BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:13 pm

moxypoxy wrote:Took the simulated MBE at home a few days ago and did well on it (above the goal range), my question is: can I still turn in the scantron this late to get my breakdown? How do I do this? Is it worth it?

Appreciate the help.
I thought there was a deadline for sending those in?

Also, not to rain on your parade (as I'm sure you did better than me, so congrats!), but be wary of comparing yourself to a goal that was set for people taking this test midway through their prep. Given that we are this close to exam time, I'd imagine that just beating the average for an exam that we were supposed to take midway is not indicative of where we are supposed to be. But again, if you hit 125ish+, you're in great shape.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:21 pm

moxypoxy wrote:Took the simulated MBE at home a few days ago and did well on it (above the goal range), my question is: can I still turn in the scantron this late to get my breakdown? How do I do this? Is it worth it?

Appreciate the help.
There should be an envelope that came with your books. If you can't find it, I'm sure you can call or e-mail them for the address. I know it's in Chicago.

The breakdown is pretty helpful in showing what you should work on, so it's definitely worth it. I mailed mine out on the 9th and results were posted this morning, even though they claimed it wouldn't post until Friday.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:45 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:

Appreciate the help.
I thought there was a deadline for sending those in?

Also, not to rain on your parade (as I'm sure you did better than me, so congrats!), but be wary of comparing yourself to a goal that was set for people taking this test midway through their prep. Given that we are this close to exam time, I'd imagine that just beating the average for an exam that we were supposed to take midway is not indicative of where we are supposed to be. But again, if you hit 125ish+, you're in great shape.
I think most people end up taking the test in the midpoint of their preparation so the averages are pretty accurate. Some courses start earlier than others, and others start later. In general, most people take the test at the half-way point (as I've heard at least..)

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Barbri's Essay questions are always harder than the actually released questions they have in the book (R-40, etc)

Is it even worth it to do Barbri's made up ones or should I just do all of the "R" released ones and the old released questions online? (seperac has a ton of old ones posted - going back to like 1995)

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:26 pm

tfer2222 wrote:Barbri's Essay questions are always harder than the actually released questions they have in the book (R-40, etc)

Is it even worth it to do Barbri's made up ones or should I just do all of the "R" released ones and the old released questions online? (seperac has a ton of old ones posted - going back to like 1995)
I'd say do the Barbri ones first. After trudging through the older and longer fact patterns, the 2000s tests are an absolute joke, at least in CA. The fact patterns are insanely short and time is never really a problem (contrary to the older ones). I don't think I would have done as well on the 2000s tests unless I had gotten slammed on some of the older examples.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:29 pm

tfer2222 wrote:Barbri's Essay questions are always harder than the actually released questions they have in the book (R-40, etc)

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I was wondering how their questions stack up to the real thing. I know the answers are totally over the top, but have no idea about the questions.

ben bernanke

New

Post by ben bernanke » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Has anyone read the "Answer Key" for the Breene and Frost PT?

The tone is so annoying, is that how we are supposed to actually write for "clients" on the bar? And parts of the legal analysis are just LOLbad. I dont think I could write like that if I tried... is this what the examiners are expecting? gd

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:48 pm

What do you all think about the drills sets at the beginning of the MPQ1 book?

I've done them as Barbri has assigned and did them on the day assigned to memorize the respective subject.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated because I spend all day trying to memorize a given subject, sit down and do the set, and I'm all over the place. Got a 10 on the Con law drill (11 was the benchmark - and con-law is probably one of my weaker subjects) 13 on Evidence, 15 on Crim Law (which was my lowest on the Midterm) and 11 on property (which was my highest on the midterm and been my strongest subject throughout prep).

Are others finding these to be easier side or tricky? There were a couple in that property set that had me all screwed up.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:59 pm

blong4133 wrote:What do you all think about the drills sets at the beginning of the MPQ1 book?

I've done them as Barbri has assigned and did them on the day assigned to memorize the respective subject.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated because I spend all day trying to memorize a given subject, sit down and do the set, and I'm all over the place. Got a 10 on the Con law drill (11 was the benchmark - and con-law is probably one of my weaker subjects) 13 on Evidence, 15 on Crim Law (which was my lowest on the Midterm) and 11 on property (which was my highest on the midterm and been my strongest subject throughout prep).

Are others finding these to be easier side or tricky? There were a couple in that property set that had me all screwed up.
I got between 12-14 right on each of the subjects, which is in line with how I did on both the simulated MBE and the simulated final. They didn't really track my relative strengths, though (e.g., I got my worst score on Contracts, typically my best subject). I seem to remember the questions feeling like they were of normal-ish difficulty.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Stinson wrote:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I was wondering how their questions stack up to the real thing. I know the answers are totally over the top, but have no idea about the questions.
i forgot to mention that i was referring to NY Barbri. Not sure if this is the case for other states (i think Barbri's Texas essays are all actual released questions)

remz

New

Post by remz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:46 am

This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone have an outline of NY Distinctions they're willing to share? Basically something that lists the just lists the NY distinctions for the MBE subjects. I know there's NY distinctions for each MBE subject in the CVR but it is super long. I'm just looking for an outline that condenses most of the important distinctions that were mentioned during the lectures. Thanks!

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:21 am

Just curious as to how others self-grade any practice essays they outline or write out. Sometimes I cover an area that the answer does not address (today I set up both a false imprisonment claim and a kidnapping claim to be thorough and the answer only addressed kidnapping) and don't know if that means I'd get no points on the real thing for it or if I'd receive some that would compensate/partially compensate for either missing something or not getting into the weeds enough on it.
It's difficult to judge where I'd fall points wise when I mention one thing that I'd assume is correct at the expense of something else.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:28 am

remz wrote:This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone have an outline of NY Distinctions they're willing to share? Basically something that lists the just lists the NY distinctions for the MBE subjects. I know there's NY distinctions for each MBE subject in the CVR but it is super long. I'm just looking for an outline that condenses most of the important distinctions that were mentioned during the lectures. Thanks!
The most important NY distinctions are already marked in the CMR with a star. If you focus just on those distinctions (which really aren't all that many), you would be in great shape on the NY portion.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Renee

New

Post by Renee » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:49 am

Did anyone take the last minute mini review and think it is useful? I think you have to pay extra for that but I am not sure it is worth it at this point.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Renee wrote:Did anyone take the last minute mini review and think it is useful? I think you have to pay extra for that but I am not sure it is worth it at this point.
I signed up for it. I'm a bit lost with some of the NY stuff, so I would love to know what the crucial NY points are, and how to best focus our time spent on the NY subjects.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:44 pm

How have people done on the half day exam in the MPQ2? I just took it today and I know it says the goal is 60% but I don't know at what timing that is (mainly, is that the average barbri student score from a month before the exam, because I only have two weeks left). I scored right around the goal.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:08 pm

Warning, rant ahead. No more big rants before the exam, I promise. I just want to make this one.

"In Commonwealth v. Dwyer, a 2006 case, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court revised the protocols governing the disclosure of all statutorily privileged records..."

Groan. Yeah, I remember when we covered that case in the lecture.

Geez Barbri, not even your ridiculously overbroad chart of mostly irrelevant, ass-covering, "We can say we gave you everything, except any guidance on what is important!" distinctions even mentions this. Of course, I wouldn't be worrying about it if Barbri provided, in its $4000 mountain of materials, more than a single, context-less ACTUAL MODEL ESSAY ANSWER. As in, an essay answer that:

1. Addresses a real or at least reasonable question
2. Gives an answer that is written under realistic conditions
3. Gives a level of explanation and knowledge of the law commensurate with that needed to score high on the essay, not the best that can possibly be done by a law professor writing with a treatise next to him and no time limits
4. Does not raise issues that are non-existent in the question just so it can knock them down, directly contravening instruction in the essay lecture
5. Does not literally quote state supreme court cases on non-major isssues

Seriously. You provided ONE model essay answer. The MA bar examiners only released that one? Fine. Write your own. Write a realistic model essay answer. This isn't rocket science. Don't drop a two-second footnote at the head of one of the lectures, "Oh yeah guys, these three paragraphs here are actually what you want half your entire bar exam to look like. So, you know, don't worry that LITERALLY ALL OUR MATERIALS DON'T LOOK DIFFERENT FROM THIS! No worries."

That Barbri dares to shill "supplemental" essay review towards the end of the course after providing shockingly little realistic guidance on essay testing throws in a nice dash of naked greed to go with the generally incompetent, fear-mongering approach to exam preparation. I hope Themis, notwithstanding all their i-pad hawking silliness, ruins your shit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Stinson wrote:Warning, rant ahead. No more big rants before the exam, I promise. I just want to make this one.

"In Commonwealth v. Dwyer, a 2006 case, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court revised the protocols governing the disclosure of all statutorily privileged records..."

Groan. Yeah, I remember when we covered that case in the lecture.

Geez Barbri, not even your ridiculously overbroad chart of mostly irrelevant, ass-covering, "We can say we gave you everything, except any guidance on what is important!" distinctions even mentions this. Of course, I wouldn't be worrying about it if Barbri provided, in its $4000 mountain of materials, more than a single, context-less ACTUAL MODEL ESSAY ANSWER. As in, an essay answer that:

1. Addresses a real or at least reasonable question
2. Gives an answer that is written under realistic conditions
3. Gives a level of explanation and knowledge of the law commensurate with that needed to score high on the essay, not the best that can possibly be done by a law professor writing with a treatise next to him and no time limits
4. Does not raise issues that are non-existent in the question just so it can knock them down, directly contravening instruction in the essay lecture
5. Does not literally quote state supreme court cases on non-major isssues

Seriously. You provided ONE model essay answer. The MA bar examiners only released that one? Fine. Write your own. Write a realistic model essay answer. This isn't rocket science. Don't drop a two-second footnote at the head of one of the lectures, "Oh yeah guys, these three paragraphs here are actually what you want half your entire bar exam to look like. So, you know, don't worry that LITERALLY ALL OUR MATERIALS DON'T LOOK DIFFERENT FROM THIS! No worries."

That Barbri dares to shill "supplemental" essay review towards the end of the course after providing shockingly little realistic guidance on essay testing throws in a nice dash of naked greed to go with the generally incompetent, fear-mongering approach to exam preparation. I hope Themis, notwithstanding all their i-pad hawking silliness, ruins your shit.
take a peak at crossover #4 question and model answer, let me know how that makes you feel :mrgreen: (but seriously, i feel u)

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:42 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:How have people done on the half day exam in the MPQ2? I just took it today and I know it says the goal is 60% but I don't know at what timing that is (mainly, is that the average barbri student score from a month before the exam, because I only have two weeks left). I scored right around the goal.
Scored 65

Rosebud523

New

Post by Rosebud523 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Renee wrote:Did anyone take the last minute mini review and think it is useful? I think you have to pay extra for that but I am not sure it is worth it at this point.

I paid for it and have it but I am not so sure I am going to watch it. The teacher is Rafael Guzman..that old guy that did the Pre and Post Simulated MBE videos. I personally think his voice is awful to listen to. Every time I even attempt to play it I turn it off after a few minutes. I also have so much stuff I have to do I don't know if i should really waste time on that. I wish the teacher was someone good like Chuck Shonholtz!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:49 pm

usuaggie wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:How have people done on the half day exam in the MPQ2? I just took it today and I know it says the goal is 60% but I don't know at what timing that is (mainly, is that the average barbri student score from a month before the exam, because I only have two weeks left). I scored right around the goal.
Scored 65
63 here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Is any1 else BOMBING the NY MC?

I was doubling up on videos, so I'm just getting around to them. Just got 10/22 on the New York practice MC set. WTF!? lol. I was in the 85th percentile on the simulated MBE.

cabartaker13

New

Post by cabartaker13 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:26 pm

I posted this separately... but I just noticed this thread....

Has anyone done the BARBRI Mini Review? (The 8 hour video covering Constitutional Law, Contracts, Crimes, Evidence, Real Property and Torts.)

If so, is it worth it? Is it helpful? Good idea for a final review for MBE?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Rosebud523 wrote:

I paid for it and have it but I am not so sure I am going to watch it. The teacher is Rafael Guzman..that old guy that did the Pre and Post Simulated MBE videos. I personally think his voice is awful to listen to. Every time I even attempt to play it I turn it off after a few minutes. I also have so much stuff I have to do I don't know if i should really waste time on that. I wish the teacher was someone good like Chuck Shonholtz!
Perpetuitayz!

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:31 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
Scored 65
63 here.
I got a 62. MPQ2 sets 1 and 2 were significantly easier.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”