BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BCLS

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby BCLS » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:54 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
BCLS wrote:
daphne wrote:Aslo Crim Set 3 Q 16
Why the police officer can open the backpack? I thought the search of the backpack is unlawful, so the timber found in the backpack as the foundation for the arrest is obtained unlawful. Thus the arrest itself is unlawful.

I asked about this somewhere relating to an essay. Apparently even illegally seized evidence can be used for probable cause. The real issue is whether the evidence is admissible at subsequent trial.
There was nothing illegal about the search. She handed over the backpack.

Sorry just speaking in general. I didn't review that MC question.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:27 pm

BCLS wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
BCLS wrote:
daphne wrote:Aslo Crim Set 3 Q 16
Why the police officer can open the backpack? I thought the search of the backpack is unlawful, so the timber found in the backpack as the foundation for the arrest is obtained unlawful. Thus the arrest itself is unlawful.

I asked about this somewhere relating to an essay. Apparently even illegally seized evidence can be used for probable cause. The real issue is whether the evidence is admissible at subsequent trial.
There was nothing illegal about the search. She handed over the backpack.

Sorry just speaking in general. I didn't review that MC question.
Fair enough. Just to clarify the point I think you were getting at, the exclusionary rule does not apply at grand jury hearings. (In fact, the defense attorney isn't even allowed in the courtroom.) You can use any evidence whatsoever to establish probable cause for an indictment.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:29 pm

Is it just me or is this Property PRE set more difficult than the other PRE's? I'm doing terribly on it. Or maybe its just because property is tougher in general. Can't seem to get the nuances of this subject like I can with some of the others.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:31 pm

kaiser wrote:Is it just me or is this Property PRE set more difficult than the other PRE's? I'm doing terribly on it. Or maybe its just because property is tougher in general. Can't seem to get the nuances of this subject like I can with some of the others.

i did the worst on that one of any of my PREs, but still okay (17). if you're checking halfway through, you should know i went 7/14 on the first part, and then 10/11 on the last bit, which i thought was pretty straightforward.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:07 am

5ky wrote:
kaiser wrote:Is it just me or is this Property PRE set more difficult than the other PRE's? I'm doing terribly on it. Or maybe its just because property is tougher in general. Can't seem to get the nuances of this subject like I can with some of the others.

i did the worst on that one of any of my PREs, but still okay (17). if you're checking halfway through, you should know i went 7/14 on the first part, and then 10/11 on the last bit, which i thought was pretty straightforward.

Holy crap that was awful. Was getting Q after Q wrong down the homestretch as if I know nothing about this subject (which apparently is the case). Got like 14 right, which is about 5 worse than my 2nd lowest PRE set. And a few right answers down the stretch were just guesses.

Scary thing is that this is just the PRE set.

remz

Postby remz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:21 pm

How can I get my hands on actual MBE questions? I'm talking about questions from real Bar exams released by the National Conference of Bar Examiners. My understanding is that the questions in the MPQ2 are modeled off of older questions so I'd like to get my hands on some more recent real questions. Thanks!

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Finally found the released questions that BarBri gives us access to. Its like they go through hoops to hide it from it. Go to the updates and other materials in the enrolled students center, and at the bottom are files of released Q's. Many are in the old style with the 2 Q's for one set of facts. Looks like there are about 30-something Q's per subject from actual past MBE exams. They have explanations as well. Not sure how recent these questions are.

I've only flipped through some torts Q's, and they seem more straightforward for the most part.

ace_of_spades

Postby ace_of_spades » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:24 pm

kaiser wrote:Finally found the released questions that BarBri gives us access to. Its like they go through hoops to hide it from it. Go to the updates and other materials in the enrolled students center, and at the bottom are files of released Q's. Many are in the old style with the 2 Q's for one set of facts. Looks like there are about 30-something Q's per subject from actual past MBE exams. They have explanations as well. Not sure how recent these questions are.

I've only flipped through some torts Q's, and they seem more straightforward for the most part.

I'm not finding the questions you are talking about in the updates & other materials section.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:32 pm

ace_of_spades wrote:
kaiser wrote:Finally found the released questions that BarBri gives us access to. Its like they go through hoops to hide it from it. Go to the updates and other materials in the enrolled students center, and at the bottom are files of released Q's. Many are in the old style with the 2 Q's for one set of facts. Looks like there are about 30-something Q's per subject from actual past MBE exams. They have explanations as well. Not sure how recent these questions are.

I'm not finding the questions you are talking about in the updates & other materials section.

Me either. I'm guessing he means released state questions (not mbe) and only some states provide them.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
ace_of_spades wrote:

Me either. I'm guessing he means released state questions (not mbe) and only some states provide them.

