BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AMCD

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby AMCD » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:19 am

Minor panic attack post 1/2 day MBE "Final Exam" -- just don't get it. Had done MPQ2 sets 1 through 5 and got 70% ish on all. Did the 1/2 day "final" today and got 50%. Seriously, I read some of the explanations and I swear I have not seen those things in the CMR, nor heard them in the lecture. Turns out the target is 60% for the "final". Not sure if I should just forge ahead with the continuing mixed sets. That score was something of a confidence blow. Sorry to vent. Thoughts? Thank you !!

usc278

Postby usc278 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:03 am

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I got the same score on it as I did on the simulated MBE midterm and I was a little stressed until I talked to all my friends who all did worse or the same. There were so many questions on there that were just absurd that I don't even care to list them all. However, I especially liked the con law ones that required knowledge of some minute irrelevant cases.

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:13 pm

usc278 wrote:I wouldn't worry about it at all. I got the same score on it as I did on the simulated MBE midterm and I was a little stressed until I talked to all my friends who all did worse or the same. There were so many questions on there that were just absurd that I don't even care to list them all. However, I especially liked the con law ones that required knowledge of some minute irrelevant cases.

Thank you for the reply, and pep talk! I agree, there were ridiculous questions and answers. I didn't even think some of the answers were necessarily correct. I wonder when Barbri's apparent confidence boosting period starts? I have heard they do this at some point. I signed up knowing their fear mongering was bad, but it's not quite true until you live it each day. Problem is I know too many people who did well on the full-day midterm and yesterday. Oh well. Thanks again!!

roxy8338

Postby roxy8338 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Can anyone help me out on NY Essay 23? Why wouldn't B have to go through a foreclosure sale? Doesn't this conveyance look to meet the requirements of an equitable mortgage, and thus when A defaulted, B should have put it up in a foreclosure sale instead of outright selling it?

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:54 pm

So I'm wondering where we are supposed to be on memorization at this point? I do well on the MBE questions (at least surpassing the goals) but I can't say that I have a lot memorized at this point. I'm not able to really spit out much BLL, but the MBE questions kinda jog the memory. I'm getting pretty worried that I wont have time to commit it to memory considering, at least in my program, I still have lectures on new subjects into next week.

rnf1292

Postby rnf1292 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Am I the only person who has yet to touch any of the MPQ2 books..?

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:02 pm

rnf1292 wrote:Am I the only person who has yet to touch any of the MPQ2 books..?

i haven't yet. maybe i will once we finish the simulated mbe this week.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:05 pm

rnf1292 wrote:Am I the only person who has yet to touch any of the MPQ2 books..?

I'm in NY, and following the Barbri PACE program, and it hasn't told me to touch the MPQ2 book yet, so I haven't.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:26 pm

anybody do NYT R-28?

Does NY not recognize inventory searches?

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:16 pm

AMCD wrote:Minor panic attack post 1/2 day MBE "Final Exam" -- just don't get it. Had done MPQ2 sets 1 through 5 and got 70% ish on all. Did the 1/2 day "final" today and got 50%. Seriously, I read some of the explanations and I swear I have not seen those things in the CMR, nor heard them in the lecture. Turns out the target is 60% for the "final". Not sure if I should just forge ahead with the continuing mixed sets. That score was something of a confidence blow. Sorry to vent. Thoughts? Thank you !!

Damn, i just finished the first half of the halfday.....holy crap that was hard. the questions were long as hell and i went over time for the first time ever. I normally finished 5-10 mins before. Even worse, I scored 54%. Let's hope the 2nd half goes better.

LJANE7867

Postby LJANE7867 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:41 pm

For everyone who has already taken the simulated MBE -- did you think watching the videos afterwards were useful? The introduction video guarantees a 15 point increase but I am skeptical. Plus, after doing the PRE videos, MBE Drills, and the actual subject lectures, I don't think I can handle anymore Barbri videos. Also, I still have quite a ways to go on preparing for the essays (MI has 15 essays covering 24 subjects) and a few lectures I haven't watched yet that are scheduled for next week. That said, I can't help shake the feeling that I might actually miss out on something important if I skip them. Thoughts?

