BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
traehekat

Gold

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Post by traehekat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:54 am

clashjones87 wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:Tomorrow's not too late to learn commercial paper, right? Riiiiiight? (Crickets).
I think you can learn the basics of any topic in a day.
What about the basics of say, oh... 7 topics?

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:42 am

17/18 on that free NCBE practice set. Done studying. Fuck tomorrow. Maybe I'll do one MPT since I haven't been able to finish any of my previous 4 attempts in 90 minutes, but whatever. Fuck this shit. Barbri, fuck you, biggest waste of money in my life (including law school).

Dear Kids, don't do barbri. Go on ebay, get the barbri outlines and study those. Maybe sign up for one of those cheap companies (a few hundred dollars) that give you lots of multi-choice questions. but don't give barbri a dime.

clashjones87

New

Post by clashjones87 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:43 am

traehekat wrote:
clashjones87 wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:Tomorrow's not too late to learn commercial paper, right? Riiiiiight? (Crickets).
Which 7? And have you actually not studied 7 topics?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:47 am

wildhaggis wrote:Hate to ask another obvious question, but are you guys actually putting your laptops in a 2-1/2 gallon bag for the first day? A little surprised we can't bring them in laptop bags.
I'm going to bring one of those semi-disposable tote bags and just throw it out (or, stash it in a corner outside security and not care if it gets thrown out).

On the way back, I guess I'll just carry my laptop in hand.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 am

T, in his will, gives Blackacre to his two children A and B as joint tenants with right of survivorship. A predeceases, leaving C as issue.

which result:

#1) anti-lapse applies. C and B become tenants in common. it doesn't matter that A died first because A predeceased T. but A's death is a sufficient event to sever the joint tenancy, and C and B are tenants in common.

#2) anti-lapse applies. C and B become joint tenants with right of survivorship. it doesn't matter that A died first because A predeceased T

#2) A dies before B, so B takes a fee simple, even though A and B did not get an interest until T's death.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:36 am

englawyer wrote:T, in his will, gives Blackacre to his two children A and B as joint tenants with right of survivorship. A predeceases, leaving C as issue.

which result:

#1) anti-lapse applies. C and B become tenants in common. it doesn't matter that A died first because A predeceased T. but A's death is a sufficient event to sever the joint tenancy, and C and B are tenants in common.

#2) anti-lapse applies. C and B become joint tenants with right of survivorship. it doesn't matter that A died first because A predeceased T

#2) A dies before B, so B takes a fee simple, even though A and B did not get an interest until T's death.
No idea but I argue the first #2.

But I also don't see this being asked on the bar.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:03 am

clashjones87 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
clashjones87 wrote:
Which 7? And have you actually not studied 7 topics?
Trusts, Equity, Surety, Admin, Personal Property, Fex Tax, Conflicts.

I've done the lectures but have barely reviewed and done no essay. It's not too bad, though. Fed Tax and Surety won't be on it, so don't have to study for those. Conflicts is never it's own question, and there isn't much to it anyway. Equity and Personal Property are pretty short, simple topic so not really worried about that.

Trusts and Admin are the wild cards. I probably really need to focus on trusts today, and then making sure I remember everything else.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:05 am

Joe Quincy wrote:
englawyer wrote:T, in his will, gives Blackacre to his two children A and B as joint tenants with right of survivorship. A predeceases, leaving C as issue.

which result:

No idea but I argue the first #2.

But I also don't see this being asked on the bar.
Sadly, that's the exact kind of thing I expect to be on the bar.

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:08 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
Sadly, that's the exact kind of thing I expect to be on the bar.
Even if it were, the actual conclusion would be worth little. There are plenty of things to talk about:
- Lapse
- Antilapse
- How JTs and ROS work
- Vesting
- Why it isn't absolutely clear (apply facts)
- Result if TIC
- Result if the ROS was effective
- Come up with some kind of reason
- Apply to facts and conclusion

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:19 am

which result:

The answer is #3 or the second #2. This is exactly the time of thing you will see on the bar.

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:28 am

FamilyLawEsq wrote:

which result:

The answer is #3 or the second #2. This is exactly the time of thing you will see on the bar.
I could see this answer too, but I think both are arguable. The grant hasn't vested yet so no ROS. 3 is probably closest to the testator's intent but some states read the statute more strictly. (Then again, arguably the testator would have changed his will if he didn't want C to take in place of A after A's death.)

This is a ROS, but not words of survivorship that would overcome the antilapse statute. I see nothing in VA's antilapse statute (for example) that would suggest 3 is obviously correct over 2. You have a beneficiary who is a lineal descendant of a grandparent, a gift, that is lapsing, and no words of survivorship conditioning the gift upon surviving the testator.

What makes you think 3 is correct? I'd have to think that some states are at least split on this.