No, these are very much old MBE questions

Edit: Was gonna post a screenshot, but looks like someone else did already
Last edited by kaiser on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:35 pm

This is where they are for me. I can't imagine why it would be different for different states, maybe you should shoot them an email bitching about it, they might give them to you

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:35 pm

kaiser wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:
ace_of_spades wrote:

No, these are very much old MBE questions

Yeah I don't have that. That whole part of my update page is missing. All of my lecture handouts also aren't listed...they are listed next to the videos themselves.

Can you post the links themselves?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:Yeah I don't have that. That whole part of my update page is missing. All of my lecture handouts also aren't listed...they are listed next to the videos themselves.

Can you post the links themselves?
PMed.

hrcycle

Postby hrcycle » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:54 pm

does anyone know if the barbri mpq question set goals are supposed to be the average/median score? i.e. if you hit the goal exactly you're at ~50th percentile for barbri test takers?

ace_of_spades

Postby ace_of_spades » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:39 pm

Has anyone else been copying the lecture outlines into word format? It takes a decent amount of time but I think it will be worth it during the last two week crunch. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I've also been adding some (very few) nuances from the CMR and anything I picked up from questions that I've missed, to the lecture notes.
Last edited by ace_of_spades on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:46 pm

ace_of_spades wrote:Has anyone else been copying the lecture outlines into word format? It takes a decent amount of time but I think it will be worth it during the last two week crunch. Any thoughts?

I did for a few classes where the outlines were difficult to study (e.g. civ pro). For others I just highlight in a manner that lets me skim the entire outline for a review without reading paragraph form/hypos.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:20 pm

I scored above average on the Stimulated MBE and now have been pwnd on the MPQ2 sets, any one have this problem or just me? It says they should be way easier ...

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:42 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:I scored above average on the Stimulated MBE and now have been pwnd on the MPQ2 sets, any one have this problem or just me? It says they should be way easier ...

Thats very odd. My scores have been the exact opposite of yours. I scored below the average on the Simulated MBE but I've decimated the MPQ2 sets (80%+). I think the MPQ2 sets are not representative of a "score." Some sets ask the same question in three different ways over three consecutive questions. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just learn fromt he questions you missed

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Can someone explain this distinction here between these two questions. I did set 9 in the mixed set book and came across two questions that seem to contradict one another in the answers. Question 19 and question 50.

In question 19, there was a hunter and his nephew who were on their way to a hunting trip to hunt grizzly bears. Unbeknownst to the them, hunting season had ended the day before, and were pulled over while on their way to their hunting spot. The hunter admitted that they were going grizzly hunting, and according to the answer, they were guilty of conspiracy because they intended to go hunt grizzly bears and their lack of knowledge about the season being over is irrelevant.

Compare that with question 50, in which you have a man and a woman who decide to get married. The woman doesn't know that the man is still legally married to someone else, and bigamy is a strict liability offense in the state. But according to the answer to this question, the woman is not guilty of conspiracy because she didn't know he was married and therefore could not agree to commit bigamy.

To me, these seem to be completely contradictory to one another. In one, you have two people who agree to hunt grizzly bears (which is illegal at the time, and are unaware that bear season had passed) and they are guilty of conspiracy. Then on the other hand, you have a wife and a man who agree to marry, and the woman is unaware that he is married, and she's not guilty of conspiracy. You have two situations, both of which involve people agreeing to commit an act that turns out to be illegal contrary to their belief, and one answer says lack of knowledge of the illegality is irrelevant, the other says it prevents a conviction.

Can someone explain this to me?
Last edited by blong4133 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 pm

blong4133 wrote:Can someone explain this distinction here between these two questions. I did set 9 in the mixed set book and came across two questions that seem to contradict one another in the answers. Question 12 and question 50.

In question 12, there was a hunter and his nephew who were on their way to a hunting trip to hunt grizzly bears. Unbeknownst to the them, hunting season had ended the day before, and were pulled over while on their way to their hunting spot. The hunter admitted that they were going grizzly hunting, and according to the answer, they were guilty of conspiracy because they intended to go hunt grizzly bears and their lack of knowledge about the season being over is irrelevant.

Compare that with question 50, in which you have a man and a woman who decide to get married. The woman doesn't know that the man is still legally married to someone else, and bigamy is a strict liability offense in the state. But according to the answer to this question, the woman is not guilty of conspiracy because she didn't know he was married and therefore could not agree to commit bigamy.

