Should I do Law Review?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
coldshoulder

Should I do Law Review?

Postby coldshoulder » Sun May 26, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm planning on working for a small firm or going solo, probably LL/T, family law, some criminal, etc. I've got the grades and could most likely write-on, but is it worth all the work?

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun May 26, 2013 4:18 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Re: Should I do Law Review?

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun May 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Either flame or clueless.

Yes, do LR, always.

jwaters92

Postby jwaters92 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:38 pm

deleted

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun May 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Since it sounds like you're not going the clerkship/federal government/big law route, it's probably not as important. But one of those small firms just might care. There are people that opt out of law review, but I wouldn't have the balls for it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Bronte wrote:Since it sounds like you're not going the clerkship/federal government/big law route, it's probably not as important. But one of those small firms just might care. There are people that opt out of law review, but I wouldn't have the balls for it.

+1

lawyerdown27

Postby lawyerdown27 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:13 pm

coldshoulder wrote:I'm planning on working for a small firm or going solo, probably LL/T, family law, some criminal, etc. I've got the grades and could most likely write-on, but is it worth all the work?

Is anything stopping you from doing the write-on other than your desire not to do the write-on? I wish I could tell you that you will be able to sleep easy knowing that you could have done LR but didn't try, but only you can make yourself comfortable with that decision.

Hedge your bets. Do the write-on.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon May 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Law review is the worst thing in the world. I despised every second I spent working on it while sober and come as close to regretting doing it as is possible. You're in a bit of a bind in that NOT doing law review, if other things on your resume make it clear you should have been able to, is going to send negative signals to at least some potential employers. And why do that ITE?

xiamay

Postby xiamay » Mon May 27, 2013 6:49 pm

thesealocust wrote:Law review is the worst thing in the world. I despised every second I spent working on it while sober and come as close to regretting doing it as is possible. You're in a bit of a bind in that NOT doing law review, if other things on your resume make it clear you should have been able to, is going to send negative signals to at least some potential employers. And why do that ITE?

Ugh, i'm trying to finish my crappy submission now and have absolutely no motivation. Will it look really bad to employers if you tried to writeon and you don't get onto LR or any journals?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon May 27, 2013 6:55 pm

xiamay wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Law review is the worst thing in the world. I despised every second I spent working on it while sober and come as close to regretting doing it as is possible. You're in a bit of a bind in that NOT doing law review, if other things on your resume make it clear you should have been able to, is going to send negative signals to at least some potential employers. And why do that ITE?

Ugh, i'm trying to finish my crappy submission now and have absolutely no motivation. Will it look really bad to employers if you tried to writeon and you don't get onto LR or any journals?

Probably not, but very school dependent. The culture of what's "expected" at each school varies a lot. Some schools only have a few journals, others have spots for nearly the entire class. Signaling, etc.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Mon May 27, 2013 7:13 pm

I'm doing it. It was just my damn 1L fatigue talking.

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Tue May 28, 2013 6:27 am

You can get by without doing too much work in law review, particularly if you are not gunning for some e board position.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”