BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bgdddymtty

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:54 pm

newyorker88 wrote:What's everyone doing about laptops? We're not supposed to bring a laptop case. I'm curious what I should put it in so I'm not leaving the javits center with a laptop in my hands.
The Texas instructions tell us to put it in a giant (2.5 gallon) Ziploc bag.

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:02 pm

How likely is admin, fed tax, or suretyship? Thinking about punting on these.

Anyone else throwing back a beer?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:16 pm

wildhaggis wrote:How likely is admin, fed tax, or suretyship? Thinking about punting on these.

Does a Sonic shake count? #notaswildaswildhaggis

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 pm

wildhaggis wrote:How likely is admin, fed tax, or suretyship? Thinking about punting on these.

Highly unlikely, hopefully.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:43 pm

painful but expected. hope i passed, but really have no idea.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:17 pm

i didn't feel very good about today. then the people around me kept talking about how totally fair and straight forward it was.

so

there's that

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:34 pm

NY checking in. Wasn't too terrible aside from a few sub issues where I had to guess, or make some stuff up. I felt relatively okay on a majority of essay issues. Glad there was no commercial paper/secured transactions. Happy that there was a full on criminal law essay with nothing else mixed in.

Not happy that MPT was such an odd choice of format, and NYMC just made me lolguess the whole way through

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:47 pm

kaiser wrote:NY checking in. Wasn't too terrible aside from a few sub issues where I had to guess, or make some stuff up. I felt relatively okay on a majority of essay issues. Glad there was no commercial paper/secured transactions. Happy that there was a full on criminal law essay with nothing else mixed in.

Not happy that MPT was such an odd choice of format, and NYMC just made me lolguess the whole way through

ditto this.

My MPT felt kinda bare, but at least I think I organized it well.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:53 pm

I think BarBri did a decent job preparing us in NY. Mentioned the kinda random worker's comp contrbution issue at length, made us focus on SoLs, focused a lot on anti-lapse in wills material, all those 10 million MBE questions on the different forms of property crimes were sorta helpful for the crim question, etc...

Of course no idea how it compares to other prep companies. I'd guess about the same.

EDIT: Though a bad job of preparing us for NYMC which is worth just as much as the MPT. As I expected their practice questions were not remotely similar, and instead of doing those we should have just been reading the NY Distinctions section of the CMR.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:06 pm

IL had an entire essay on surface water drainage rights. The IL specific law is nowhere to be found in any of the BarBri materials. I'm sure everyone guessed on that one.

There were a couple other specific issues BarBri never really prepped us for. Like what happens to a spouse in a will when divorce proceedings were initiated but never completed before the testator dies?

Oh well. They teach you 80-90% and there's probably a big curve for the things they miss.

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:07 pm

jml8756 wrote:There were a couple other specific issues BarBri never really prepped us for. Like what happens to a spouse in a will when divorce proceedings were initiated but never completed before the testator dies?

There was an MEE essay in BarBri UBE materials about precisely this. And it came up on today's UBE.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:11 pm

jkay wrote:
jml8756 wrote:There were a couple other specific issues BarBri never really prepped us for. Like what happens to a spouse in a will when divorce proceedings were initiated but never completed before the testator dies?

There was an MEE essay in BarBri UBE materials about precisely this. And it came up on today's UBE.

Hmm I guess it could have been in an earlier sample essay that I never got to. What's the answer?

brassmonkey7

Postby brassmonkey7 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:13 pm

goodolgil wrote:I think BarBri did a decent job preparing us in NY. Mentioned the kinda random worker's comp contrbution issue at length, made us focus on SoLs, focused a lot on anti-lapse in wills material, all those 10 million MBE questions on the different forms of property crimes were sorta helpful for the crim question, etc...

Of course no idea how it compares to other prep companies. I'd guess about the same.

EDIT: Though a bad job of preparing us for NYMC which is worth just as much as the MPT. As I expected their practice questions were not remotely similar, and instead of doing those we should have just been reading the NY Distinctions section of the CMR.

The anti-lapse issue kind of through me though, did the five kids inherit per capita or per stirpes?

Rosebud523

Postby Rosebud523 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:13 pm

We are talking in another thread also..lets combine the discussion! The Illinois bar examiners were total assholes

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=214031

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:16 pm

jml8756 wrote:Hmm I guess it could have been in an earlier sample essay that I never got to. What's the answer?

