BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BCLS

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Postby BCLS » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:45 pm

c3pO4 wrote:anybody else hit the wall and feel like a day of light outline review in bed while watching Bravo would be more strategic than grinding out MBE #2000-2100 and outlining essays #125-130? i'm not being lazy, i honestly think this is the best way to prepare given state of exhaustion. thoughts? should i just sack up and get grinding?

Did the same, minus Bravo haha. I just did some essays to keep fresh.

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:50 pm

c3pO4 wrote:anybody else hit the wall and feel like a day of light outline review in bed while watching Bravo would be more strategic than grinding out MBE #2000-2100 and outlining essays #125-130? i'm not being lazy, i honestly think this is the best way to prepare given state of exhaustion. thoughts? should i just sack up and get grinding?

Depends. Are they doing a Top Chef Master's marathon today?

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:52 pm

I hit the wall yesterday. I feel like I'm forgetting everything. But I'm to the point where I feel that if I don't know it now, I'll probably forget it on the test anyways. I just played some guitar for a bit then forced myself to go through more essays and a few mbe's. But man I've freaking sick of this shit. I'm past the point of caring whether or not I fail.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:54 pm

blong4133 wrote:

I hit the wall yesterday. I feel like I'm forgetting everything. But I'm to the point where I feel that if I don't know it now, I'll probably forget it on the test anyways. I just played some guitar for a bit then forced myself to go through more essays and a few mbe's. But man I've freaking sick of this shit. I'm past the point of caring whether or not I fail.

I'm with you. At this point guys it is what it is. Just go in there and do the best you can.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:59 pm

blong4133 wrote:

i'm to the point where i know i can pass, and if i DO fail its going to be because of a freak out / bad run of luck with essays just happening to hit all my weakest points.

also, i'm 100% i could pass on the second try due to the ridiculous amount of work i've put into a study foundation this summer (outlines/flashcards).

i'm fairly positive everyone posting in here will pass. no one really seems like an "at risk" applicant (esp considering this is the gunner thread)

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:03 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
blong4133 wrote:

i'm to the point where i know i can pass, and if i DO fail its going to be because of a freak out / bad run of luck with essays just happening to hit all my weakest points.

also, i'm 100% i could pass on the second try due to the ridiculous amount of work i've put into a study foundation this summer (outlines/flashcards).

i'm fairly positive everyone posting in here will pass. no one really seems like an "at risk" applicant (esp considering this is the gunner thread)

Agreed. Def hitting a wall as I type this. I tried writing these CA essays out and it just takes too much out of me. At this point, just memorize. We are all intelligent enough to apply the law to the facts. Just gotta memorize the law

utswdukie80

Postby utswdukie80 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:06 pm

I hit the wall hard after the SFE. I slowed things way down after that, so I'm starting to feel better. I'm slowly ramping things back up. Hopefully I'll feel 100% again by Tuesday...

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:09 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
blong4133 wrote:

Yeah I'm the same way. I felt like I could have taken the test and passed a week ago. It just depends on the questions that they ask. There's stuff I feel like I know really well, then there's stuff I feel like I would have no idea where to even start if presented with an essay question.

The real concern for me is that I don't know how finicky the graders are in my state on essays. My state doesn't release anything regarding them, other than the fact that they use MEE's. There's only been a few essays I reviewed where I had absolutely no idea, but then there's been a good bit where I spot the issue, but come to the wrong conclusion, or miss some little detail.

Not to mention I suck at MPT's. I pay too much attention to detail and have real problems sifting through all the crap.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:10 pm

right there with you bros trying to stay focused is a real battle. I feel exactly like Tfer2222

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:26 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/2 ... 52293.html

So what are the rights of the parties?

taxman021

Postby taxman021 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:56 pm

can anybody tell me where i can find the feb 2013 essay ny questions?

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:07 pm

I'm fluctuating pretty heavily between nervous and confident. I've done well on most MBE tests, but I have absolutely no clue on paper/secured transactions stuff. Family law, I'm ok. The rest I feel about average about for essays, and confident in criminal law. I really wish I knew the topics coming up.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Does anybody know if the trend in MEE questions is to have a specific set of interrogatories? I do very poorly when I'm faced with open-ended essay questions like "What should X do?" or "What are X's rights?". I can write semi-coherently on must subjects if the prompt gives some direction.

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:17 pm

Anyone have predictions for the Illinois essays?

Illinois jurisdiction (personal jurisdiction more specifically) seems guaranteed.

As far as multistate subjects, I'd go with contracts, torts (probably negligence), and criminal law/procedure as well, and likely wills and family law. I could see them sneaking in a conflict of laws question for torts.

Maybe real property and corporations also...?

What do you guys think?

On an unrelated note, anyone else feel like a night's sleep doesn't re-energize like it did earlier this summer? I'm start to feel like I'm running on fumes earlier and earlier in the day.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:28 pm

I am so bad at the MBE/multiple choice in general. Can't get close to 70% on any of these sets :(. Looks like that unlike the rest of you, I'm going to have to nail the essays or I'm so failing the bar.

dudeman2014

Postby dudeman2014 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:41 pm

keg411 wrote:I am so bad at the MBE/multiple choice in general. Can't get close to 70% on any of these sets :(. Looks like that unlike the rest of you, I'm going to have to nail the essays or I'm so failing the bar.

The consensus is that the actual MBE questions will be more straightforward and of lower difficulty than the BarBri questions. Do not lose hope. If you have a solid understanding of black letter law and you've been putting in the hours over the past two months you have a good shot at passing.

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:45 pm

wildhaggis wrote:Anyone have predictions for the Illinois essays?

Illinois jurisdiction (personal jurisdiction more specifically) seems guaranteed.

As far as multistate subjects, I'd go with contracts, torts (probably negligence), and criminal law/procedure as well, and likely wills and family law. I could see them sneaking in a conflict of laws question for torts.

Maybe real property and corporations also...?

What do you guys think?

On an unrelated note, anyone else feel like a night's sleep doesn't re-energize like it did earlier this summer? I'm start to feel like I'm running on fumes earlier and earlier in the day.

Taking WV exam, so have no idea about the Illinois essays, but I can definitely attest that no matter how much sleep I get, I never feel rested. At one point, I was going to bed at about 2

Nynaeve

Postby Nynaeve » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Any NY people do NYT essay 65? If so, question: for part 1, is that sample answer correct? I get that State X wrongly granted the divorce, but can the NY court just go ahead and declare that? Didn't we learn in conflicts that you are to challenge improper adjudications in the forum in which they are made? Perhaps that doesn't apply to domestic relations matters, but I'm a bit confused. Can anyone explain? Thanks.

taxman021

Postby taxman021 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:20 pm

Nynaeve wrote:Any NY people do NYT essay 65? If so, question: for part 1, is that sample answer correct? I get that State X wrongly granted the divorce, but can the NY court just go ahead and declare that? Didn't we learn in conflicts that you are to challenge improper adjudications in the forum in which they are made? Perhaps that doesn't apply to domestic relations matters, but I'm a bit confused. Can anyone explain? Thanks.

just discussed this with a friend- we think the barbri answer is wrong too. a court can't just cancel another state's bilateral divorce order like that- they can only do that if it's a unilateral divorce, which was not the case in the fact pattern since W contested it/filed an answer

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:37 pm

So guys I may have missed this but what is the consensus on auto-pass MBE score for those JX's where it is 50-50% and essays are graded on 1-7 scale?

Thanks!!

ace_of_spades

Postby ace_of_spades » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:46 pm

kaiser wrote:Took NCBE #2 today. Certainly was consistent. Got 77/100, after getting 80/100 on NCBE 1. 77/100 was 159 scaled, whereas yesterday's was 163, so no real difference.

I found Test 2 to be a bit harder. Less easy Q's, where I could just pre-phrase the answer in my head, and then just pick it out fast. Was torn more often on this test. Although evidence is one of my strongest subjects, I find real MBE evidence to be a bit harder. They hit it from a slightly different angle than BarBri does at times, and I guess that is throwing me off a bit. Also a bit odd was that I didn't do too great in crim (matched evidence in max errors), and crim is another of my best subjects. Con law was once again very easy, and seems to be far and away the easiest subject within the real MBE Q's.

In scoring it, I got freaked out when I saw 9 wrong out of first 25. But it really settled out toward the end, as it did yesterday. I'm really happy I took these tests, since its helped boost my confidence a bit.

Whoever said multiply your raw by 1.9 seems to be right, in looking at some conversion charts. Your raw score x 1.9 is the total raw that is converted up via the scaling.

I want to echo this. I took NCBE #2 today and my result was very similar. 79/110 = 162 scaled. I'm very pleased but like you my worst subjects were evidence and crim. If any of you still have time set aside for MBE work I highly recommend taking one of these tests. Like others have said, the questions are shorter and they feel different.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:51 pm

ace_of_spades wrote:
kaiser wrote:Took NCBE #2 today. Certainly was consistent. Got 77/100, after getting 80/100 on NCBE 1. 77/100 was 159 scaled, whereas yesterday's was 163, so no real difference.

I found Test 2 to be a bit harder. Less easy Q's, where I could just pre-phrase the answer in my head, and then just pick it out fast. Was torn more often on this test. Although evidence is one of my strongest subjects, I find real MBE evidence to be a bit harder. They hit it from a slightly different angle than BarBri does at times, and I guess that is throwing me off a bit. Also a bit odd was that I didn't do too great in crim (matched evidence in max errors), and crim is another of my best subjects. Con law was once again very easy, and seems to be far and away the easiest subject within the real MBE Q's.

In scoring it, I got freaked out when I saw 9 wrong out of first 25. But it really settled out toward the end, as it did yesterday. I'm really happy I took these tests, since its helped boost my confidence a bit.

Whoever said multiply your raw by 1.9 seems to be right, in looking at some conversion charts. Your raw score x 1.9 is the total raw that is converted up via the scaling.

I want to echo this. I took NCBE #2 today and my result was very similar. 79/110 = 162 scaled. I'm very pleased but like you my worst subjects were evidence and crim. If any of you still have time set aside for MBE work I highly recommend taking one of these tests. Like others have said, the questions are shorter and they feel different.

How did you compare on the Simulated MBE?

ace_of_spades

Postby ace_of_spades » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:58 pm

BCLS wrote:
ace_of_spades wrote:

131 raw.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:00 pm

ace_of_spades wrote:
BCLS wrote:
ace_of_spades wrote:

131 raw.

Mine scaled similarly. 135 raw on simulated MBE, 169 scaled on 3

Glock

Postby Glock » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:32 pm

This has been discussed before, but lets get real about MPQ2 vs. the real MBE. People who have been taking the NCBE questions: are which MPQ2 sets are they most like? Or are they more like the SFE?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”