To me, these seem to be completely contradictory to one another. In one, you have two people who agree to hunt grizzly bears (which is illegal at the time, and are unaware that bear season had passed) and they are guilty of conspiracy. Then on the other hand, you have a wife and a man who agree to marry, and the woman is unaware that he is married, and she's not guilty of conspiracy. You have two situations, both of which involve people agreeing to commit an act that turns out to be illegal contrary to their belief, and one answer says lack of knowledge of the illegality is irrelevant, the other says it prevents a conviction.

I'm too tired to look these up but was the hunting a specific intent crime? General intent? Its possible these are just horrible examples.

Edit: I tried to look these up after all but my question 12 isn't the same as yours...was that also in set 9?

Judging by the answer to 50, the distinction is in what they were going to do. In the hunting, the agreement was to go hunting. In the bigamy, the agreement was to get married...not to commit bigamy.
Last edited by Joe Quincy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:18 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:I scored above average on the Stimulated MBE and now have been pwnd on the MPQ2 sets, any one have this problem or just me? It says they should be way easier ...

Thats very odd. My scores have been the exact opposite of yours. I scored below the average on the Simulated MBE but I've decimated the MPQ2 sets (80%+). I think the MPQ2 sets are not representative of a "score." Some sets ask the same question in three different ways over three consecutive questions. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just learn fromt he questions you missed

it happened to me -- above average on sim MBE and then 54% on MPQ2S1. freaked me out, grinded, then got 74% on set 2 and just pulled an 88 on 3 today -- boom! may have peaked too early

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:21 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
blong4133 wrote:Can someone explain this distinction here between these two questions. I did set 9 in the mixed set book and came across two questions that seem to contradict one another in the answers. Question 12 and question 50.

In question 12, there was a hunter and his nephew who were on their way to a hunting trip to hunt grizzly bears. Unbeknownst to the them, hunting season had ended the day before, and were pulled over while on their way to their hunting spot. The hunter admitted that they were going grizzly hunting, and according to the answer, they were guilty of conspiracy because they intended to go hunt grizzly bears and their lack of knowledge about the season being over is irrelevant.

I'm too tired to look these up but was the hunting a specific intent crime? General intent? Its possible these are just horrible examples.

I think they're just horrible examples, but thought that maybe I was missing a distinction here. And in the grizzly bears question, they specify that hunting out of season is a specific intent crime. So both are specific intent.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:22 pm

blong4133 wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:

I think they're just horrible examples, but thought that maybe I was missing a distinction here. And in the grizzly bears question, they specify that hunting out of season is a specific intent crime. So both are specific intent.

See my edit. Based on 50's answer, in the bigamy she intended to get married...not commit bigamy. Whereas in the hunting one, they intended to go hunting which was what the offense was. The marriage may have resulted in bigamy, but that wasn't the act she intended. Conspiracy is a specific intent crime and you have to intend the crime...not simply you intend an act and that act results in the commission of a crime.

It's a fine line I grant you... The only way I can think of it happening is as here where the offense is a status crime (being married twice) and not the act of getting married that is illegal.
Last edited by Joe Quincy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Did anyone skip the full-day practice MBE? Mine is scheduled for next week and I've been going slower than the course pace which probably true for most. All of my subject areas are covered with the exception of the entirety of Property and around 20% of Contracts which are my two worst subjects by far. I usually cover the material in depth a week behind the lecture so last week I was reviewing the two subjects covered the entire previous week to avoid a complete and utter cramfest for the last two weeks. I just don't know if it's a worthwhile endeavor for me to essentially lose a day of studying to get slammed on material I already know I don't know. Contemplating breaking it up into two days next weekend when Property and Contracts are done and I feel like I'm on better footing. Just wanted to see if anyone has done the same.

AgentSCo

Postby AgentSCo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:28 pm

get it to x wrote:Did anyone skip the full-day practice MBE? Mine is scheduled for next week and I've been going slower than the course pace which probably true for most. All of my subject areas are covered with the exception of the entirety of Property and around 20% of Contracts which are my two worst subjects by far. I usually cover the material in depth a week behind the lecture so last week I was reviewing the two subjects covered the entire previous week to avoid a complete and utter cramfest for the last two weeks. I just don't know if it's a worthwhile endeavor for me to essentially lose a day of studying to get slammed on material I already know I don't know. Contemplating breaking it up into two days next weekend when Property and Contracts are done and I feel like I'm on better footing. Just wanted to see if anyone has done the same.

I skipped it. I'm taking the CA bar and JUST started Civ Pro, so I'm pretty far behind. I'm putting off the full-day practice MBE until I've finished the lectures for each of the different subjects, which I actually NEED to do.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”