(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Myself

Postby Myself » Thu May 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

RELIC

Re: Anybody ever actually get a grade changed?

Postby RELIC » Thu May 16, 2013 12:03 pm

ajax adonis wrote:Just wondering if anyone ever actually did this in law school? How'd you do it? (Not talking about clerical mistakes).

Would be curious to know of people's stories of trying to get their grade changed (successfully or not).

I have known two people that have tried unsuccessfully.

Bottom line: Unless it is a clerical error, you aren't getting it changed.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu May 16, 2013 12:08 pm

I can't imagine it is ever worth trying.

1. You look like an asshole for thinking you're entitled to a higher grade.
2. Assuming the school has a review process, it'll be highly deferential. So unless you earn and D where you really deserved an A, the score will stand.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Some guy was bragging on here a few months back about getting grades changed successfully. No one believed him. And he seemed like an asshole.

But that's the only instance I have ever heard of it happening. It's got to be an administrative nightmare for the professor, and the registrar probably flips a shit because of the curve. I can't imagine it happens very much, if at all.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu May 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Last edited by Myself on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Thu May 16, 2013 6:01 pm

shock259 wrote:Some guy was bragging on here a few months back about getting grades changed successfully. No one believed him. And he seemed like an asshole.

But that's the only instance I have ever heard of it happening. It's got to be an administrative nightmare for the professor, and the registrar probably flips a shit because of the curve. I can't imagine it happens very much, if at all.

This.

Also, I should clarify that I got everyone's grades changed once. I took a 100% MC final (I know, it was like seeing a unicorn) and we were allowed to challenge the questions if they were unclear or incorrect by writing on the back of our tests. After grades came out I emailed the professor and asked about the questions I challenged. I think I challenged three total because that was the max allowed.

He told me that no one challenged any questions. I sent him an email explaining how I had challenged three questions and wrote it on the back of my test like the proctor had instructed. It turns out he had given the proctor instructions to tell us to write our challenges on a separate piece of paper. Everyone in the class had challenged some questions so he went back and reviewed all of our challenges and threw out 2 of the questions. That completely changed the curve and actually raised my grade.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Thu May 16, 2013 6:04 pm

I think it's kind of dickish to presume you know better about grading than the professor does.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Thu May 16, 2013 6:13 pm

Yes. On a paper, not an exam. And, it was before the prof turned the grade in. And, it was just one percentage point, basically.

This probably will not help you.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu May 16, 2013 11:53 pm

Yes. Admin error. Nothing more. Prof felt terrible.

HiiPower2015

Postby HiiPower2015 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:22 am

We had a review session for contracts and got to look over our exam, and many people discovered the professor miscounted points and gave people B's that deserved A's. Actually changed quite a few grades and probably threw off the curve

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri May 17, 2013 11:34 am

several schools do not allow grade changes without substantial proof of error on the professor's part...

Oglethorpe

Postby Oglethorpe » Sat May 18, 2013 4:56 pm

I had one changed due to clerical mistake and one due to ambiguity. The change due to ambiguity was on the midterm though, not the final. Following the midterm, the professor held a review session where he went over each multiple choice answer. I politely challenged one of his answers and he agreed to change my grade. Went from A- to A. Nice guy.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat May 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Maybe in an uncurved class. I haven't heard of this happening, but I think this might be a situation wherein it could happen. It would never happen in a curved class absent like a scantron-malfunction mistake or that sort of thing.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sun May 19, 2013 2:35 pm

HiiPower2015 wrote:We had a review session for contracts and got to look over our exam, and many people discovered the professor miscounted points and gave people B's that deserved A's. Actually changed quite a few grades and probably threw off the curve

did this make other people get their grades lowered?

jkay

Postby jkay » Sun May 19, 2013 6:03 pm

I had one professor actually invite people to challenge her grading on an essay-based final. :roll:

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Mon May 20, 2013 12:23 am

Really hope you guys are right about this never happening. I graduated literally on the cutoff GPA for top 10% and I've been obsessively re-checking the site that lists our honors cutoffs for the past few days. I'm so fucking afraid of some dbag getting a grade changed and moving the cutoff.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon May 20, 2013 12:59 am

Yes. i have a buddy who had two grades changed. But both were legit errors.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Mon May 20, 2013 11:46 am

Yeah, I got a grade changed first semester (D to an A). You're probably not going to get a grade changed very often though for anything except an administrative error/examsoft going bonkers/etc. (And to clarify, mine was because of a mistake.)

Mistakes happen, and probably a lot more often than people think. If you suspect a grade is way off, you should at least get a copy of your exam, if possible, and make sure it was graded correctly. Law school grades are too important to just assume that you deserved a bad grade.

I think it would be worth it to ask to see your score/exam for any exam where you got a C or lower, just in case, even if your grade turns out to be correct 99% of the time. The burden of verifying your grades is miniscule compared to the possible benefit in job opportunities or summer clerkships or whatnot.

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon May 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue May 21, 2013 9:11 am

ajax adonis wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:Yes. i have a buddy who had two grades changed. But both were legit errors.

What are "legit" errors? Are those clerical ones? Ones where the professor overlooked something?

Yeah, either a calculation error (e.g. combining a MC score and essay score and they add incorrectly) or an input error (when they submit the grade to the school they type in something wrong).

puppylaw

Postby puppylaw » Wed May 22, 2013 12:33 pm

odoylerulez wrote:Yeah, I got a grade changed first semester (D to an A). You're probably not going to get a grade changed very often though for anything except an administrative error/examsoft going bonkers/etc. (And to clarify, mine was because of a mistake.)

Mistakes happen, and probably a lot more often than people think. If you suspect a grade is way off, you should at least get a copy of your exam, if possible, and make sure it was graded correctly. Law school grades are too important to just assume that you deserved a bad grade.

I think it would be worth it to ask to see your score/exam for any exam where you got a C or lower, just in case, even if your grade turns out to be correct 99% of the time. The burden of verifying your grades is miniscule compared to the possible benefit in job opportunities or summer clerkships or whatnot.

What do you actually see when you asked to see your score/ exam? We can go to our registrar to look at our old ones. The ones I went to look at had a couple check marks spread over 20 pages and nothing more.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed May 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Knew a girl who got her contract grade changed from an A to a C+ due to clerical error.

Didn't take them very long to get that fixed.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed May 22, 2013 3:54 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed May 22, 2013 4:00 pm

It happens more than you might expect, particularly if it's a question of failing and you threaten to sue: http://www.swlaw.edu/pdfs/jle/jle604Naim.pdf

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Thu May 23, 2013 1:39 am

ajax adonis wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:Knew a girl who got her contract grade changed from an A to a C+ due to clerical error.

Didn't take them very long to get that fixed.

Was she gunning for an A+ and then get it changed? Or did that change happen on its own?

They changed it after another student inquired the prof about the grade and they realized the Registrar somehow got their grades mixed up.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”