Barbri AMP, WTF

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
blong4133

Re: Barbri AMP, WTF

Postby blong4133 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:13 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:So like... what IS the homework for Barbri? Is it just what's listed on the interactive paced program page? So some AMPs, some reading from the mini-review, and then just spend an hour reviewing your class notes? I don't know how I still have a procedural question the way they spoon-feed everything to you, but I guess I thought there would be a lot of homework, so I feel like I'm missing something?

I think you've got it, plus the practice questions/essays.

I think they pretty much tell you what you should be focusing on for a particular class, and it's on you to go over the stuff that you're having trouble with. Obviously they can't tell you that you should spend more time on the commerce clause on the con law days because they have no idea how comfortable you feel with regards to that topic.

My plan is to do what ever the paced program tells me to do, do at least 50 questions for that area after listening to the lectures, go over the answers and spend some time going over the stuff I had some issues with. And probably do an essay or two. If you feel pretty good about the topic covered that day and don't feel like there's any weak areas, I'd assume you'll probably have a relatively short day.

But in short, they tell you what to do/focus on for a class. It's on you to allot the necessary time to learning the specific areas that you're rusty on. At least that's what my approach is.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue May 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Where are you getting the extra MBE topic questions? Are there some in one of the books?

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:30 pm

5ky wrote:Where are you getting the extra MBE topic questions? Are there some in one of the books?

Well, the books have 6 or so sets of questions for each MBE topic (I think the first question book). I also have 200 questions from a PMBR book that the attorney I'm working for let me use. But I think there should be at least 100+ questions for each subject in the topic specific sets. But my books are at the office so maybe I'm mistaken as to the numbers. But I know that you're supposed to do something like 36 questions for each topic after the lectures, at least that's what the paced thing says.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:41 pm

blong4133 wrote:
5ky wrote:Where are you getting the extra MBE topic questions? Are there some in one of the books?

Well, the books have 6 or so sets of questions for each MBE topic (I think the first question book). I also have 200 questions from a PMBR book that the attorney I'm working for let me use. But I think there should be at least 100+ questions for each subject in the topic specific sets. But my books are at the office so maybe I'm mistaken as to the numbers. But I know that you're supposed to do something like 36 questions for each topic after the lectures, at least that's what the paced thing says.

Hmm. I read the paced thing as saying that the rate at which you complete questions should be 36/hour, but they'll be explicitly assigned on certain days.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Tue May 28, 2013 11:34 pm

Don't skip ahead on essays and mbe because it will be assigned later

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed May 29, 2013 9:00 am

BaiAilian2013, you are correct about what Barbri is prescribing. Preclass review are the Barbri AMPs. Then you watch the video / go to class, while filling out the fill-in-the-blank outline. Then you review your "notes" (the fill-in-the-blank outline). Then you do the assigned practice multiple choice and essays. The latter are assigned on less than all days. They seem to prefer to assign them after a subject is complete.

At this point, I am just going to do what they say. Figuring out which alternate schedule to use is becoming more stressful than just going with what they recommend. Their schedule does not seem to require anything close to the 8-10 hours a day, seven days a week schedule they talk about.

Edit: fix bad spelling.
Last edited by Bronte on Wed May 29, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Wed May 29, 2013 9:04 am

Bronte wrote:BaiAilian2013, you are correct about what Barbri is prescribing. Preclass review are the Barbri AMPs. Then you watch the video / go to class, while filling out the fill-in-the-blank outline. Then you review your "notes" (the fill-in-the-blank outline). Then you do the assigned practice multiple choice and essays. The latter are assigned on less than all days. They seem to prefer to assign them after a subject is complete.

At this point, I am just going to do what they say. Figuring out which alternate schedule to use is becoming more stressful than just going with what they recommend. There schedule does not seem to require anything close to the 8-10 hours a day, seven days a week schedule they talk about.

I agree with the time - maybe we should just supplement reading the convisor/full outlines to make them 8-10 hour days with a few MBE questions thrown in?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed May 29, 2013 9:06 am

BCLS wrote:
Bronte wrote:BaiAilian2013, you are correct about what Barbri is prescribing. Preclass review are the Barbri AMPs. Then you watch the video / go to class, while filling out the fill-in-the-blank outline. Then you review your "notes" (the fill-in-the-blank outline). Then you do the assigned practice multiple choice and essays. The latter are assigned on less than all days. They seem to prefer to assign them after a subject is complete.

At this point, I am just going to do what they say. Figuring out which alternate schedule to use is becoming more stressful than just going with what they recommend. There schedule does not seem to require anything close to the 8-10 hours a day, seven days a week schedule they talk about.

I agree with the time - maybe we should just supplement reading the convisor/full outlines to make them 8-10 hour days with a few MBE questions thrown in?

No I think 8-10 hours a day is excessive, at least in the first month. I think doing what they say for now is fine.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks - reassuring to know I'm not missing anything. I agree, 8-10 hours a day, particularly if seven days per week, is ridiculous. Also, I wonder if it might just be an error, because that half-hour intro video we had to watch said something more like 7-9 hours a day, Monday through Friday. Which is a little more plausible (although I'm not promising anyone 9 hours).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”