is an outrageous flame... i thought we were done with this super-hard material we've never learned crap... after consistently hitting 80% on the mpq2's i scored a clean 51% on the this today. they say the goal is 60 so i'm below. yet again, more barbri scare tactics. very annoying that they assume nobody wants to study for this thing. would rather they taught us the frequently tested tricks in a non-sociopathic way.

daphne

Postby daphne » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Just got 4 out of 13 NYMC evidence right...... so frustrated

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:30 pm

daphne wrote:Just got 4 out of 13 NYMC evidence right...... so frustrated

Congrats on getting literally double my score for that set. :oops:

From what I've heard in the "How are you doing on the multiple choice?" thread, that's a set that murders a bunch of us. It's probably just a shitty set of questions.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:59 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:
daphne wrote:Just got 4 out of 13 NYMC evidence right...... so frustrated

Congrats on getting literally double my score for that set. :oops:

From what I've heard in the "How are you doing on the multiple choice?" thread, that's a set that murders a bunch of us. It's probably just a shitty set of questions.

And you doubled my score. Torts and Evidence NYMC have both boned me.
Last edited by MBZags on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:27 pm

thanks guys. ...I don't know if I can make 50% of the points on the essays. I could probably on essays that are MBE topics but I haven't focused much on NY distinctions. Have you been practicing making law up? I know I will need to do that.

I also haven't even looked at the NYMC. Remember how they said they think they get the questions from the annotations of random statutes? I just don't know that it is the best use of my time.

my sense, not based on any real data, is that if you were to perform equally on each section, you would need to get about 50% on everything to pass (I know the scaled cut off is around 666 - ironically - but I mean raw)....the average person may get more like 60% as barbri claims but the 30th percentile person passes too. The interesting thing is that it seems like people are clumped up around maybe 55-65 right on the MBE and, I wonder, if the gains change every percent more one gets above that clump or if you always add a standard 12 points or whatever. It seemed like with the MPRE that if 27-32/50 got you an 85, then clearly each question you got right beyond 27-32 got you more scaled points than there first 27-32 you got right since the scale went up to 150. I guess I need to check out this separac website.

ok I will stop yammering and ask some practical questions. ..for NY people who have neglected the essays, what is your plan from here on out? I have ambitions of reviewing two topic handouts in a day but usually I don't even make it through one, so I'm thinking realistically I can review maybe seven topic handouts between now and the bar....maybe NY practice, pr, prop, crim (weakest MBE areas), and what else? Wills? Family law?

also anyone have an outline made from the handouts from last year or something? before I screwed up my wrists I made outlines based on the MBE topic handouts for torts, conlaw, and contracts which I am happy to share.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:35 pm

honestly i really don't think you are behind at all. i can't imagine most people have started memorizing for NY subjects, simply because it hasn't been assigned in the paced program.

with only about two weeks left, i will focus on hammering NY practice/wills/trusts/domestic relations/corporations/PR while cycling in a few MBE subjects a day to keep fresh on that for MC and for NY essays.

I honestly will not be focusing too much on NY distinctions for teh MBE subjects. It just doesn't seem worth it at this point. The NY essays on MBE topics can be mostly gamed without much knowledge of the NY distinctions, and my mastery of the underlying substantive matter is pretty good.

I think that seems manageable (edited note: i.e. mostly doable with insanely long and stressful days), but it would be easier if we didnt have videos scheduled every fucking day from now until next thursday. I will probably spend, outside of lecture, maybe 3 hours total on sectrans/CP, agency/pship, fedjur, conflicts.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:41 pm

Just based on your guys' discussion of NY, how is this exam not harder than CA? I get that CA is graded kind of harshly, but we have much, much less material to cover, and it's not like our essay questions are very difficult.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:43 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:The interesting thing is that it seems like people are clumped up around maybe 55-65 right on the MBE and, I wonder, if the gains change every percent more one gets above that clump or if you always add a standard 12 points or whatever. It seemed like with the MPRE that if 27-32/50 got you an 85, then clearly each question you got right beyond 27-32 got you more scaled points than there first 27-32 you got right since the scale went up to 150. I guess I need to check out this separac website.
Here's the conversion chart for the July 2011 MBE. California posts it after each test for the benefit of those who didn't pass, so you could google it for other test dates. You'll see that you get less of a bump the more questions you get right.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:49 pm

5ky wrote:honestly i really don't think you are behind at all. i can't imagine most people have started memorizing for NY subjects, simply because it hasn't been assigned in the paced program.

with only about two weeks left, i will focus on hammering NY practice/wills/trusts/domestic relations/corporations/PR while cycling in a few MBE subjects a day to keep fresh on that for MC and for NY essays.