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Planning to do mixed sets after I finish all the 2's and 4's, in the last 12 days or so. So don't sweat.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Stinson wrote:

Planning to do mixed sets after I finish all the 2's and 4's, in the last 12 days or so. So don't sweat.

same. Too early for me right now.

dunkin

Postby dunkin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:55 pm

LJANE7867 wrote:For everyone who has already taken the simulated MBE -- did you think watching the videos afterwards were useful? The introduction video guarantees a 15 point increase but I am skeptical. Plus, after doing the PRE videos, MBE Drills, and the actual subject lectures, I don't think I can handle anymore Barbri videos. Also, I still have quite a ways to go on preparing for the essays (MI has 15 essays covering 24 subjects) and a few lectures I haven't watched yet that are scheduled for next week. That said, I can't help shake the feeling that I might actually miss out on something important if I skip them. Thoughts?

I watched videos for sections that I did the worst on, which was pretty time consuming. Other sections I just read the answers to missed questions. The beginning of the ConLaw video was useful (tips on time management and moving on), but overall, most were a reiteration of the answers in the back. If you're strapped on time, I think you'd be fine just going over missed answers yourself if you can do it quicker (each subject was about an hour, not counting the times I had to pause).

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Just finished, did a lot better on the second half (66%) so my I finished at the 60 mark. That shit was BRUTAL.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:13 pm

How long did the simulated MBE take?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:How long did the simulated MBE take?

It's 3 hours, an hour break, and then another three hours

ace_of_spades

Postby ace_of_spades » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:40 pm

LJANE7867 wrote:For everyone who has already taken the simulated MBE -- did you think watching the videos afterwards were useful?

I am curious as well. The self-paced program set aside two days to watch the videos. That seems like quite a bit of time to me.

I did well on the exam (at least according to last years numbers). I'm leaning more towards skipping the videos and reviewing on my own.

Any other thoughts?

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:47 pm

I don't think the Barbri questions are all that great. I think they're sloppy, sometimes they seem wrong and the answers seem contradictory. Anyone compared Barbri questions to actual MBE questions?

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:47 pm

ace_of_spades wrote:
LJANE7867 wrote:For everyone who has already taken the simulated MBE -- did you think watching the videos afterwards were useful?

I am curious as well. The self-paced program set aside two days to watch the videos. That seems like quite a bit of time to me.

I did well on the exam (at least according to last years numbers). I'm leaning more towards skipping the videos and reviewing on my own.

Any other thoughts?

That's what I did. I'll get back to you in November and let you know if it worked.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:53 pm

ace_of_spades wrote:

Any other thoughts?
(Non-brag disclosure for perspective's sake: I did extremely well on the simulated MBE.) I found a way to play the videos at double-speed--which is perfect for Prof. Castro--so the time suck wasn't as bad, but I thought it was useful. He spends quite a bit of time on tips/tricks/ways of classifying things that are at worst a good refresher. Watching the videos also has the advantage of making you go through every question, as opposed to only the ones you missed. You may pick up things you didn't realize were issues and whatnot.

ace_of_spades

Postby ace_of_spades » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
ace_of_spades wrote:

Any other thoughts?
(Non-brag disclosure for perspective's sake: I did extremely well on the simulated MBE.) I found a way to play the videos at double-speed--which is perfect for Prof. Castro--so the time suck wasn't as bad, but I thought it was useful. He spends quite a bit of time on tips/tricks/ways of classifying things that are at worst a good refresher. Watching the videos also has the advantage of making you go through every question, as opposed to only the ones you missed. You may pick up things you didn't realize were issues and whatnot.

Thanks for the tips.

How do you play the videos at double-speed?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:17 pm

ace_of_spades wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
ace_of_spades wrote:

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the tips.

How do you play the videos at double-speed?
PMed.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:52 am

Did a set of 20 of the actual released MBE Q's BarBri gives us. The facts are usually quite a bit shorter, and the answer choices, for the most part, seem a bit more straightforward. They seem to make it pretty clear what point they are testing in a given Q, and either you know it or you don't. I've done about 20 K's questions, and I think I only got 2 or 3 wrong, with at least one of those being a point of law I simply didn't know yet (as opposed to getting tripped up on something I should have known).

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:01 am

kaiser wrote:Did a set of 20 of the actual released MBE Q's BarBri gives us. The facts are usually quite a bit shorter, and the answer choices, for the most part, seem a bit more straightforward. They seem to make it pretty clear what point they are testing in a given Q, and either you know it or you don't. I've done about 20 K's questions, and I think I only got 2 or 3 wrong, with at least one of those being a point of law I simply didn't know yet (as opposed to getting tripped up on something I should have known).

That's a great score and I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I think those MBEs are pretty dated. I read somewhere that those questions are from the early 2000s, late 90s.

Either way tho, 17+ out of 20 in K is awesome. Congrats.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”