How important to do homework before first day of bar review?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ness Lee

How important to do homework before first day of bar review?

Postby Ness Lee » Sun May 19, 2013 4:55 am

How important is it to do the homework before the first day of Bar Review for BarBri? I have been lazy since finals and the last thing I wanted to do was this AMP crap. Give me an excuse to be lazy till the last day!

Tangerine Gleam

Re: How important to do homework before first day of bar review?

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun May 19, 2013 2:32 pm

One person told me that BarBri basically assumes you've done nothing in advance, despite the aggressive schedule. Given that we've got 2+ months to study once classes start, I'm banking on waiting.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun May 19, 2013 2:47 pm

There was homework for barbri?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun May 19, 2013 2:51 pm

How do I find out where the homework is

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun May 19, 2013 3:32 pm

rad lulz wrote:How do I find out where the homework is

I know the pre-lecture program is called BarBri "AMP." I saw it somewhere on the website but haven't clicked on it. I heard there was 40 hours of review/homework to do before the California class.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun May 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

I know the pre-lecture program is called BarBri "AMP." I saw it somewhere on the website but haven't clicked on it. I heard there was 40 hours of review/homework to do before the California class.

Yeah I just found that. Obviously haven't done any of it

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sun May 19, 2013 4:48 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

Yeah I just found that. Obviously haven't done any of it

I think they "expect" you to do all of the AMP shit before classes even start, but the intro lecture seems to imply that you'll be fine if you just keep pace with the schedule (i.e. doing each AMP module before the corresponding lecture). I just did the torts module, and man, it's a fucking grind.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sun May 19, 2013 4:54 pm

I tried my hand at a few subjects and decided the whole stumbling through questions I don't know wasn't really helping me. I'm sure the studies they have demonstrating its quicker are accurate for some people...but for me I remember a lot just by reading the outline. If I use AMP, it'll be as a review as I go.

I also don't think they "expect" you to do it before BarBri starts. It was included in the optional Early Start Paced Program but they also have it in the Paced Program as you go.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Sun May 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Remember, AMP is new and unproven, so the past passers didn't do that shit.

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Sun May 19, 2013 6:04 pm

I did all the amp modules. It took since March!!! Mind numbing.

niners49

Postby niners49 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Just took the CalBar for the first time and passed. I took BarBri as well. My two cents...

I didn't do the homework leading up to the first day. I opened up the AMPs, did an hour's worth, and put it down. Also did the intro videos, which I found to be unnecessary. My advice: just relax, enjoy these last few days of freedom before life gets hectic.

Also, I felt like AMPs were unnecessary overall. You only got 24 hours in a day. BarBri class is anywhere from 3-4.5 hours. Then, you are recommended to study an additional 4-6 hours on top of that. Do the math, that comes out to about 7-10.5 hours of studying. Those 4-6 hours only account for your assigned homework, not the additional AMPs.

Also, you will not get through all the homework. Accept this. This fact alone almost precludes the idea of even entertaining the AMPs. Why? Because, unless you're digesting the material extremely fast, you're going to cut into your sleep/meal/leisure time, which is already small as it is. But even still, try to get through as much homework as possible.

So, my opinion is to not do the AMPs at all, because you can spend that time on other things (like practice PTs, essays, or MBEs).

Last bit of advice: treat bar study like a job where you gotta put in the more than occasional overtime hours. 9-5, with an expected 2-3 hours overtime a day.

Good luck all!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”