Working Part-Time and Barbri

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Kobe824
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 am

Working Part-Time and Barbri

Postby Kobe824 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Hi all, I plan on taking the Texas bar this July. My firm wants me to stay on part-time (about 20-25 hours/week) during May and June while studying for the bar (already enrolled with Barbri). I am planning on working in the mornings and spending the rest of the day studying and watching the lectures online.

Is this doable? Has anyone had success doing something like this?

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Working Part-Time and Barbri

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:56 pm

I had a buddy who did this and passed, but i wouldnt recommend it.

lukertin
Posts: 775
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:16 am

Re: Working Part-Time and Barbri

Postby lukertin » Mon May 13, 2013 6:01 pm

I worked full time while studying half-assedly for the bar.

if you can't pull it off while working half-time...I worry for you.

(this state has a 75% pass rate too, btw)

Kobe824
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 am

Re: Working Part-Time and Barbri

Postby Kobe824 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:10 pm

lukertin wrote:I worked full time while studying half-assedly for the bar.

if you can't pull it off while working half-time...I worry for you.

(this state has a 75% pass rate too, btw)


I definitely think I can, but I just want to see how others have done it along with managing the Barbri schedule.

AMCD
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: Working Part-Time and Barbri

Postby AMCD » Mon May 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Texas certainly has a better pass rate, but still it's unreasonable of them to ask this of you. I presume you have a full-time offer post-bar? If so, realize you won't have that offer if you fail. I know several people who tried doing Barbri and working part-time and none of them passed. Of course it's possible, but the odds are probably not in your favor.

Kobe824
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 am

Re: Working Part-Time and Barbri

Postby Kobe824 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:58 am

AMCD wrote:Texas certainly has a better pass rate, but still it's unreasonable of them to ask this of you. I presume you have a full-time offer post-bar? If so, realize you won't have that offer if you fail. I know several people who tried doing Barbri and working part-time and none of them passed. Of course it's possible, but the odds are probably not in your favor.


Yeah, but they've made it clear that they want me to work during the summer. I don't really want to screw up my chances of working there.

I'll be able to put in about 7 hours a day during the week on studying and make up any time lost on the weekends. I'm not too worried about burnout as I've been putting in similar types of hours all semester. Plus, I intend to take off the 3 weeks beforehand to really crank down.

I just need to figure out a good study schedule.

Emily at BARBRI
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Re: Working Part-Time and Barbri

Postby Emily at BARBRI » Tue May 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi Kobe 824. My name is Emily, and I am a Director of Legal Educaiton for BARBRI in Texas. It is definetely doable to study for the bar while working, though not encouraged. There is typically a better rate of passage for non-workers. That being said, it is not always possible to take two months off. I would recommend following the on line schedule, not the class schedule. The key is to be dedicated and dilligant. It is very easy to get behind, and once you do it is VERY difficult to catch up. If you keep your eye on the prize and follow the schedule accordingly, you should be fine. Also, find out who you r attorney is and reach out for help and advice as well. We have all been through this and know a thing or two that may help out!Good Luck!

Kobe824
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 am

Re: Working Part-Time and Barbri

Postby Kobe824 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Emily at BARBRI wrote:Hi Kobe 824. My name is Emily, and I am a Director of Legal Educaiton for BARBRI in Texas. It is definetely doable to study for the bar while working, though not encouraged. There is typically a better rate of passage for non-workers. That being said, it is not always possible to take two months off. I would recommend following the on line schedule, not the class schedule. The key is to be dedicated and dilligant. It is very easy to get behind, and once you do it is VERY difficult to catch up. If you keep your eye on the prize and follow the schedule accordingly, you should be fine. Also, find out who you r attorney is and reach out for help and advice as well. We have all been through this and know a thing or two that may help out!Good Luck!


Where can I find that schedule? I didn't see it on the website.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MarkinKansasCity and 7 guests