BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
keg411

Platinum

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Post by keg411 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:21 pm

phonepro wrote:I just did the SFE and got a 64.

I got a 135 on simulated MBE, and was banking on killing the MBE b/c I suck significantly at the essays, and have put them off the entire 2 months. Now I don't feel confident at all.

Le sigh.

10x in both con law and property O_o
Yeah, I've been constantly in the 60% range on all of the multiple choice stuff, so I feel you there. Planning to do the SFE tomorrow, so we'll see if I can even hit 60%. Multiple choice can DIAF. I might have to buy this NCBE Set #2 thing after all (can you just buy one set)?

Also, for anyone who has put off the essays, it's pretty easy to sit down and do a ton in one/two days.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:26 pm

SFE was hard as hell. I wouldn't be freaking out over that.

By all indications, the MPQ2 mixed sets are most representative of the MBE. If you're doing poorly on those, I might consider worrying. Otherwise, relax.

clashjones87

New

Post by clashjones87 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:27 pm

clashjones87 wrote:For UBE jurisdictions, do we need to know both common law and UPC for Wills or just UPC? Thank you
Please, someone?

mirodh

New

Post by mirodh » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:40 pm

On the MBE, when is products liability determined through the negligence standard and when is it determined through strict liability? Does it depend on whether or not it is unreasonably dangerous when it is put into the stream of commerce?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:52 pm

mirodh wrote:On the MBE, when is products liability determined through the negligence standard and when is it determined through strict liability? Does it depend on whether or not it is unreasonably dangerous when it is put into the stream of commerce?
It all depends on what the claim itself is. A party could bring a strict liability or regular negligence action against a retailer or manufacturer. Just apply your understanding of the appropriate concept based on what the actual lawsuit says. If strict liability, all that matters is that the product had a defect (whether a manufacturing defect, or a design defect), that the defect rendered the product unreasonably dangerous to the ordinary consumer, and that the product was place into the stream of commerce in that defective condition. If its a negligence claim, we look into what kind of care the manufacturer or retailer took.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:01 pm

I'm sort of just assuming that on the actual MBE they would tell you or at least strongly imply whether the person was bringing a negligence or a strict liability action. Some of the Barbri questions don't and then when you get to the answer explanations they pull the classic Barbri, "Well, A would be best for a strict liability action, but C would be best for a negligence action, so, you know, C is right."

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:14 pm

clashjones87 wrote:
clashjones87 wrote:For UBE jurisdictions, do we need to know both common law and UPC for Wills or just UPC? Thank you
Please, someone?

UBE = MEE. Barbri MEE question answers discuss both common law and UPC. My lecturer taught both. I am going to go with both.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Stinson wrote:I'm sort of just assuming that on the actual MBE they would tell you or at least strongly imply whether the person was bringing a negligence or a strict liability action. Some of the Barbri questions don't and then when you get to the answer explanations they pull the classic Barbri, "Well, A would be best for a strict liability action, but C would be best for a negligence action, so, you know, C is right."

I don't think I've ever seen this? Every question I can think of they tell you on the facts that plaintiff is bringing on either a theory or negligence or strict liability or both. I get all bungled up when they bring in warnings on the product.

Kaiser did you do this half day or full day exam? Should I bother?
Last edited by Matteliszt on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:18 pm

Should I even bother doing the MPQ2 mixed sets? I did a full simulated MBE from the S & T Emmanuels book the other day and felt decent about my raw score. But since I'm still in panic mode, curious if I should do it. Or should I just keep memorizing?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clashjones87

New

Post by clashjones87 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:30 pm

Glock wrote:
clashjones87 wrote:
Please, someone?

UBE = MEE. Barbri MEE question answers discuss both common law and UPC. My lecturer taught both. I am going to go with both.
That's what I'm seeing in my lecture notes too. Just wanted to make sure. Thank you.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:31 pm

Matteliszt wrote:
Stinson wrote:I'm sort of just assuming that on the actual MBE they would tell you or at least strongly imply whether the person was bringing a negligence or a strict liability action. Some of the Barbri questions don't and then when you get to the answer explanations they pull the classic Barbri, "Well, A would be best for a strict liability action, but C would be best for a negligence action, so, you know, C is right."

I don't think I've ever seen this? Every question I can think of they tell you on the facts that plaintiff is bringing on either a theory or negligence or strict liability or both. I get all bungled up when they bring in warnings on the product.

I did a bit of the half day. Was doing pretty crappy and got discouraged so I said screw it. That was before I did those 3 NCBE tests. If those are representative, then I'm not spending any more time on MBE.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:32 pm

kaiser wrote:
Matteliszt wrote:

I did a bit of the half day. Was doing pretty crappy and got discouraged so I said screw it. That was before I did those 3 NCBE tests. If those are representative, then I'm not spending any more time on MBE.

Are you just working on the 500000000 variations of Domestic Relations essays Barbri gave us then?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:52 pm

Matteliszt wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Matteliszt wrote:

Are you just working on the 500000000 variations of Domestic Relations essays Barbri gave us then?
Yeah, doing a fair share of all the damn domestic relations essays (and wills, omg so many wills essays). Been focusing on domestic relations, corporations, and wills/trusts, since I feel like 2 of those will have an essay, or at least be major parts. Past a certain point, its the same issues over and over, so I feel a bit better now, since I was super behind on essays and NY material before today.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:12 am

kaiser wrote:
Yeah, doing a fair share of all the damn domestic relations essays (and wills, omg so many wills essays). Been focusing on domestic relations, corporations, and wills/trusts, since I feel like 2 of those will have an essay, or at least be major parts. Past a certain point, its the same issues over and over, so I feel a bit better now, since I was super behind on essays and NY material before today.

