help with my classes?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
swtlilsoni

help with my classes?

Postby swtlilsoni » Wed May 29, 2013 1:36 am

I'm a 1L choosing classes for next year and here is what I have:

My goals: I want a biglaw firm job; I would love a clerkship but my grades for first semester suck so I'm not sure if I have a chance, but if I do I would definitely try for one. I have no idea whether I want to do litigation or transactional stuff so I just want to try everything out and see what I like

Fall:
Professional Responsibility
Evidence
Corporations
Philosophers of Law (basically a course that covers different philosophers and their legal theories)
***note: is the philosophy class okay? I keep hearing that it is looked down upon to take law & _ courses..but first off I don't understand why because those courses are not easy, they are pretty intensive and go in depth. Second, since I have Evidence and Corporations would it balance it out and not be a big deal if I took a "fluff" course? Or does every single course I take have to be a core course?

Spring:
Tax 1

So basically I want to try and get an externship for the spring. But other than that, I'm not sure which classes to take. Some that interested me are: Trial Practice (basically a class where you do a bunch of mock trials and stuff), Litigation Theory and Practice, Intensive Global Health Law (where we actually work with some organization and do problem-solving work), Capital Punishment Seminar, Decedent's Estates, I'm open to other suggestions.

Bronck

Re: help with my classes?

Postby Bronck » Wed May 29, 2013 1:47 am

I think you're overthinking this.

guano

Postby guano » Wed May 29, 2013 1:53 am

Bronck wrote:I think you're overthinking this.

This

But, if you are concerned, think about what classes signal:
Corporations - useful for transactional
Evidence - useful for litigations
Professional responsibility - duh
Philosophers and law - academia? (or, even worse: more interested in philosophy than law)

It's frowned upon because its not a practical class. Save it for when you've got a job

jess

Postby jess » Wed May 29, 2013 2:36 am

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”