Waiting for 1L 2nd semester grades is killing me

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
echooo23

Re: Waiting for 1L 2nd semester grades is killing me

Postby echooo23 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:53 am

Oh great. Another business day that I can spend obsessively checking for grades. This is way worse than last semester.

xiamay

Postby xiamay » Mon May 13, 2013 2:26 pm

mr.hands wrote:For some reason i felt like i was waaay more prepared in the first semester of 1L. Does anyone else feel that way?

At this point i'd love to be median pwned. 2 of my 4 finals were 8 hour take-homes. I went back and read my answers after i turned them in (i know i know) and found multiple typos. Dear God i'm nervous.

+1 to both. It seems like I could easily handle the classes with no job stuff to worry about, but then the spring OCI deadlines/interviews hit, and everything seemed a lot more to juggle.

I read over my memo after I turned it in, and found some typos as well... oh well.

Thanks TLSaul and Grimfan... my buddies have been telling me to let it go since forever ago, maybe hearing it on a forum will actually make it sink in :P and yeah, def remembering that I have a life/interests outside school helps :)

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon May 13, 2013 3:33 pm

In for the wait now. Whoopee.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Mon May 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Yeah, before coming to law school, people warned me about not getting caught up too badly in the law school game.

"I need to get top 10% because, uh... TOP 10%!"

"I need to get on law review because, uh... LAW REVIEW!"

"I need to go work for a V5 firm because, uh... V5!"

I mean, if you have legitimate and tangible reasons why you want all those things, then you have the right to go after those. But I think for a lot of us, we only start caring because other people start to care, and maybe we want to impress our peers just for the sake of impressing them because it feels good to do so.

But in the end, you should maintain perspective and not let peer pressure decide your values and goals for you. Otherwise, we may end up as one of those lawyers who once wanted to do cool things with their careers, but find themselves aged 55 and chasing bonuses and prestige markers for no real good reason, simply because everybody else is doing so.

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:35 pm

kpuc wrote:Yeah, before coming to law school, people warned me about not getting caught up too badly in the law school game.

"I need to get top 10% because, uh... TOP 10%!"

"I need to get on law review because, uh... LAW REVIEW!"

"I need to go work for a V5 firm because, uh... V5!"

I mean, if you have legitimate and tangible reasons why you want all those things, then you have the right to go after those. But I think for a lot of us, we only start caring because other people start to care, and maybe we want to impress our peers just for the sake of impressing them because it feels good to do so.

But in the end, you should maintain perspective and not let peer pressure decide your values and goals for you. Otherwise, we may end up as one of those lawyers who once wanted to do cool things with their careers, but find themselves aged 55 and chasing bonuses and prestige markers for no real good reason, simply because everybody else is doing so.

True, but it's not just about being top 10% or being on law review or at x firm. It's about getting a job and not being in debt for the next 25 years with no hope of financial security. I could give two shits about being top 10%. But top 10% is where chances of landing a decent paying job are the highest, and I do give a shit about that.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Mon May 13, 2013 6:48 pm

echooo23 wrote:True, but it's not just about being top 10% or being on law review or at x firm. It's about getting a job and not being in debt for the next 25 years with no hope of financial security. I could give two shits about being top 10%. But top 10% is where chances of landing a decent paying job are the highest, and I do give a shit about that.

I agree. My post was more aimed at those people who did well first semester and want to maintain their GPA mainly out of pride, rather than real economic consequences.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon May 13, 2013 6:55 pm

kpuc wrote:
echooo23 wrote:True, but it's not just about being top 10% or being on law review or at x firm. It's about getting a job and not being in debt for the next 25 years with no hope of financial security. I could give two shits about being top 10%. But top 10% is where chances of landing a decent paying job are the highest, and I do give a shit about that.

I agree. My post was more aimed at those people who did well first semester and want to maintain their GPA mainly out of pride, rather than real economic consequences.

i dunno how this matters. whether it is your first reason or your second reason or your eighth, its still pretty crucial at a lot of schools if you want them jerbz that pay you.

i want to be number 1 out of vainglory.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Mon May 13, 2013 7:35 pm

This wait is terrible. Just make it stop.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon May 13, 2013 8:33 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:This wait is terrible. Just make it stop.

don't check until june

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Mon May 13, 2013 10:27 pm

northwood wrote:

don't check until june

your grades come out before june?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon May 13, 2013 10:30 pm

The wait is better than having to still endure exams :(

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Mon May 13, 2013 10:35 pm

northwood wrote:

don't check until june

You're fucking kidding me, right?

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:29 pm

Checking in don't really care about grades. They probably aren't going to be that good so why worry. Fuck thank god I did alright last semester. Why were exams so much harder this time around.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Wed May 15, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm fully in "Dun Care" mode now. It feels great. I'm dreading the grades email though because then it means I'll eventually have to look at them.

xiamay

Postby xiamay » Wed May 15, 2013 8:52 pm

I'ved reached my "acceptance" staged in my seven stages of finals grieving as far as past exams go... but still 1 final tomorrow--just trying to maintain my insular bubble... so much angst and bitterness at the library right now.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Thu May 16, 2013 1:34 am

xiamay wrote:I'ved reached my "acceptance" staged in my seven stages of finals grieving as far as past exams go... but still 1 final tomorrow--just trying to maintain my insular bubble... so much angst and bitterness at the library right now.

Finish strong, man.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu May 16, 2013 3:03 am

sup

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Thu May 16, 2013 8:46 am

Last semester I walked out of all my finals not knowing where I would land due to having no idea how to feel on a final with a strict curve. All I knew is that I felt good and prepared and whatever happened happened. I ended up doing well which was awesome.

This semester I felt the exact opposite. None of my finals felt good, even though I feel like I prepared as much for them as I did for my finals last semester. Idk if it is because I know enough now to know that I don't know shit, or if I really did bomb it.

Either way, these next few weeks of waiting are going to suck.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 16, 2013 9:45 am

Birdnals wrote:Last semester I walked out of all my finals not knowing where I would land due to having no idea how to feel on a final with a strict curve. All I knew is that I felt good and prepared and whatever happened happened. I ended up doing well which was awesome.

This semester I felt the exact opposite. None of my finals felt good, even though I feel like I prepared as much for them as I did for my finals last semester. Idk if it is because I know enough now to know that I don't know shit, or if I really did bomb it.

I feel the same exact way. I prepared similarly for this semester as first semester. Now that they are over, I feel significantly worse than I did last semester. Its especially bad because I was expecting to feel a great relief after 1L ended, but its been the opposite.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu May 16, 2013 9:48 am

Agreed, brothers. Fuck this semester.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 am

I agree with the sentiment that htis semester felt a lot rougher despite similar preparation. i jsut don't care, at all.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Thu May 16, 2013 10:47 am

Danger Zone wrote:Agreed, brothers. Fuck this semester.

+1

Not a 1L but I definitely feel this way.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Thu May 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Birdnals wrote:Last semester I walked out of all my finals not knowing where I would land due to having no idea how to feel on a final with a strict curve. All I knew is that I felt good and prepared and whatever happened happened. I ended up doing well which was awesome.

Yeah, ignorance and low expectations are bliss.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu May 16, 2013 3:20 pm

Checking in. Better have done well

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”