Anyone here attending law school only for their JD?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Summerz

Anyone here attending law school only for their JD?

Postby Summerz » Tue May 28, 2013 11:18 am

Anyone here attending law school only for their JD? I figure the odds are slim but I guessed that those on this web site during the day are not doing anything with a firm, SA, intern or otherwise. So I am giving it a shot and see how you are handling the next several weeks of having very little to do or are you taking this time to prep for the bar?

As a side note, of the four OCI recruiters I met with none would consider me since I made it clear where I was going after the bar. I’ll assume your OCI outcome was the same, or was it?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Anyone here attending law school only for their JD?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 pm

What does this mean? Why else would you attend law school except to get a JD?

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Given the huge cost of law school, I doubt there are very many grads who don't plan to take one bar or another. It was more common in the distant past, though. LL.B.s (for that is what they usually were) often went into banking, finance, or insurance where a law license was unnecessary. These days such students would more likely seek a top notch M.B.A. than a law degree.

Peyton

Postby Peyton » Tue May 28, 2013 1:59 pm

If what you are saying is that after you receive your JD (and pass the bar) you have a job lined up, I am in the same situation. Going to work for the family firm (fewer than 10 attorneys). So yes, a JD is why I am here.

I am doing an SA from home, but I do drop by the firm every other week (slightly over an hour drive). We’re still figuring out exactly what an SA is supposed to (other than read and write memos). Less than a half dozen cohorts from my school share the same situation. A couple did receive an SA from OCI firms (not sure how they pulled it off since they will ultimately be practicing with their family). I’ve heard from a few SAs, some seem to like it, but not everyone. One called it The Hunger Games via cubicles.

Maybe a few others might chime in. . . I doubt of any of the usual 300 people who are signed on to this site between 9A-5P are working or are SAs, interns, etc.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue May 28, 2013 2:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:What does this mean? Why else would you attend law school except to get a JD?

Meet other alcoholics without having to go through that 12-step crap?

lolfranks51

Postby lolfranks51 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Summerz wrote:As a side note, of the four OCI recruiters I met with none would consider me since I made it clear where I was going after the bar. I’ll assume your OCI outcome was the same, or was it?

Where are you headed after law school?

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Summerz wrote:Anyone here attending law school only for their JD? I figure the odds are slim but I guessed that those on this web site during the day are not doing anything with a firm, SA, intern or otherwise. So I am giving it a shot and see how you are handling the next several weeks of having very little to do or are you taking this time to prep for the bar?

As a side note, of the four OCI recruiters I met with none would consider me since I made it clear where I was going after the bar. I’ll assume your OCI outcome was the same, or was it?

You need to learn to lie broseph.

Summerz

Postby Summerz » Tue May 28, 2013 7:00 pm

lolfranks51 wrote:
Summerz wrote:As a side note, of the four OCI recruiters I met with none would consider me since I made it clear where I was going after the bar. I’ll assume your OCI outcome was the same, or was it?

Where are you headed after law school?

I will be headed to my uncle’s firm, where two of my cousins also work. The bridge to that opportunity is the JD. I know a few others who are at law school for basically the same reason, secure a JD and then admission to the bar. What I suspect we miss is exposure to other law firms through OCI or other avenues. I just wondering how they are coping with that impasse, or if they feel it even matters.

As someone said, perhaps jokingly (or not), why didn’t I just mislead the recruiters. A couple recruiters made it clear I was wasting their time and a couple others alluded to the shortcomings of working at a family firm (mainly independence… how am I any more independent by having to sing for my supper at someone elses firm).

I'd be interested to hear from anyone heading to a family firm who picked up an SA along the way. What's it like?

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Tue May 28, 2013 7:37 pm

Summerz wrote:Anyone here attending law school only for their JD?
What a bizarrely unclear way of asking your intended question.

ninereal

Postby ninereal » Wed May 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Shit, I was here for my MD. Does that not work?

Peyton

Postby Peyton » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Summerz wrote:I'd be interested to hear from anyone heading to a family firm who picked up an SA along the way. What's it like?

I just spoke to a friend today who is physically doing her SA at the family firm. She is there four days a week, 9A-5P. She said it was kind of weird because no one actually knows exactly what to do with her. I know the feeling (even though I mainly SA from my apt). Other than researching a few cases and offering an opinion, there’s not much to it. I am tempted to start practicing for the bar after I take a vacation. How about you?

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Why would you limit yourself to the family firm? Why not use your summers to experience life elsewhere?

Peyton

Postby Peyton » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:34 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:Why would you limit yourself to the family firm? Why not use your summers to experience life elsewhere?

Great idea but tough to do. Tell the recruiter that you’d like $3K a week for shuffling papers but at the end of day you will be giving the firm your version of a “no offer.”

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:23 am

Peyton wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:Why would you limit yourself to the family firm? Why not use your summers to experience life elsewhere?

Great idea but tough to do. Tell the recruiter that you’d like $3K a week for shuffling papers but at the end of day you will be giving the firm your version of a “no offer.”

I guess I just don't understand how you can make up your mind to work at the family firm without even experiencing other firms. You may be missing out.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”