Wife takes under will until moment final divorce decree entered.

klj1

Postby klj1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:28 pm

brassmonkey7 wrote:
goodolgil wrote:I think BarBri did a decent job preparing us in NY. Mentioned the kinda random worker's comp contrbution issue at length, made us focus on SoLs, focused a lot on anti-lapse in wills material, all those 10 million MBE questions on the different forms of property crimes were sorta helpful for the crim question, etc...

The anti-lapse issue kind of through me though, did the five kids inherit per capita or per stirpes?

Unclear - I totally confused myself when writing that answer, and just realized that even though I stated that the default scheme was per capita, I did the actual distribution per stirpes.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:41 pm

jkay wrote:
jml8756 wrote:Hmm I guess it could have been in an earlier sample essay that I never got to. What's the answer?

That was the easy part, but I was unprepared for when a prenup conflicts a will. They gave us dates so I assumed that meant they mattered and said since the will was more recent the will should control. Didn't know what to do about the little bastard though. Googled it and the answer is basically will trumps if no specific lingo in prenup saying will doesn't trump. So I feel good.

Noted in any case, mamma only inherits if intestacy, prenup sticks, bastard gets nothing. Otherwise she is sol.

As for the personal rep question, wut duh fetch? (Utah bar language)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:53 pm

I only did one set of BarBri NYMC questions and I don't regret skipping those at all (instead, I read my New York Practice index cards during breakfast).

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:20 pm

usuaggie wrote:
jkay wrote:

That was the easy part, but I was unprepared for when a prenup conflicts a will. They gave us dates so I assumed that meant they mattered and said since the will was more recent the will should control. Didn't know what to do about the little bastard though. Googled it and the answer is basically will trumps if no specific lingo in prenup saying will doesn't trump. So I feel good.

Noted in any case, mamma only inherits if intestacy, prenup sticks, bastard gets nothing. Otherwise she is sol.

That question is going to give me nightmares. I came up with the same conclusion as you, so hopefully we're both right.

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:24 pm

Totally recognized the prenup issue and then forget to discuss it, even though i wrapped up 20 minutes early. :shock:

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:45 pm

Looking on the bright side, its sort of nice reviewing my MBE flashcards, seeing NY distinction notes and being like "Do. Not. Care."

Postby 02122015 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:46 am

In MN, Barbri taught us MN essay topics. Surprise, MN is a UBE state now! We didn't learn some MEE shit, like agency, secured transactions, or commercial paper! We did learn useless shit like tax and PR!

Astonishingly, this isn't even Barbri's fault because the MN BLE decided to surprise everyone by listing the wrong fucking information on their own website!

Void

Postby Void » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:20 am

The prenup/illegitimate child/unfinished divorce was on the Connecticut bar too. I stumbled through it. I said that the will trumps the prenup because testator waives wife's prenup waiver (lol wut), kid takes because he still counts as a child of testator, and wife takes because divorce isn't complete. Then there was that question about who should administer the estate. Ugh. I also fapped my way through that one.

Postby 02122015 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:06 am

Void wrote:The prenup/illegitimate child/unfinished divorce was on the Connecticut bar too. I stumbled through it. I said that the will trumps the prenup because testator waives wife's prenup waiver (lol wut), kid takes because he still counts as a child of testator, and wife takes because divorce isn't complete. Then there was that question about who should administer the estate. Ugh. I also fapped my way through that one.

Oof, I wasn't sure either, but I said the will controls as to inheritance but the prenup controls otherwise (blocks wife from being the administrator/representative), and son permanently ceased to be a legal child of father once aunt adopted him, since father never formally readopted son.

Gave estate to wife and appointed mother as the representative or whatever). Son gets nothing. I agreed that the divorce didn't affect anything since it wasn't finalized, but I guessed my way through that whole thing.

FamilyLawEsq

Postby FamilyLawEsq » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:28 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
jkay wrote:

That question is going to give me nightmares. I came up with the same conclusion as you, so hopefully we're both right.

If prenup waived Wife's right to take under the Will and there are no issues with the prenup's execution (fraud, incapacity etc) then pre nup rules and wife gets nothing. If biological son was adopted, son gets nothing unless the will was drafted after the adoption.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”