BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:55 pm

Ahead of the barbri arrow, killing practice MBE quizes on the reg, minimally competent on any subject essay practiced, dominating MPT practices... feel like I could pass the exam today. doomed? what do you do once you reach this point, and there's still 3 weeks to go. just drill/rotate MBEs and Essays endlessly? if i throttle back the pace worried I will lose my quickness/muscle memory or worse fundamentals. anybody else feeling this (assuming there have to be some people out there who are on pace and not behind).

ETA: ok, i would probably 55 a wills question but who cares
Last edited by c3pO4 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:58 pm

c3pO4 wrote:Ahead of the barbri arrow, killing practice MBE quizes on the reg, minimally competent on any subject essay practiced, dominating MPT practices... feel like I could pass the exam today. doomed? what do you do once you reach this point, and there's still 3 weeks to go. just drill/rotate MBEs and Essays endlessly? if i throttle back the pace worried I will lose my quickness/muscle memory or worse fundamentals. anybody else feeling this (assuming there have to be some people out there who are on pace and not behind).


yes "killing" and "dominating" 3 weeks too early = doomed.

I'm not even sure its possible to be ahead of my barbri arrow.

I'd just memorize essay subjects more and start "killing" and "dominating" those as well

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:59 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:Ahead of the barbri arrow, killing practice MBE quizes on the reg, minimally competent on any subject essay practiced, dominating MPT practices... feel like I could pass the exam today. doomed? what do you do once you reach this point, and there's still 3 weeks to go. just drill/rotate MBEs and Essays endlessly? if i throttle back the pace worried I will lose my quickness/muscle memory or worse fundamentals. anybody else feeling this (assuming there have to be some people out there who are on pace and not behind).


yes "killing" and "dominating" 3 weeks too early = doomed.

I'm not even sure its possible to be ahead of my barbri arrow.


peaked too early? you want to be peaking in the playoffs. see: denver nuggets

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:01 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
peaked too early? you want to be peaking in the playoffs. see: denver nuggets


goal is to pass dood, not to ace. i'm sure you'll be fine.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:01 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:Ahead of the barbri arrow, killing practice MBE quizes on the reg, minimally competent on any subject essay practiced, dominating MPT practices... feel like I could pass the exam today. doomed? what do you do once you reach this point, and there's still 3 weeks to go. just drill/rotate MBEs and Essays endlessly? if i throttle back the pace worried I will lose my quickness/muscle memory or worse fundamentals. anybody else feeling this (assuming there have to be some people out there who are on pace and not behind).


yes "killing" and "dominating" 3 weeks too early = doomed.

I'm not even sure its possible to be ahead of my barbri arrow.


peaked too early? you want to be peaking in the playoffs. see: denver nuggets
Except that passing the bar requires minimal competency. You don't have to be the Heat; you just have to not be the Bobcats.

AntiHuman
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby AntiHuman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:44 pm

nerds lol smh

User avatar
Joe Quincy
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 10:42 am

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby Joe Quincy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:55 pm

c3pO4 wrote:Ahead of the barbri arrow, killing practice MBE quizes on the reg, minimally competent on any subject essay practiced, dominating MPT practices... feel like I could pass the exam today. doomed? what do you do once you reach this point, and there's still 3 weeks to go. just drill/rotate MBEs and Essays endlessly? if i throttle back the pace worried I will lose my quickness/muscle memory or worse fundamentals. anybody else feeling this (assuming there have to be some people out there who are on pace and not behind).

ETA: ok, i would probably 55 a wills question but who cares


If this is true, you have wasted dozens of hours of your life. Congrats. Why on earth would you not scale back once you got that point? I'm not even at the arrow...not because I couldn't be...but because it would be a colossal waste of time.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:06 pm

So what's a good score for the practice MBE?

Need to decide whether or not to freak out.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:Ahead of the barbri arrow, killing practice MBE quizes on the reg, minimally competent on any subject essay practiced, dominating MPT practices... feel like I could pass the exam today. doomed? what do you do once you reach this point, and there's still 3 weeks to go. just drill/rotate MBEs and Essays endlessly? if i throttle back the pace worried I will lose my quickness/muscle memory or worse fundamentals. anybody else feeling this (assuming there have to be some people out there who are on pace and not behind).

