BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bgdddymtty

Silver

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Post by bgdddymtty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:44 pm

BCLS wrote:Can anyone explain Contract Set 5 # 15? I can't wrap my head around this one. How is the K not unilateral when the contractor used the bid?
First things first: the eventual contract for the plumbing work will be bilateral, not unilateral. It's not going to be a case where the contractor simply tells the plumber that if he happens to show up and complete the work, the contractor will play him. The contractor will need more certainty than that, so both he and the plumber will contract to perform--the plumber working, the contractor paying. Unlike in a unilateral contract setting, the plumber won't have the option of just not showing up or of starting the work and then stopping.

What is unilateral is the contractor's option to accept the plumber's bid. Normally, an offer can be rescinded at any time, but in the case of contracting that would be unworkable. When a potential subcontractor sends in a bid to a potential general contractor, the sub knows that the GC has to rely on the sub's bid in making his own bid. Thus, even though the GC doesn't pay consideration, he gets an option to accept within a reasonable time after the bid process is complete.

In this case, the contractor had not yet exercised his option, and his statement that he would just forget that the plumber had ever submitted the bid operated to rescind the option contract.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:50 pm

5ky wrote:
BCLS wrote:Can anyone explain Contract Set 5 # 15? I can't wrap my head around this one. How is the K not unilateral when the contractor used the bid?
I'm not sure I understand your question. Doesn't the explanation say that the bid was a unilateral contract? I missed this one, but that was because I didn't have any idea of what had to support a rescission of a unilateral K.
Yeah same here- I guess my mistake was assuming it was a bilateral K.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:55 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:Nor did they give it to everyone. Last year they gave it to people paying by March 1 but this year my firm paid my bill by then and I didn't get it free...even though they gave it free last year to people at my firm when paid by Mar 1. It seems to be some specific incentive they send out to encourage prompt payment.
The email you probably got (and promptly deleted) every few weeks starting in January with the subject line "It's Time to Complete Your BARBRI Enrollment" contained a blurb that states the following:

"START STUDYING NOW
Pay in full by March 1 to receive early access to BARBRI AMP, multistate lectures, as well as complimentary access to Multistate Edge online software with over 2,900 additional MBE questions."

Barbri apparently had some sort of screw-up where everyone enrolled by March 1 was supposed to automatically get an email with Multistate Edge login instructions, but many people (myself included) did not receive it. I had to call Barbri customer service and have them set me up. Once I called, the email from Multistate Edge with the order confirmation/login information came almost immediately.

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:58 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:Nor did they give it to everyone. Last year they gave it to people paying by March 1 but this year my firm paid my bill by then and I didn't get it free...even though they gave it free last year to people at my firm when paid by Mar 1. It seems to be some specific incentive they send out to encourage prompt payment.
The email you probably got (and promptly deleted) every few weeks starting in January with the subject line "It's Time to Complete Your BARBRI Enrollment" contained a blurb that states the following:

"START STUDYING NOW
Pay in full by March 1 to receive early access to BARBRI AMP, multistate lectures, as well as complimentary access to Multistate Edge online software with over 2,900 additional MBE questions."

Barbri apparently had some sort of screw-up where everyone enrolled by March 1 was supposed to automatically get an email with Multistate Edge login instructions, but many people (myself included) did not receive it. I had to call Barbri customer service and have them set me up. Once I called, the email from Multistate Edge with the order confirmation/login information came almost immediately.
Weird, because when I called I was told I wasn't eligible.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Are Set 6 Q's supposed to be easier than Set 5? On torts set 5, I got 22/36, but I just did a 12 Q portion of Set 6, and got 11 right. I know Set 6 isn't assigned until later, but was curious if anyone has done some yet, and whether they found them easier.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:03 pm

kaiser wrote:Are Set 6 Q's supposed to be easier than Set 5? On torts set 5, I got 22/36, but I just did a 12 Q portion of Set 6, and got 11 right. I know Set 6 isn't assigned until later, but was curious if anyone has done some yet, and whether they found them easier.
I'd be careful judging off only portions of the set. I have gone 15 straight right on some and then hit a streak of 5 ridiculous ones.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:05 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:

"START STUDYING NOW

When did you have them take care of this? I'm def interested in an MBE supplemental program, and was thinking about Adaptibar, but if we have Multistate Edge included, then might as well use it.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

"START STUDYING NOW

And did they tell you why?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:15 pm

kaiser wrote:When did you have them take care of this? I'm def interested in an MBE supplemental program, and was thinking about Adaptibar, but if we have Multistate Edge included, then might as well use it.
March 15

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:18 pm

FYI multistate edge repeats tons of questions from the sets. I think they almost all are identical

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:20 pm

kaiser wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

"START STUDYING NOW

And did they tell you why?
Nope, confirmed my payment was before Mar 1 but said I wasn't eligible. I didn't press that hard because I kept hearing the questions were such repeats as to make them worthless additional practice and to destroy your ability to evaluate your progress on assigned sets (since you'd seen the questions before).