I honestly will not be focusing too much on NY distinctions for teh MBE subjects. It just doesn't seem worth it at this point. The NY essays on MBE topics can be mostly gamed without much knowledge of the NY distinctions, and my mastery of the underlying substantive matter is pretty good.

I think that seems manageable (edited note: i.e. mostly doable with insanely long and stressful days), but it would be easier if we didnt have videos scheduled every fucking day from now until next thursday. I will probably spend, outside of lecture, maybe 3 hours total on sectrans/CP, agency/pship, fedjur, conflicts.

This is exactly what I am going to do as well. Also remember (and look at the feb 2013 exam released here http://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions/ ... stions.htm) that Torts/Contracts/Crim Law/Crim Pro are all high priority topics for New York (all 3 showing up in FEB) and that you can probably get a 5 without knowing the distinctions if your analysis is good and you identify the issues correctly. I'm thinking of not doing the fed jur video at all next week. Pretty sure its entirely flame minus removal (which we all learned in civ pro anyway)

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:57 pm

5ky wrote:honestly i really don't think you are behind at all. i can't imagine most people have started memorizing for NY subjects, simply because it hasn't been assigned in the paced program.

Same. Will do some periodic review of MBE, but I really want to do some review of the NY-specific topics. I haven't done the vast majority of assigned essays, so I really need to catch up on some, and get used to them. Will likely start doing 3 or 4 a day consistently, perhaps writing 1 out, and outlining the other 2 (writing out the issue and rule statements though). I've also only done like 1 MPT, so another thing I need to quickly catch up on.

KeepitKind

Postby KeepitKind » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
KeepitKind wrote:

the MBE simulated final exam in barbri's MPQ2 is an outrageous flame... i thought we were done with this super-hard material we've never learned crap... after consistently hitting 80% on the mpq2's i scored a clean 51% on the this today. they say the goal is 60 so i'm below. yet again, more barbri scare tactics. very annoying that they assume nobody wants to study for this thing. would rather they taught us the frequently tested tricks in a non-sociopathic way.

Was that the Final Exam at the end of the MPQ2 book or the simulated 200 q MBE toward the beginning? If the Final Exam at the end, did you also take the simulated MBE in the MPQ2 book? the simulated MBE in its own book? how do they all compare? ( i prob won't get to them all and am trying to figure where to trim the fat )

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:06 am

kaiser wrote:

Same. Will do some periodic review of MBE, but I really want to do some review of the NY-specific topics. I haven't done the vast majority of assigned essays, so I really need to catch up on some, and get used to them. Will likely start doing 3 or 4 a day consistently, perhaps writing 1 out, and outlining the other 2 (writing out the issue and rule statements though). I've also only done like 1 MPT, so another thing I need to quickly catch up on.

like 80% of our essays have been on MBE subjects, so you haven't missed much. that's another reason why most people probably don't know shit about NY subjects. barbri simply hasn't assigned much, or any, review of it. so unless you are going outside of paced program to drill it, you won't have touched it. i have spent all of my time beyond paced program doing MBE shit, so i have quite a bit of NY memorizing to do.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:15 am

KeepitKind wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
KeepitKind wrote:

Was that the Final Exam at the end of the MPQ2 book or the simulated 200 q MBE toward the beginning? If the Final Exam at the end, did you also take the simulated MBE in the MPQ2 book? the simulated MBE in its own book? how do they all compare? ( i prob won't get to them all and am trying to figure where to trim the fat )

The SFE (Simulated Final Exam) at the end of MPQ2. Haven't done the simulated 200q MBE at the beginning (unless that's the barbri simulated midterm we took a few weeks ago, but I think that is somewhere else). The SFE is insanely hard... it is 100 questions all on the level of set 5s/6s or even harder. A bunch of exceptions to the exceptions that they haven't taught us. Would be nice to just get a lecture on "advanced tricks" and then a quiz instead of nothing, and then a quiz on this crap in mid-July.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:44 am

I agree about the NY distinctions except that NY's "indelible right to counsel' seems to come up in every damn crim essay barbri assigns in some way and I always forget what exactly it means.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”