ETA: ok, i would probably 55 a wills question but who cares


If this is true, you have wasted dozens of hours of your life. Congrats. Why on earth would you not scale back once you got that point? I'm not even at the arrow...not because I couldn't be...but because it would be a colossal waste of time.


well i don't really have a life, and even if i found something better to do (all the things i plan to do in august), i wouldn't be able to enjoy/relax just bc im that kind of person. so might as well just study 24/7. as long as it doesn't *cause* me to fail, i don't care if i waste time

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby BCLS » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:17 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:So what's a good score for the practice MBE?

Need to decide whether or not to freak out.


110-120

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:21 pm

;)
Last edited by jawsthegreat on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:25 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
BCLS wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:So what's a good score for the practice MBE?

Need to decide whether or not to freak out.


110-120


Sweet. So if I got a 137 I can feel pretty good?


#humblebrag

DwightSchruteFarms
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:46 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
BCLS wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:So what's a good score for the practice MBE?

Need to decide whether or not to freak out.


110-120


Sweet. So if I got a 137 I can feel pretty good?


What the f*ck do you think? Is 137 between 110-120? No? Ok, so is it below or above? Kind of seems like it is above. So if someone gives you a range for a "good score" and you are 17 points above the higher end of that range, what can you deduce?

I mean this highscoretrolling on TLS can get ridiculous sometimes.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:53 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
BCLS wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:So what's a good score for the practice MBE?

Need to decide whether or not to freak out.


110-120


Sweet. So if I got a 137 I can feel pretty good?


What the f*ck do you think? Is 137 between 110-120? No? Ok, so is it below or above? Kind of seems like it is above. So if someone gives you a range for a "good score" and you are 17 points above the higher end of that range, what can you deduce?

I mean this highscoretrolling on TLS can get ridiculous sometimes.


i read this in the voice of dwight schrute

lawdawg09
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby lawdawg09 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Is it safe to be using the Sakai essay video mini battle outlines to rely on for the non MBE BLL? I have done all the substantive law videos with the fill in the blank outlines and so far I have found them all useless. I learn by doing MBEs and writing and re-writing essays.

The clock is ticking and I want to be efficient as possible here on out. My MBE scores thus far are above average so I am focusing on honing my essay skills and organization.

My mentality at this point is this: I couldn't give two shits about some obscure portion of the law that is in the CMR and not the battle outline. If SHTF on test day, I can (hopefully) rely on my ability to bullshit some amazing rule statements. It is all about that 65.

Looking at the CA released model answers, it is clear that those gunners were improvising with some of their rule statements and taking liberties with the law. If that can get an 85, I figure my time is better spent working on getting the major testable issues down while relying on the "forest" approach to the periphery.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:26 pm

So if we don't actually submit these simulated MBE scantrons, can we still find out our scaled score once they create the curve?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6338
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:30 pm

kaiser wrote:So if we don't actually submit these simulated MBE scantrons, can we still find out our scaled score once they create the curve?


there's no 'scaled' score i don't think. you get a percentile, if that's what you mean.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:39 pm

5ky wrote:
kaiser wrote:So if we don't actually submit these simulated MBE scantrons, can we still find out our scaled score once they create the curve?


there's no 'scaled' score i don't think. you get a percentile, if that's what you mean.
Also, the percentile has to be estimated/backward-looking, since there's no other way they could tell the first wave of students what their percentile is. Doing it that way is fine, since there's no reason for Barbri to make more than minor year-to-year tweaks in the test and there's not much reason to suspect that one year's students are any better or worse than the average of past years. It does, however, seem a bit shady--and unnecessarily so--to sell it to us as "how you stack up against the very students you'll be taking the bar exam with" or whatever.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Ok, so then I guess last year's percentile guide is a good indicator of where we stand.

hds2388
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby hds2388 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:03 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
5ky wrote:
kaiser wrote:So if we don't actually submit these simulated MBE scantrons, can we still find out our scaled score once they create the curve?


there's no 'scaled' score i don't think. you get a percentile, if that's what you mean.
Also, the percentile has to be estimated/backward-looking, since there's no other way they could tell the first wave of students what their percentile is. Doing it that way is fine, since there's no reason for Barbri to make more than minor year-to-year tweaks in the test and there's not much reason to suspect that one year's students are any better or worse than the average of past years. It does, however, seem a bit shady--and unnecessarily so--to sell it to us as "how you stack up against the very students you'll be taking the bar exam with" or whatever.


