BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:23 am

goodolgil wrote:Maybe it's a NY thing or they hate me.
Mine's up (NY).


tfer2222 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:For NY Practice I, does anyone else have audio but no visual?


i have the visual. but its stopped on me a few times and started over from the beginning which is really annoying.

I, am, however, appreciating this guy's enthusiastic effort at making this subject matter somewhat tolerable.
Thanks! Restarted and got the visual. Mine has been stopping too though.

MoltenWings
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby MoltenWings » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:18 am

How important do you all think it is to attend lecture? (Assuming, you are diligently watching the lectures at home.)

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
goodolgil wrote:Maybe it's a NY thing or they hate me.
Mine's up (NY).


tfer2222 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:For NY Practice I, does anyone else have audio but no visual?


i have the visual. but its stopped on me a few times and started over from the beginning which is really annoying.

I, am, however, appreciating this guy's enthusiastic effort at making this subject matter somewhat tolerable.
Thanks! Restarted and got the visual. Mine has been stopping too though.


my favorite is when you have to re-start the video and it starts back up from the beginning. so you get to manually find where you were before.

User avatar
MBZags
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby MBZags » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:20 am

MoltenWings wrote:How important do you all think it is to attend lecture? (Assuming, you are diligently watching the lectures at home.)


I've done online only, but I don't see how I would get any benefit from going to the lectures since they don't really take questions. And I can speed the lectures up online, which allows me more time to study/do other shit.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby kaiser » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:35 am

I've stopped attending the classroom video lecture. I hate that I can't even pause it in the classroom, so I have to go back and re-watch portions. I like being able to do the 30-sec rewinds to make sure I hear everything, stop the video if I'm getting too tired, etc. Plus I avoid an hour of traveling to my law school, which gives me more time to study.

jkay
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby jkay » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:39 pm

Paula Franzese is fucking obnoxious. SHUT THE HELL UP WITH THE SONGS AND JUST TELL ME THE ANSWERS.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:50 pm

kaiser wrote:I've stopped attending the classroom video lecture. I hate that I can't even pause it in the classroom, so I have to go back and re-watch portions. I like being able to do the 30-sec rewinds to make sure I hear everything, stop the video if I'm getting too tired, etc. Plus I avoid an hour of traveling to my law school, which gives me more time to study.
Same. During the first week I was having trouble fitting in both study and gym, so I took a look at my schedule and was like..... why am I doing a 2 hour and 10 minute round trip commute for something I could be doing from my HOME, exactly? I felt like a real goober. So I sent back my June train pass and doing it from home has been great. I was a little nervous at first that it would take longer, because I had some classes during school that I could also watch online if I missed them, and that always took longer because my mind would wander and I'd have to keep running it back. But that really hasn't been a problem with Barbri, probably because the material is presented slower and also it's just not as hard.

User avatar
skamike
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby skamike » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Doing NY video class:

Goddamn the NY Practice portion is terrible. Also, I wish there were some questions to make sure I actually understand the concepts I think I'm understanding

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:48 pm

skamike wrote:Doing NY video class:

Goddamn the NY Practice portion is terrible. Also, I wish there were some questions to make sure I actually understand the concepts I think I'm understanding


ditto.

also, i'm worried about how I'm going to condense all of that crap. If this was a ls class, I'd just make a mini outline of some sort and just keep making it shorter, but for bar purposes I don't have time to do that. there's just too much of it.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby td6624 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:02 pm

abudaba wrote:
MoltenWings wrote:What % did everyone complete so far?


37% for me and I feel like I'm slowly starting to fall more and more behind. Looks like we should be at about 39%ish (in CA). Not sure if all states go at the same pace?


25% here. And I haven't done a single practice essay. Maybe this week?

I've also been really lazy with the practice MBE stuff. But. I dunno. It has to be pretty hard to fail....

.....