Edit: Arguably this grant wouldn't truly lapse because A's interest couldn't really go the residuary if he predeceased. I still think you'd get substantial credit for arguing it either way.
Last edited by Joe Quincy on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:46 am, edited 8 times in total.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:31 am

imchuckbass58 wrote:
wildhaggis wrote:Hate to ask another obvious question, but are you guys actually putting your laptops in a 2-1/2 gallon bag for the first day? A little surprised we can't bring them in laptop bags.
I'm going to bring one of those semi-disposable tote bags and just throw it out (or, stash it in a corner outside security and not care if it gets thrown out).

On the way back, I guess I'll just carry my laptop in hand.
This is what I'm doing. All those free Westlaw and Lexis swag bags are coming in handy.

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:35 am

Edited
Last edited by FamilyLawEsq on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legalnoeagle

Bronze

Post by legalnoeagle » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:19 am

Nvm

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Literally had no idea what a commercial paper was up until a few hours ago. I figure so long as I can say the elements of a negotiable instrument, say what a holder in due course is, and say some stupid shit about the liability of the drawee bank, thats probably enough to get a point. Same thing with secured transactions. Would likely at most be 1/3 of an essay and nothing more.

ninereal

New

Post by ninereal » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:13 pm

kaiser wrote:
Literally had no idea what a commercial paper was up until a few hours ago. I figure so long as I can say the elements of a negotiable instrument, say what a holder in due course is, and say some stupid shit about the liability of the drawee bank, thats probably enough to get a point. Same thing with secured transactions. Would likely at most be 1/3 of an essay and nothing more.
SecTrans isn't actually that hard - just read through like ten or so of the essays and you'll start to pick it up pretty fast. It sounds awful when you've just heard the lecture, but it actually makes a lot more sense once you see the fact patterns.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:17 pm

ninereal wrote: SecTrans isn't actually that hard - just read through like ten or so of the essays and you'll start to pick it up pretty fast. It sounds awful when you've just heard the lecture, but it actually makes a lot more sense once you see the fact patterns.
This is my plan for later this evening. Just read model answers and get some patterns/vocab down so I can hope for a point or two.

At this point I'm just glad I'm not in California.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:29 pm

ninereal wrote:
kaiser wrote:
SecTrans isn't actually that hard - just read through like ten or so of the essays and you'll start to pick it up pretty fast. It sounds awful when you've just heard the lecture, but it actually makes a lot more sense once you see the fact patterns.
I don't think I even brought the NY Testing book with me on my trip. Will check up the sample essay answers on the BOLE site to learn some more buzzwords. I'm not sure if tonight should be dedicated to those tiny little areas we are unlikely to see, bolstering a bit more in the big areas we are likely to see, or just chilling the hell out and relaxing.

Brassica7

Bronze

Post by Brassica7 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Question about intent for battery: if you make an intentional movement and accidentally hit someone, is that battery? For example, if I get excited and wave my hands and accidentally backhand someone I didn't know was behind me, did I commit battery? It was an intentional movement (not an involuntary spasm), but I did not intend harmful or offensive contact. Thanks for the help!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:17 pm

Last time checking in before gametime. Just reading over some essay sample answers tonight to have some phrases and buzzwords fresh in my mind.

Just wanted to wish you all good luck. Its been a wild 2 months, and I don't think it will be wasted time for anyone on here. We are all gonna pass, then look back and laugh at how crazy we got. So go rock it tomorrow.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:22 pm

ninereal wrote:
kaiser wrote:
I would kill for a Secured Transactions question.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:43 pm

Brassica7 wrote:Question about intent for battery: if you make an intentional movement and accidentally hit someone, is that battery? For example, if I get excited and wave my hands and accidentally backhand someone I didn't know was behind me, did I commit battery? It was an intentional movement (not an involuntary spasm), but I did not intend harmful or offensive contact. Thanks for the help!
No. There must be the intent to cause (harmful or offensive) contact with someone.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:49 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Brassica7 wrote:Question about intent for battery: if you make an intentional movement and accidentally hit someone, is that battery? For example, if I get excited and wave my hands and accidentally backhand someone I didn't know was behind me, did I commit battery? It was an intentional movement (not an involuntary spasm), but I did not intend harmful or offensive contact. Thanks for the help!
No. There must be the intent to cause (harmful or offensive) contact with someone.
cr, it'd be negligence

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:33 pm

stratocophic wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
cr, it'd be negligence
Or, like nothing at all. We impliedly consent to daily contacts of life and all. But you're right, that's the best possible suit if you had to bring one.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:45 pm

What's everyone doing about laptops? We're not supposed to bring a laptop case. I'm curious what I should put it in so I'm not leaving the javits center with a laptop in my hands.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”