help with my classes?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
swtlilsoni

help with my classes?

Postby swtlilsoni » Wed May 29, 2013 1:36 am

I'm a 1L choosing classes for next year and here is what I have:

My goals: I want a biglaw firm job; I would love a clerkship but my grades for first semester suck so I'm not sure if I have a chance, but if I do I would definitely try for one. I have no idea whether I want to do litigation or transactional stuff so I just want to try everything out and see what I like

Fall:
Professional Responsibility
Evidence
Corporations
Philosophers of Law (basically a course that covers different philosophers and their legal theories)
***note: is the philosophy class okay? I keep hearing that it is looked down upon to take law & _ courses..but first off I don't understand why because those courses are not easy, they are pretty intensive and go in depth. Second, since I have Evidence and Corporations would it balance it out and not be a big deal if I took a "fluff" course? Or does every single course I take have to be a core course?

Spring:
Tax 1

So basically I want to try and get an externship for the spring. But other than that, I'm not sure which classes to take. Some that interested me are: Trial Practice (basically a class where you do a bunch of mock trials and stuff), Litigation Theory and Practice, Intensive Global Health Law (where we actually work with some organization and do problem-solving work), Capital Punishment Seminar, Decedent's Estates, I'm open to other suggestions.

Bronck

Re: help with my classes?

Postby Bronck » Wed May 29, 2013 1:47 am

I think you're overthinking this.

guano

Postby guano » Wed May 29, 2013 1:53 am

Bronck wrote:I think you're overthinking this.

This

But, if you are concerned, think about what classes signal:
Corporations - useful for transactional
Evidence - useful for litigations
Professional responsibility - duh
Philosophers and law - academia? (or, even worse: more interested in philosophy than law)

It's frowned upon because its not a practical class. Save it for when you've got a job

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed May 29, 2013 2:36 am

guano wrote:
Bronck wrote:I think you're overthinking this.

This

But, if you are concerned, think about what classes signal:
Corporations - useful for transactional
Evidence - useful for litigations
Professional responsibility - duh
Philosophers and law - academia? (or, even worse: more interested in philosophy than law)

It's frowned upon because its not a practical class. Save it for when you've got a job

Yeah, trust this guy. He knows the most about upper level classes.

Don't take PR until third year. Take another joke seminar in the fall.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”