I don't understand why you're saying it has to be estimated. Can't they just grade all of our tests when they come in today/tomorrow and figure out where in the percentile continuum we stand? The jdxn's all take it on the same day or two for the most part (state by state) so you know where you stand against your entire jdxn, which is who you take the test against. Perhaps I;m confused how they do this.

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
BCLS wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:So what's a good score for the practice MBE?

Need to decide whether or not to freak out.


110-120


Sweet. So if I got a 137 I can feel pretty good?


What the f*ck do you think? Is 137 between 110-120? No? Ok, so is it below or above? Kind of seems like it is above. So if someone gives you a range for a "good score" and you are 17 points above the higher end of that range, what can you deduce?

I mean this highscoretrolling on TLS can get ridiculous sometimes.



i vote you freak out because its not far enough above average. yikes. better get studying dude.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:18 pm

hds2388 wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
5ky wrote:
kaiser wrote:So if we don't actually submit these simulated MBE scantrons, can we still find out our scaled score once they create the curve?


there's no 'scaled' score i don't think. you get a percentile, if that's what you mean.
Also, the percentile has to be estimated/backward-looking, since there's no other way they could tell the first wave of students what their percentile is. Doing it that way is fine, since there's no reason for Barbri to make more than minor year-to-year tweaks in the test and there's not much reason to suspect that one year's students are any better or worse than the average of past years. It does, however, seem a bit shady--and unnecessarily so--to sell it to us as "how you stack up against the very students you'll be taking the bar exam with" or whatever.


I don't understand why you're saying it has to be estimated. Can't they just grade all of our tests when they come in today/tomorrow and figure out where in the percentile continuum we stand? The jdxn's all take it on the same day or two for the most part (state by state) so you know where you stand against your entire jdxn, which is who you take the test against. Perhaps I;m confused how they do this.
The claim is that you get your score against all the other Barbri students in the nation. Since those tests are graded over the course of three Tuesdays, there's no way to give accurate, immediate information to any but the last cohort of students.

Also, just because students are testing in the same jurisdiction doesn't mean they have the same/similar schedules. A lot of it is dependent on when a student's law school finishes its academic year. I'd imagine that a bar like New York that takes candidates from all over the country probably has a significant percentage of its candidates taking the simulated MBE each of the three Saturdays it's offered.

hds2388
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby hds2388 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:32 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:The claim is that you get your score against all the other Barbri students in the nation. Since those tests are graded over the course of three Tuesdays, there's no way to give accurate, immediate information to any but the last cohort of students.

Also, just because students are testing in the same jurisdiction doesn't mean they have the same/similar schedules. A lot of it is dependent on when a student's law school finishes its academic year. I'd imagine that a bar like New York that takes candidates from all over the country probably has a significant percentage of its candidates taking the simulated MBE each of the three Saturdays it's offered.


Where is the claim were measured against ALL students taking it?

Further, even for those first students, you are graded against the people against whom you're taking the bar (or a one-third subset of them). And given for instance, the vast majority of NY took the test today and yesterday, we are being judged against a significant subset of the people taking it in our jdxn. Worst case, you're judged against 1/3 of the country? That doesn't seem gripe-worthy or misleading to me.

Not to be a barbri apologist, I just don't get why you thought it was misleading.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6338
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:34 pm

I'd think the sample size from wave 1 and then especially with wave 2 would be big enough that a large part of it would be based on this years' students.

And aside from the few schools like Stanford that have june graduations, I think almost every school is on the same schedule for a state like NY

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby de5igual » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Also, if the simulated mbe percentile is reported like the studysmart, the percentiles can be updated nightly (or weekly, as the case may be)




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: deadthrone7, Husky09, Lithium94, orchidbloom, Stubbazubba, vorely and 7 guests