Preparation for BarBri? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
theduder

New

Preparation for BarBri?

Post by theduder » Tue May 14, 2013 8:19 pm

Other than any substantive things learned in law school, what are some tips to prepare for the BarBri program? My classes start in 2 weeks. Is there anything I should be doing right now to get ready? Things I need to have on day 1 of class? I'll develop a better study schedule in the next few days, but right now I am operating under the assumption that I will be attending class daily and doing another 4-5 hours of work per day. Does that sound like enough? How about some ideas on things as simple as what you recommend bringing/for organization to more in depth suggestions that helped you really master the material?

AMCD

Bronze

Re: Preparation for BarBri?

Post by AMCD » Wed May 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Two more weeks? Lucky you! My "homework" starts Saturday and classes Wednesday. I got an email telling me what they recommend doing before the course starts. They also give their recommendations about the commitment etc. The interactive paced program lays out the work on a daily basis and tracks your completion of the tasks and progress. They recommend 8 - 10 hours daily, SEVEN DAYS A WEEK. Who does that? I have kids, so no way I am doing every day.

cpajd

New

Post by cpajd » Wed May 15, 2013 12:27 pm

I've started viewing the online lectures that are up on the site. I figure between now and the start I can make it through all of them, just as a refresher (or in some cases, my first exposure to a couple subjects). I feel like hitting the ground running.

AntiHuman

Bronze

Post by AntiHuman » Wed May 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Save a lot of time and skip all the Barbri AMP...I finished the AMP back in April for Crim Law/Pro and Torts and did not find it helpful at all. JUst read Conviser Mini Review. Thoughts?

cpajd

New

Post by cpajd » Wed May 15, 2013 8:54 pm

AntiHuman wrote:Save a lot of time and skip all the Barbri AMP...I finished the AMP back in April for Crim Law/Pro and Torts and did not find it helpful at all. JUst read Conviser Mini Review. Thoughts?
I was wondering about that since they made the AMP sound so great.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Wed May 15, 2013 9:34 pm

You do not need to prep for this. It is probably the most spoonfed learning you will ever do in your life. Don't waste time prepping - enjoy your last days of freedom.*

*Did Barbri, passed the bar, no prep whatsoever.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm

did not occur to me once that you would need to prep for this beyond knowing when and where to show up on the first day.

Lindsay at BARBRI

New

Post by Lindsay at BARBRI » Fri May 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Hello, my name is Lindsay and I am an Academic Attorney at BARBRI. To get started on your preparation, you may complete the 100 Question Diagnostic Exam that can be found in our MBE Preview book, then watch the accompanying analysis lectures. Note that this exam is optional, so failure to complete it will not cause you to fall behind. Another recommendation is that you get started by working on BARBRI AMP modules, which start to be assigned a few days before classes begin. Completing those modules early means you will not have to complete them again once classes begin, unless you want to revisit those modules in Refresher mode. You can also consider reading the Conviser Mini Review for any subjects that you are unfamiliar with or may not have taken in law school. However, this is completely optional.

For Day One of class, you will need to bring your lecture handout book and a pen. I advise to also bring your laptop and/or a pen and paper, just in case. Your Paced Program should alert you if a handout is not provided for a particular lecture.

Your daily schedule will be comprised of around 8-10 hours of study. This includes lectures, which are generally around four hours long. The Paced Program is flexible, so you may move assignments around as necessary to accommodate your scheduling needs.

As for your question about how to best master the material, I suggest contacting your regional BARBRI office, because the answer to that question really depends on which state’s exam you are taking. An Academic Attorney for your state will be able to provide you with more personalized guidance as to how to get ready for exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”