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Barbri says that people who do everything assigned average about 9 points better on the bar exam than those who don't. Who are these people that do everything they are assigned? I am gunning hard and am only at about 31% out of probably 40.

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:40 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:Barbri says that people who do everything assigned average about 9 points better on the bar exam than those who don't. Who are these people that do everything they are assigned? I am gunning hard and am only at about 31% out of probably 40.


they probably just checkmark everything on the paced program, without actually doing everything assigned.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby kaiser » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:54 pm

td6624 wrote:
abudaba wrote:
MoltenWings wrote:What % did everyone complete so far?


37% for me and I feel like I'm slowly starting to fall more and more behind. Looks like we should be at about 39%ish (in CA). Not sure if all states go at the same pace?


25% here. And I haven't done a single practice essay. Maybe this week?

I've also been really lazy with the practice MBE stuff. But. I dunno. It has to be pretty hard to fail....

.....


I'm only at like 14% yet I don't think I'm behind at all (nor am I). I never checked off the AMP assignments since I prefer to do AMP afterward to reinforce the black letter rules. So maybe thats why my % is so much lower than many other people. Only actual assignments I had to miss was the very first essay assignment, and the first MPT. But at this point, I've done a few essays, and will get around to an MPT this weekend. I can see how it easy it is to slip and get behind, but if you find a groove that is working so far, I don't think the % completion matters much. Big difference between checking a box and truly learning/mastering material.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Still 12%. Haven't tried an essay yet. Going to get more serious next week.

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:09 pm

kaiser wrote:
td6624 wrote:
abudaba wrote:
MoltenWings wrote:What % did everyone complete so far?


37% for me and I feel like I'm slowly starting to fall more and more behind. Looks like we should be at about 39%ish (in CA). Not sure if all states go at the same pace?


25% here. And I haven't done a single practice essay. Maybe this week?

I've also been really lazy with the practice MBE stuff. But. I dunno. It has to be pretty hard to fail....

.....


I'm only at like 14% yet I don't think I'm behind at all (nor am I). I never checked off the AMP assignments since I prefer to do AMP afterward to reinforce the black letter rules. So maybe thats why my % is so much lower than many other people. Only actual assignments I had to miss was the very first essay assignment, and the first MPT. But at this point, I've done a few essays, and will get around to an MPT this weekend. I can see how it easy it is to slip and get behind, but if you find a groove that is working so far, I don't think the % completion matters much. Big difference between checking a box and truly learning/mastering material.



Obviously. But I have not had time to do an AMP in probably a week. Not too concerned about it either.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:25 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
RodneyBoonfield wrote:Barbri says that people who do everything assigned average about 9 points better on the bar exam than those who don't. Who are these people that do everything they are assigned? I am gunning hard and am only at about 31% out of probably 40.


they probably just checkmark everything on the paced program, without actually doing everything assigned.

Lol, I hope that's not how Barbri is measuring who does what for their statistical purposes. I check things off under two circumstances: 1) I do it, or 2) I make the executive decision that I am never, ever doing it.

Foosters Galore
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby Foosters Galore » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:46 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:
RodneyBoonfield wrote:Barbri says that people who do everything assigned average about 9 points better on the bar exam than those who don't. Who are these people that do everything they are assigned? I am gunning hard and am only at about 31% out of probably 40.


they probably just checkmark everything on the paced program, without actually doing everything assigned.

Lol, I hope that's not how Barbri is measuring who does what for their statistical purposes. I check things off under two circumstances: 1) I do it, or 2) I make the executive decision that I am never, ever doing it.


Yeah, and what constitutes "doing it."

When it says "Review X subject," I read over my notes a few times. Others are making flash cards and drilling shit into memory.
When it says "Do essay 4, Contracts," I'm just outlining and moving on. I still put a check next to it.

I'm actually on pace with the green arrow, but I have a feeling that I'm taking the easier road on a lot of the discretionary stuff.