I love when they give us a complicated factual Wills situation and then "Discuss."

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:16 am

Matteliszt wrote:
kaiser wrote:

I love when they give us a complicated factual Wills situation and then "Discuss."
Yeah, wills can be a bitch, but the practice is really helping since it ends up being the same issues over and over again. Its so rule-driven that, if you know the rule and just run it through, theres little to no discretion or tangential discussion to add. In so many essays, they have so much additional discussion on things I wouldn't even have considered (and oftentimes didn't even know). With wills, its just think of the rule, apply the rule, and see what the result is.

Its like, as long as you know elective share, ademption, anti-lapse, will execution requirements, and revocation issues, you have the vast majority of main topics down pat.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:36 am

+1 to everything there. Seriously people, just double check to see if it's your own damn house before you steal from it/set it on fire/kill someone inside/make a sandwich.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:57 am

kaiser wrote:
From everyone I spoke to, and from NCBE themselves, that is a highly representative test. And if anything, I'd say #2 was the most difficult of the 3. In other words, you are gonna destroy the MBE, and I wouldn't waste another second studying for that component.

Now I look like an elaborate flame and feel like an asshole.

mirodh

New

Post by mirodh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:07 am

"A golfer and her instructor were playing golf in a foursome whent he golfer..............stood a few yards behind the instructor and swung a club at him. The instructor, who was focusing on his shot, was not within range of the club but unfortunately the club slipped out of the golfer's hands and struck the instructor in the head, injuring him.

If the instructor brings a battery action, will he recover?"

It is Barbri Torts question set 5 question 32. I picked yes b/c the golfer acted intentionally and caused harmful contact to her instructor (basing my answer on the theory that intent can transfer from tort to tort, e.g. from assault to battery). Barbri says the correct answer is No b/c the golfer did not intend to cause harmful or offensive contact.

Why is Barbri right and why am I wrong?

mirodh

New

Post by mirodh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:10 am

mirodh wrote:"A golfer and her instructor were playing golf in a foursome whent he golfer..............stood a few yards behind the instructor and swung a club at him. The instructor, who was focusing on his shot, was not within range of the club but unfortunately the club slipped out of the golfer's hands and struck the instructor in the head, injuring him.

It is Barbri Torts question set 5 question 32. I picked yes b/c the golfer acted intentionally and caused harmful contact to her instructor (basing my answer on the theory that intent can transfer from tort to tort, e.g. from assault to battery). Barbri says the correct answer is No b/c the golfer did not intend to cause harmful or offensive contact.

To clarify, Barbri explanation did not mention intent transferring from assault to battery. I am trying to figure out if I have a misconception about how that particular rule works, or if there is something else I'm just missing.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:17 am

This has probably been addressed, but who knows. Just a heads up to people freaking out about their scores on barbri materials. I just took one of the actual MBE 100 question sets available on the MBE website. I was consistently getting 60-65% on barbri question sets. Freaking 84% on the actual MBE. I've never gotten anywhere near that on barbri sets, not even the 1 and 2 sets from MPQ1. Its difficult to describe how much easier these actual MBE questions are.
Last edited by Geist13 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mirodh

New

Post by mirodh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:18 am

mirodh wrote:
mirodh wrote:"A golfer and her instructor were playing golf in a foursome whent he golfer..............stood a few yards behind the instructor and swung a club at him. The instructor, who was focusing on his shot, was not within range of the club but unfortunately the club slipped out of the golfer's hands and struck the instructor in the head, injuring him.

To clarify, Barbri explanation did not mention intent transferring from assault to battery. I am trying to figure out if I have a misconception about how that particular rule works, or if there is something else I'm just missing.
Nevermind, I think the answer is that the golfer did not intend for the instructor to see (did not have the intend for reasonable apprehension/assault). This seems shaky but at least I understand how they could have come to that answer. Sorry for the all-me-triple-post.

Pepsi&SweetTea

New

Post by Pepsi&SweetTea » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:20 am

Matteliszt wrote:

I think some of Barbri's questions don't specify if it's a negligent or a strict liability claim in products liability. If I remember correctly, Guzman said if it doesn't specify then you should assume the product's liability claim is under a strict liability theory.

Outside of products liability cases, I think Guzman said that if it doesn't specify you should assume negligence.
Last edited by Pepsi&SweetTea on Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:22 am

This is a tricky question upon first read, and I also got it wrong. But in hindsight, its clear.

Its all about intent. He didn't intend to cause a harmful/offensive bodily contact. Nor did he intent to cause apprehension of an imminent battery. So there is no intent to transfer when that club actually struck him. You need to have intended at least one or the other for it to be said that the intent transferred into the unexpected tort.

It would be completely different had the golfer been facing him, and he swung the club close to her face to scare her. Then, he would have intended an assault, with a battery resulting, and the intent would transfer. But what exactly did he "intend" when he swung the club behind her head?

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:30 am

I just randomly did 10 questions from the strategies and tactics book, and they were SIGNIFICANTLY easier. Like almost to the point where I had to stop myself for searching for something. Definitely going to do the first 100 for a confidence boost on monday.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”