BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bgdddymtty

Silver

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Post by bgdddymtty » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:25 am

BeenDidThat wrote:
traehekat wrote:
knickfan wrote:Can someone explain hearsay to me in plain english? I feel somewhat comfortable with the hearsay exceptions but I can't tell hearsay from non hearsay. I flag everything as hearsay.
Easiest way for me to keep it straight is to just look at the content of the statement and ask whether it matters if it is true or not in the context of the rest of the problem. If it looks like it is being offered for its truth, its hearsay. If it looks like it's being offered for some other reason, it's not hearsay.

"Dan killed your wife." to show that Dan actually killed your wife? Hearsay, because it's value depends on whether it is true or not.
"Dan killed your wife." to show adequate provocation for second murder? Not hearsay, because it's value doesn't depend on whether it is true or not, it's value is the effect on the listener and whether it would reasonably provoke him.
And to tack on (though the above is very good), I had this problem before, so the way I attack it is to ask: is the person offering it trying to get the jury/judge to believe what the out-of-court declarant said, or is the person offering it trying to get the jury/judge to believe that the out-of-court declarant said it? If the 2nd, non-hearsay.
One additional problem, though, for the purposes of the MBE, is that there are a bunch of statements that meet the general definition but are classified under the FRE as "nonhearsay" (e.g., statements by a criminal defendant). There's nothing you can do there but memorize the rules (and use process of elimination).

gonezo77

New

Post by gonezo77 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:46 am

blong4133 wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Ugh. I could use commercial paper help if possible:

And your last question - Presentment warranty arises any time a check that is not payable for whatever reason (either forged indorsement, alteration, person isn't entitled to enforce it, etc.) is presented to it. Presentment warranty is only between the drawee bank and the the person or bank presenting the check to it for payment.

I hope this helps. It's complicated to explain. haha I hope it makes sense.
This last statement, and another statement in your response highlighting the same fact, is, I believe, wrong. A drawee bank can sue not only the actual presenting bank or party on presentment warranties but also anyone down the chain who violated the presentment warranties (signatures are authorized, etc . . . ). Then, whoever got sued on the presentment warranty will sue back up the chain on transfer warranties until you reach the point of the person of ultimate culpability, usually "the thief."

The quote below expresses this concept.

"If an unaccepted draft is presented to the drawee for payment or acceptance and the drawee pays or accepts the draft, the person obtaining payment or acceptance, at the time of presentment, and a previous transferor of the draft, at the time of transfer, make the following warranties to the drawee that pays or accepts the draft in good faith"

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:11 am

gonezo77 wrote:
blong4133 wrote:

And your last question - Presentment warranty arises any time a check that is not payable for whatever reason (either forged indorsement, alteration, person isn't entitled to enforce it, etc.) is presented to it. Presentment warranty is only between the drawee bank and the the person or bank presenting the check to it for payment.

This last statement, and another statement in your response highlighting the same fact, is, I believe, wrong. A drawee bank can sue not only the actual presenting bank or party on presentment warranties but also anyone down the chain who violated the presentment warranties (signatures are authorized, etc . . . ). Then, whoever got sued on the presentment warranty will sue back up the chain on transfer warranties until you reach the point of the person of ultimate culpability, usually "the thief."

"If an unaccepted draft is presented to the drawee for payment or acceptance and the drawee pays or accepts the draft, the person obtaining payment or acceptance, at the time of presentment, and a previous transferor of the draft, at the time of transfer, make the following warranties to the drawee that pays or accepts the draft in good faith"
The above is 100% correct. The depository bank, makes a presentment warranty to the drawee bank (i.e., it is entitled to enforce, no alterations, etc.). The drawee bank, and ONLY the drawee bank, may sue the depository bank and ANY prior transferor for breach of presentment warranty. So basically, once the depository bank makes the presentment warranty, everyone else who transferred the instrument does as well.

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:41 am

The "ask a barbri rep a question" link is gone from my enrolled student center. Barbri has ditched us :?

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:46 am

rnf1292 wrote:The "ask a barbri rep a question" link is gone from my enrolled student center. Barbri has ditched us :?
I never had this haha. Could you ask law questions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:54 am

BCLS wrote:
rnf1292 wrote:The "ask a barbri rep a question" link is gone from my enrolled student center. Barbri has ditched us :?
Yes haha they call/email you back about all substantive questions

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:55 am

Property q: is "O to A and heirs" a fee tail? Or does fee tail always have to say "to A and heirs of his body"

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:57 am

rnf1292 wrote:Property q: is "O to A and heirs" a fee tail? Or does fee tail always have to say "to A and heirs of his body"
This will always be interpreted today as a Fee Simple Absolute.

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:58 am

gonezo77 wrote:
blong4133 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification there; you're 100% right on that. I was mistaken as to this concept apparently. Sorry if I confused anyone! :/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:00 pm

rnf1292 wrote:
BCLS wrote:
Yes haha they call/email you back about all substantive questions
you gotta be kidding me..would have been nice to have this.

acsd87

New

Post by acsd87 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:05 pm

HOLY SHIT I UNDERSTAND THE SECURITY POLICY NY BAR EXAMINERS PLEASE STOP EMAILING IT TO ME LOL THANKS.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Just finished the NCBE MBE first set of 100. Got a score pretty much in line with my average of the MPQ2 mixed set. I guess thats good as long as it really is representative of the real MBE. The answers are worded differently than barbri, so that took some adjusting to. Not sure whether its worth the time to do the next two.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:08 pm

moandersen wrote:Just finished the NCBE MBE first set of 100. Got a score pretty much in line with my average of the MPQ2 mixed set. I guess thats good as long as it really is representative of the real MBE. The answers are worded differently than barbri, so that took some adjusting to. Not sure whether its worth the time to do the next two.
prob not worth it at this point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:19 pm

BCLS wrote:
moandersen wrote:Just finished the NCBE MBE first set of 100. Got a score pretty much in line with my average of the MPQ2 mixed set. I guess thats good as long as it really is representative of the real MBE. The answers are worded differently than barbri, so that took some adjusting to. Not sure whether its worth the time to do the next two.
How do those ones compare to the free one that they offer on the website? I just can't bring myself to spend 50 bucks on 100 questions.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:23 pm

At this point I feel like I know the rules for secured transactions and commercial paper, but now looking at the essays I realize I have no idea how the concepts work once they're in motion. So if there's a question about this I think I'm going to just write out all the definitions, throw in the people's names, and hope for the best.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Stinson wrote:At this point I feel like I know the rules for secured transactions and commercial paper, but now looking at the essays I realize I have no idea how the concepts work once they're in motion. So if there's a question about this I think I'm going to just write out all the definitions, throw in the people's names, and hope for the best.
I know. The only way I was able to teach myself these topics was to do at least one commercial paper/secured MEE essay per day. I learned by doing. Otherwise there is really no way to see the relatedness of the concepts. They just appear so abstract until you see it in practice.

jockinjay-z

New

Post by jockinjay-z » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:44 pm

Anybody do a sample 3hr MEE yet? Just did one and I thought I did well....however turns out I got rocked once I did the point checklist at the back of the book. God I hope this thing is curved and everyone else is close to me in the same boat or else...:-/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:04 pm

BCLS wrote:
Youre probably right. I hate studying for the essays though...

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:09 pm

moandersen wrote:
BCLS wrote:
Youre probably right. I hate studying for the essays though...
I know same here! I feel like every time I do an essay there is at least something I miss.

ninereal

New

Post by ninereal » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:25 pm

Evidence Essay #1 because I have not done enough evidence essays.

Subpart 2: why the fuck is this not admission by a party opponent? Model answer only has excited utterance, which might apply, but I see no reason whatsoever why it wouldn't be a party opponent admission. Also, I'm not even sure excited utterance applies because there seems to have been a good amount of time between the accident and the statement.

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:45 pm

I just did the 100Q NCBEX Practice Exam 2 and got a 174. I have no idea about what any of the scaling means. Can someone just tell me if I'm in good shape?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ninereal

New

Post by ninereal » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:49 pm

PitchO20 wrote:I just did the 100Q NCBEX Practice Exam 2 and got a 174. I have no idea about what any of the scaling means. Can someone just tell me if I'm in good shape?
you're in good shape

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:49 pm

PitchO20 wrote:I just did the 100Q NCBEX Practice Exam 2 and got a 174. I have no idea about what any of the scaling means. Can someone just tell me if I'm in good shape?
174 means you got something around 85/100 right. Take a guess as to what kind of shape you are in.

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks. Sorry for gunnerness, I legitimately can't find where it tells me in the report how many I got right or wrong.

Well, fuck studying for the MBE. Guess it's time to finally learn sec trans, comm paper, and the other shit topics.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:54 pm

PitchO20 wrote:Thanks. Sorry for gunnerness, I legitimately can't find where it tells me in the report how many I got right or wrong.

Well, fuck studying for the MBE. Guess it's time to finally learn sec trans, comm paper, and the other shit topics.
Same. Did the NCBE tests and averaged 166 between the 3, and then said screw MBE. But then I realized how much NY shit I don't know when I started drilling the essays. Just trying to scratch together as many points as I can by using this chart to hit the most-tested subtopics within:

http://www.smartbarprep.com/SmartBarPre ... alysis.pdf

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”