That and I figured out my firm would pay for Adaptibar in lieu of the essay advantage add-on.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:07 pm

A few days ago, I had signed up for a free trial demo of Multistate Edge (obviously not realizing the BarBri connection at the time). Hadn't gotten a chance to log into it yet. So I just assumed my membership was limited to the demo. I wrote an email a few minutes ago to Multistate Edge, saying that I paid up with BarBri on time and that I should have complimentary access. Just got an email back with the exact login credentials from my free demo confirmation email.

Now, I log into Multistate Edge and have complete access to all the Q's. I'm not sure if the guy on their end just opened up this access to me, or whether, had I used my free trial login, it would have somehow known that I was entitled to an account. Either way, I'd suggest you guys who were paid up on time try the free demo, and see if it sets you up with all the Q's. If not, just shoot an email to the Multistate Edge folks.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Question for the Barbri people who've had the Civ Pro lecture stream with Frier.

Does anyone know when he first did that lecture? He lists a bunch of topics at the end which he thinks are fair game for the exam at the end of the program when that lecture was first given.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AMCD

Bronze

Post by AMCD » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:17 pm

Good question b/c he also said that the max. for small claims is $7,500. Isn't it 10K now generally so don't think it was particularly current. He did specify a few times things were tested 2011, so must at least be the winter 2012 recording?

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:21 pm

AMCD wrote:Good question b/c he also said that the max. for small claims is $7,500. Isn't it 10K now generally so don't think it was particularly current. He did specify a few times things were tested 2011, so must at least be the winter 2012 recording?
The dollar cut off is state specific. So are the lectures...so some are probably newer than others.

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:34 pm

AMCD wrote:Good question b/c he also said that the max. for small claims is $7,500. Isn't it 10K now generally so don't think it was particularly current. He did specify a few times things were tested 2011, so must at least be the winter 2012 recording?
You guys are referring to CA, right? If so, he kept referring to how CA Civ Pro was an eligible essay topic since 2007 "but they haven't tested it in five years," so 2012 is probably right.

AMCD

Bronze

Post by AMCD » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Yes, that's right.

BTW, can anyone tell me what what the types of classes are for class actions in California. It was top of lecture handout pg. 62 where it said Fed. has three, but state court has.........
Thanks so much if anyone can fill in the blank. He spoke way too quickly for me to keep up!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:33 pm

So I'm guessing CA people are likely not going to get tested on CA civ pro stuff? So little time to learn it all!

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:54 pm

AMCD wrote:Yes, that's right.

BTW, can anyone tell me what what the types of classes are for class actions in California. It was top of lecture handout pg. 62 where it said Fed. has three, but state court has.........
Thanks so much if anyone can fill in the blank. He spoke way too quickly for me to keep up!
One - there are no separate types in CA.
zeth006 wrote:So I'm guessing CA people are likely not going to get tested on CA civ pro stuff? So little time to learn it all!
Here's to hoping! And let's also dodge any CA Evidence, k?

AMCD

Bronze

Post by AMCD » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:07 am

Thank you Nevdash, now I can print that wretched outline off!

Hey, anyone see the bar guru's predictions for the July 2013 essays. He was 5 out of 6 right for February! If anyone wants me to post his predictions I will, but they are depressing, so don't want to do it in case it might push anyone over the edge!!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:43 am

AMCD wrote:Thank you Nevdash, now I can print that wretched outline off!

Hey, anyone see the bar guru's predictions for the July 2013 essays. He was 5 out of 6 right for February! If anyone wants me to post his predictions I will, but they are depressing, so don't want to do it in case it might push anyone over the edge!!
Why not? I'm sure it might help someone. We've got a few weeks left, might as well use our time well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:17 am

Dooo eeeeet

NWI Lawyer 13

New

Post by NWI Lawyer 13 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:36 am

I was just wondering what the consensus is on this. For state specific stuff, Barbri assigns reading out of the big state outline book. However, it seems that the handouts sufficiently, and more succinctly, cover those areas. I am taking the Indiana bar and I know this question may depend on which state you are taking the bar in; however, I just wanted to get some general thoughts as to whether it is necessary to read the big state outline before the lecture?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:53 am

NWI Lawyer 13 wrote:I was just wondering what the consensus is on this. For state specific stuff, Barbri assigns reading out of the big state outline book. However, it seems that the handouts sufficiently, and more succinctly, cover those areas. I am taking the Indiana bar and I know this question may depend on which state you are taking the bar in; however, I just wanted to get some general thoughts as to whether it is necessary to read the big state outline before the lecture?
I would never, ever do that. It would take forever, and I can't imagine you'd get much more out of it than from the lecture handout.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:45 am

stratocophic wrote:

Dooo eeeeet
Yeah, link to the predictions? I can't find em.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”