BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jawsthegreat

Silver

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Post by jawsthegreat » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:14 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Question for anyone in NY that did Essay R-19:

On the third issue (summary judgment), I thought the issue was whether the suit is barred by no-fault insurance (i.e., Paul can only bring suit if you suffer serious injury or damages in excess of basic economic loss), not whether Paul has stated a negligence claim (as indicated in the model answer). Can anyone explain why I'm wrong (or, agree with me that Barbri is wrong)?
That one sort of threw me as well. The only thing I could think of is that a driver can bring a suit against another driver, it's the passengers and pedestrians that are barred from suing for negligence unless it exceeds the thresholds.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:16 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:

On the third issue (summary judgment), I thought the issue was whether the suit is barred by no-fault insurance (i.e., Paul can only bring suit if you suffer serious injury or damages in excess of basic economic loss), not whether Paul has stated a negligence claim (as indicated in the model answer). Can anyone explain why I'm wrong (or, agree with me that Barbri is wrong)?
That one sort of threw me as well. The only thing I could think of is that a driver can bring a suit against another driver, it's the passengers and pedestrians that are barred from suing for negligence unless it exceeds the thresholds.
I think its a pretty safe bet to say that, unless it is blatantly a no-fault issue, don't even bother with it. And no-fault has come up on 5 essays out of 182 possible ones, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Matteliszt wrote:NY Takers: This is a real off topic question, but how do they choose the attorney for the "uninterested attorney" requirement for conflicts checks? Can I just nominate Tfer2222?
lol is this a serious question. if it is, i don't know the answer. or the even understand the question really.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:19 pm

Wow. Just took my first NCBE exam, #3. That was much harder than I expected. The fact patterns are markedly different, and random bits of knowledge were tested in ways I've never encountered in a Barbri question. Quite honestly, I'm disappointed that Barbri's questions are not a very good representation of what I just saw.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Anybody know of any cool wednesday-night bars in Buffalo?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:23 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
Matteliszt wrote:NY Takers: This is a real off topic question, but how do they choose the attorney for the "uninterested attorney" requirement for conflicts checks? Can I just nominate Tfer2222?
lol is this a serious question. if it is, i don't know the answer. or the even understand the question really.

Not serious really - I just did some essay on conflicts of interests and apparently you can accept a case that's a conflict if (1) a disinterested attorney would the lawyer can competently represent the clients' interests and (2) the client consents after fully disclosure of the potential conflict. When I read that I thought "this is stupid, why wouldn't just get someone to be like oh yeah no conflict, he's good" every time. Obviously the court must appoint someone you don't know or something.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Matteliszt wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:
Not serious really - I just did some essay on conflicts of interests and apparently you can accept a case that's a conflict if (1) a disinterested attorney would the lawyer can competently represent the clients' interests and (2) the client consents after fully disclosure of the potential conflict. When I read that I thought "this is stupid, why wouldn't just get someone to be like oh yeah no conflict, he's good" every time. Obviously the court must appoint someone you don't know or something.

ahhhh yes i forgot about that stuff. yikes. maybe i should review PR.

i think its just a reasonable attorney standard though. no need to actually get someone to come sign off on it.

in any event I accept your nomination.

conwaystern

New

Post by conwaystern » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:27 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Wow. Just took my first NCBE exam, #3. That was much harder than I expected. The fact patterns are markedly different, and random bits of knowledge were tested in ways I've never encountered in a Barbri question. Quite honestly, I'm disappointed that Barbri's questions are not a very good representation of what I just saw.
I found the NCBE exam markedly easier than the Barbri questions. The Barbri questions added tons of fine points and other fact-modifying answer choices. Like I said in an earlier thing -- one of the videos with Guzman basically said "underline everything after the word 'if' and re-read the question"

There wasn't a single "if" modifier on the practice test, and I read online that the MBE did away with "if" answer choices years ago.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:35 pm

The thing all of you guys need to remember when comparing Barbri to NCBEX is that Barbri is designed to teach you something and the NCBEX questions are designed to test you on something. The NCBEX answer stems are not tricky, if you know the rule you apply the rule and get the answer correct. If you don't know the rule you kind of take a 3 pointer on the rule and hope. the Barbri questions by contrast are designed to test specific nuances to teach you a principle behind them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:39 pm

Matteliszt wrote:The thing all of you guys need to remember when comparing Barbri to NCBEX is that Barbri is designed to teach you something and the NCBEX questions are designed to test you on something. The NCBEX answer stems are not tricky, if you know the rule you apply the rule and get the answer correct. If you don't know the rule you kind of take a 3 pointer on the rule and hope. the Barbri questions by contrast are designed to test specific nuances to teach you a principle behind them.
This is giving way too much credit to barbri. The barbri questions are designed to freak you out into studying so their pass-rate stays up and you tell your friends how hard studying was and how much the course helped.