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:00 pm

You read your notes a few times? It takes me a good hour and a half to read them well once. I can't imagine how long it takes people to make flash cards and stuff like that.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby kaiser » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:17 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:You read your notes a few times? It takes me a good hour and a half to read them well once. I can't imagine how long it takes people to make flash cards and stuff like that.


I'm realizing that it takes a bit too long, but it certainly helps for drilling the substantive law. My "review" consists of typing the key points from my notes into an online flashcard maker that syncs with my phone app. I make a card for vocab terms, rules, elements, exceptions, etc. Just making the cards forces me to re-think the material, and then of course drilling the flash cards themselves can be done anytime since they sync to my phone app. I've found this really helpful, but very time consuming and I feel like I won't be able to keep it going.

Foosters Galore
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby Foosters Galore » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:39 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:You read your notes a few times? It takes me a good hour and a half to read them well once. I can't imagine how long it takes people to make flash cards and stuff like that.


It really depends on the subject. For Torts, I have like a 12 page outline. For Contracts, its like 21.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby goodolgil » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:57 pm

I don't think the percentage completed matters. I think it treats all assignments as equal for that purpose and a lot of them are pretty worthless.

EDIT: FWIW, I'm at 20% in the third week of the program. Seems fine to me.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:49 am

Foosters Galore wrote:
RodneyBoonfield wrote:You read your notes a few times? It takes me a good hour and a half to read them well once. I can't imagine how long it takes people to make flash cards and stuff like that.


It really depends on the subject. For Torts, I have like a 12 page outline. For Contracts, its like 21.
Not criticizing, just wondering: Why are you making/using an outline other than the fill-in-the-blank lecture outline? That seems that a lot of time/effort when the professor has already prepared something that basically says "this is the stuff they're likely to test."

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby tfer2222 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:18 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:
RodneyBoonfield wrote:You read your notes a few times? It takes me a good hour and a half to read them well once. I can't imagine how long it takes people to make flash cards and stuff like that.


It really depends on the subject. For Torts, I have like a 12 page outline. For Contracts, its like 21.
Not criticizing, just wondering: Why are you making/using an outline other than the fill-in-the-blank lecture outline? That seems that a lot of time/effort when the professor has already prepared something that basically says "this is the stuff they're likely to test."


I outline the handouts myself because

1) that's just how I've always learned, and having brief outlines come july will streamline my memorization process, and
2) for me, the handouts are way too cumbersome and long (page-wise) to really be able to see the big picture. I need a more concise outline to compartmentalize everything in my head.

Granted, I outline the handout immediately after each lecture, and it doesn't take me more than about 2-2.5 hours. So I've been able to keep up well.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby td6624 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:53 am

just tried a practice essay for the first time.

did not go well.

Foosters Galore
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby Foosters Galore » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:10 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:
RodneyBoonfield wrote:You read your notes a few times? It takes me a good hour and a half to read them well once. I can't imagine how long it takes people to make flash cards and stuff like that.


It really depends on the subject. For Torts, I have like a 12 page outline. For Contracts, its like 21.
Not criticizing, just wondering: Why are you making/using an outline other than the fill-in-the-blank lecture outline? That seems that a lot of time/effort when the professor has already prepared something that basically says "this is the stuff they're likely to test."


My first lecture subject was torts which did not have a handout, so I just took notes. Lectures are pretty much structured in outline form, so after the two torts lectures, I had a pretty damn good outline. Instead of having a 60-70 page stack of handout pages, I just take notes during each lecture. I realize that each lecture only contains stuff that is on the test, so I'm not picking and choosing what to include. I'm pretty much copying verbatim what they say.

So, I now have word doc outlines that are 12-20 pages for each subject that pretty much mirrors the handouts except I will leave out examples if Its a concept that's fairly easy to grasp.

I've also reduced a couple of them into attack outlines so that I have 5 page outline for torts, con law, and crim with just the BLL. I find it much easier to study and less overwhelming than that 500 page Handout book.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests