BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RodneyBoonfield

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Perfect. Thank you.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:23 pm

kaiser wrote:I'm assuming a bunch of people on here are NY BarBri folks. Can someone do me a huge favor? I do the fillable PDF's, but my corps. PDF accidentally got erased. I'd love to not have to re-watch 6 hours of video since I would be super behind. Can someone PM me about possibly emailing their corps. PDF handout? I would REALLY appreciate it, and I'd owe you bigtime.

Bumping one more time. Anybody willing to do me a favor on this?

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:15 pm

kaiser wrote:

I would If i did the PDFs. I've been filling in by hand

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:24 pm

AgentSCo wrote:I'm curious what people have been doing for "Review X." Specifically, are people reading through lecture notes, reviewing the CMR, or going through flashcards? I've been doing a mix of all three and feel like I'm not really absorbing the material, so hopefully people can share some suggestions if a particular strategy's working for them.

I just re-read the handouts (or the CMR, if the handouts were particularly unhelpful) for the most tested areas of that subject area, then try to answer some essay questions based on that.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:23 pm

kaiser wrote:
kaiser wrote:I'm assuming a bunch of people on here are NY BarBri folks. Can someone do me a huge favor? I do the fillable PDF's, but my corps. PDF accidentally got erased. I'd love to not have to re-watch 6 hours of video since I would be super behind. Can someone PM me about possibly emailing their corps. PDF handout? I would REALLY appreciate it, and I'd owe you bigtime.

Who is the professor

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:27 pm

usuaggie wrote:
kaiser wrote:

Who is the professor

Freer, but its all NY specific corps stuff

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:07 pm

So if we have not been assigned the MBE Drills in our paced program, should we have still been doing them this whole time? I just saw in the beginning of the MPQ1 book that it says to do them after the lecture.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:09 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:So if we have not been assigned the MBE Drills in our paced program, should we have still been doing them this whole time? I just saw in the beginning of the MPQ1 book that it says to do them after the lecture.

I just asked this question in other thread. I think so. I'm going to do one each day of the weekend for a differ t topic to catch my ass up. When u playing to do MPQ2?

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:44 pm

so, what's the deal on the barbri mbe midterm?? they say that average score is 110-115 and most people improve 20-25 points. if you score below average, freak out? if you score above average, passage guaranteed/hit the beach? tell me what to feel!

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Last bump. Anyone? :(

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:28 pm

BCLS wrote:
RodneyBoonfield wrote:So if we have not been assigned the MBE Drills in our paced program, should we have still been doing them this whole time? I just saw in the beginning of the MPQ1 book that it says to do them after the lecture.

I just asked this question in other thread. I think so. I'm going to do one each day of the weekend for a differ t topic to catch my ass up. When u playing to do MPQ2?

I have a hard time believing this. It would be an epic communication failure on Barbri's part. But then again it seems that all that they take seriously is the substantive content and all the administrative stuff is a straight up joke.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:42 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:
BCLS wrote:

I have a hard time believing this. It would be an epic communication failure on Barbri's part. But then again it seems that all that they take seriously is the substantive content and all the administrative stuff is a straight up joke.

I really don't see MPQ2 or the drills anywhere on the interactive paced program! Not cool.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Took my first full simulated MBE today. Got 60% correct. I definitely need to improve, but I feel pretty OK about it, considering my mediocre study progress.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:01 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Took my first full simulated MBE today. Got 60% correct. I definitely need to improve, but I feel pretty OK about it, considering my mediocre study progress.

Is the BarBri full simulated exam something you have to do on site? I want to do it at home. That's a good score!

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:10 pm

BCLS wrote:
RodneyBoonfield wrote:
BCLS wrote:

I really don't see MPQ2 or the drills anywhere on the interactive paced program! Not cool.

chill, most of the mpq2 stuff are extra questions not assigned. they're there for you to use as needed (aside from any MPQ2 sets assigned)

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:55 am

BCLS wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Took my first full simulated MBE today. Got 60% correct. I definitely need to improve, but I feel pretty OK about it, considering my mediocre study progress.

Is the BarBri full simulated exam something you have to do on site? I want to do it at home. That's a good score!

you can do it at home and mail in the scantron. doing it on site is a really good idea though, for all the reasons that you want to do it at home. it sucks to be on site, surrounded by students, early in the morning, and forced to just take a lunch break and keep going. but it's really good preparation for the test-day situation and it will suck a lot less on the day of the actual bar since you did a real simulation instead of at home at your desk. i never go to class for lecture but i have found these in-class simulations to be really worthwhile.

ehshornet

Postby ehshornet » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:31 am

Just did 15 questions (3 from Torts, Con Law, Evidence, Property, and Crim Law) and got a 12/15 (80%)! This is the highest I have scored...This was from Multistate Edge though...so I am not sure if their questions are representative of bar exam difficulty. I find their questions on their simpler side compared with Barbri's MPQ questions...Does anyone feel the same way? Are Multistate Edge's questions generally easier than Barbri's?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:50 am

ehshornet wrote:Just did 15 questions (3 from Torts, Con Law, Evidence, Property, and Crim Law) and got a 12/15 (80%)! This is the highest I have scored...This was from Multistate Edge though...so I am not sure if their questions are representative of bar exam difficulty. I find their questions on their simpler side compared with Barbri's MPQ questions...Does anyone feel the same way? Are Multistate Edge's questions generally easier than Barbri's?

Interested in this as well. I was thinking about possibly doing something like Multistate Edge or Adaptibar for the additional MBE practice, but I don't want to waste my time if the Q's are too easy or unrepresentative. I know Adaptibar is all real Q's, but I've heard that only the easier ones are released, so Adaptibar is misleading and will give you a false sense of security (though it will familiarize you with the "feel" of real MBE Q's)

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:48 am

kaiser wrote:
ehshornet wrote:Just did 15 questions (3 from Torts, Con Law, Evidence, Property, and Crim Law) and got a 12/15 (80%)! This is the highest I have scored...This was from Multistate Edge though...so I am not sure if their questions are representative of bar exam difficulty. I find their questions on their simpler side compared with Barbri's MPQ questions...Does anyone feel the same way? Are Multistate Edge's questions generally easier than Barbri's?

Interested in this as well. I was thinking about possibly doing something like Multistate Edge or Adaptibar for the additional MBE practice, but I don't want to waste my time if the Q's are too easy or unrepresentative. I know Adaptibar is all real Q's, but I've heard that only the easier ones are released, so Adaptibar is misleading and will give you a false sense of security (though it will familiarize you with the "feel" of real MBE Q's)

Multistate Edge is owned by barbri and there is at least some verbatim cross-over in questions. From the FB conversation I had with barbri complaining they don't disclose their ownership, they appear to be written by the same people. No where does barbri say they own Multistate, but if you whois the domain it is owned by barbri and hosted on their servers. I haven't found Adaptibar's questions easier than barbri's...just with less controversial/messed up reasoning.

The only place I have heard of them only releasing easy questions are from barbri themselves (and people who heard it from them), and as I said they have a conflict since they are secretly competitors. Why would the NCBE only release easy ones? They have to have a range of questions to balance the difficulty of the exam and all of the bar companies pay takers to write down every question they can think of so they can recreate them. So either way, they'd have to continually create new fact patterns at all levels of difficulty. Also FWIW, my percentage correct is almost exactly the same on both barbri and Adaptibar (I don't have Multistate Edge). I just feel less angry when I get one wrong because it usually isn't some ridiculous line of reasoning that gets you to that result.

If you decide you wany Adaptibar, I can e-mail you a code for $50 off (and in the interest of disclosure, I get a $50 referral fee).

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
kaiser wrote:

Multistate Edge is owned by barbri and there is at least some verbatim cross-over in questions. From the FB conversation I had with barbri complaining they don't disclose their ownership, they appear to be written by the same people. No where does barbri say they own Multistate, but if you whois the domain it is owned by barbri and hosted on their servers. I haven't found Adaptibar's questions easier than barbri's...just with less controversial/messed up reasoning.

The only place I have heard of them only releasing easy questions are from barbri themselves (and people who heard it from them), and as I said they have a conflict since they are secretly competitors. Why would the NCBE only release easy ones? They have to have a range of questions to balance the difficulty of the exam and all of the bar companies pay takers to write down every question they can think of so they can recreate them. So either way, they'd have to continually create new fact patterns at all levels of difficulty. Also FWIW, my percentage correct is almost exactly the same on both barbri and Adaptibar (I don't have Multistate Edge). I just feel less angry when I get one wrong because it usually isn't some ridiculous line of reasoning that gets you to that result.

If you decide you wany Adaptibar, I can e-mail you a code for $50 off (and in the interest of disclosure, I get a $50 referral fee).
I didn't know there was ever any secret about Barbri owning Multistate Edge, but I think the cat's definitely out of the bag given that Barbri gave Multistate Edge access for free to students who paid their full tuition by a certain date this year (March 1, IIRC). I've done about 100 questions in Multistate Edge so far, and I've seen three or four questions that were substantially the same as MPQ1/PRE questions. My results on the Multistate Edge questions have also been more or less in line with my Barbri results.

I doubt I would have bought Multistate Edge or any other question bank on its own. Despite my many protestations, I think that Barbri does a very good job overall with theirs, and they provide a lot of them. If you're freaking out about it, though, a few hundred bucks for peace of mind amongst all this stress might be worth it to you.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:16 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:
kaiser wrote:

I didn't know there was ever any secret about Barbri owning Multistate Edge, but I think the cat's definitely out of the bag given that Barbri gave Multistate Edge access for free to students who paid their full tuition by a certain date this year (March 1, IIRC). I've done about 100 questions in Multistate Edge so far, and I've seen three or four questions that were substantially the same as MPQ1/PRE questions. My results on the Multistate Edge questions have also been more or less in line with my Barbri results.

I doubt I would have bought Multistate Edge or any other question bank on its own. Despite my many protestations, I think that Barbri does a very good job overall with theirs, and they provide a lot of them. If you're freaking out about it, though, a few hundred bucks for peace of mind amongst all this stress might be worth it to you.

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea I already had access to Multistate Edge.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Can anyone explain Contract Set 5 # 15? I can't wrap my head around this one. How is the K not unilateral when the contractor used the bid?

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:25 pm

BCLS wrote:Can anyone explain Contract Set 5 # 15? I can't wrap my head around this one. How is the K not unilateral when the contractor used the bid?
I don't have my books with me at the moment. If you did this set online, will you give me the StudySmart question number?

Nevermind. Found it (#9952, in case anyone else cares to look at it).

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:36 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:I didn't know there was ever any secret about Barbri owning Multistate Edge, but I think the cat's definitely out of the bag given that Barbri gave Multistate Edge access for free to students who paid their full tuition by a certain date this year (March 1, IIRC).

I think most people just assumed they were affiliated. For anyone not getting it for free, nothing on the Multistate site indicates an association with barbri and in the FAQ they compare themselves to barbri in a way that most assuredly suggests they are entirely independent.

Nor did they give it to everyone. Last year they gave it to people paying by March 1 but this year my firm paid my bill by then and I didn't get it free...even though they gave it free last year to people at my firm when paid by Mar 1. It seems to be some specific incentive they send out to encourage prompt payment.

http://www.multistateedge.com/faq.shtml wrote:4. Isn’t Multistate Edge the same as BARBRI?
Multistate Edge is not the same as BARBRI. Multistate Edge offers an MBE review only. We focus on cost-effectiveness, efficiency, ease of use, and convenience. Unlike BARBRI, Multistate Edge has no classroom lectures or set study schedule. It is a self-study MBE review course, which combines an adaptive online software program for the MBE questions with downloadable condensed and full reference MBE subject outlines.

While technically correct, they aren't doing anything to make it clear that their is substantial overlap and the questions are written by the same people. The whole thing just seems shady because of the great distance they go to separate themselves...and then they talk shit about everyone except Multistate Edge in a manner that suggests they are disinterested.
Last edited by Joe Quincy on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:38 pm

BCLS wrote:Can anyone explain Contract Set 5 # 15? I can't wrap my head around this one. How is the K not unilateral when the contractor used the bid?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Doesn't the explanation say that the bid was a unilateral contract? I missed this one, but that was because I didn't have any idea of what had to support a rescission of a unilateral K.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”