What makes many of the barbri questions difficult is not the concept they are teaching...its the shitty wording and assumptions required to get the answer they want.

jc1988

Bronze

Post by jc1988 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:09 pm

guys a bit confusion:
so the SOL for breach of express warranty under UCC: is it 3 or 4 years after delivery?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:13 pm

jc1988 wrote:guys a bit confusion:
so the SOL for breach of express warranty under UCC: is it 3 or 4 years after delivery?
4 years

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:14 pm

jc1988 wrote:guys a bit confusion:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jc1988

Bronze

Post by jc1988 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:16 pm

thanks guys, essay answer for one of the released questions says 3 years. really confused

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:32 pm

jc1988 wrote:thanks guys, essay answer for one of the released questions says 3 years. really confused
It's four years by default but can be modified by the warranty itself. If the warranty says it's only good for three years, the statute of limitations is also three years (e.g.).

I'm not sure if it can be increased beyond four years; probably not.
Last edited by BenJ on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:34 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:

I just did this and was confused as well.

(Warning, Spoilers if you haven't done this essay)
I looked it up in the CMR. A lawsuit is permitted between a covered person and a non covered person for all damages including basic economic loss and pain and suffering (even in the absence of serious injury). However, the insurer has a lien against recovery for all first party benefits paid or payable by it to a covered person.

So, Dan was an "uncovered person" because he had State X insurance (AutoCo) and therefore would not have No Fault Insurance. Paul can therefore sue him because an insured may sue an uninsured and recover for anything, but the No Fault company has a lien on the damages award.

That's how i understand it anyway.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:38 pm

the feb 2013 essays seem so easy, for the most part. why did they get all the easy issues. the RAP question was a joke.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:51 pm

BenJ wrote:
jc1988 wrote:thanks guys, essay answer for one of the released questions says 3 years. really confused
It's four years by default but can be modified by the warranty itself. If the warranty says it's only good for three years, the statute of limitations is also three years (e.g.).

I'm not sure if it can be increased beyond four years; probably not.
You can't lengthen beyond 4 years or decrease below 1 year.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:53 pm

tfer2222 wrote:the feb 2013 essays seem so easy, for the most part. why did they get all the easy issues. the RAP question was a joke.

Dude look at July 2012, it's pretty much the same thing if not easier. There are a few NY distinctions that are pretty critical but the essays are straightforward. I hope ours are as straightforward.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Matteliszt wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:the feb 2013 essays seem so easy, for the most part. why did they get all the easy issues. the RAP question was a joke.

Dude look at July 2012, it's pretty much the same thing if not easier. There are a few NY distinctions that are pretty critical but the essays are straightforward. I hope ours are as straightforward.
+1 to that

The only time I get really tripped up with the essays is when I misunderstand or misinterpret the factual situation, and then apply the wrong law. Usually leads to an analysis that clearly feels off to me. Here's hoping it is straightforward, that the issues literally jump out of the page and bite us.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:23 pm

For those of you who can see "median" graded essays -- can you confirm that those essays are dogshit? I feel like a friggin' idiot trying to do these essays and looking at the analysis.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Matteliszt wrote:

Where can if I find these?

=[

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:35 pm

phonepro wrote:
Matteliszt wrote:

Where can if I find these?

=[
http://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions/ ... stions.htm

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:47 pm

Can an oral restrictive covenant on land ever be enforceable? i.e. you sell someone a piece of land on the condition that they only use it for residential purposes but this is not stated anywhere in the deed?

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:48 pm

rnf1292 wrote:Can an oral restrictive covenant on land ever be enforceable? i.e. you sell someone a piece of land on the condition that they only use it for residential purposes but this is not stated anywhere in the deed?

off the top of my head:

real covenants must be written promises.

whether or not its in the DEED will mostly just affect whether or not the burden/benefit runs to successors

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”