Waiting for 1L 2nd semester grades is killing me

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LetsGoLAW

Re: Waiting for 1L 2nd semester grades is killing me

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Nova wrote:how does everyone find out if they booked a class?

I never found out last semester.

is it official? Private? Different everywhere?

The professor informed me. At some schools, they give certificates.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Different everywhere. Even at one place, different by prof. Last semester, my profs emailed me. This semester, I haven't heard anything, but I'm pretty sure I was the top grade in two of my classes. Was thinking about emailing the profs but how douchey is that? "Hey prof, I'm the top grade, right?"

And CONGRATS JSA and LGL, you both deserve it. CSWS crew cleaning up.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:47 pm

I don't think all schools make a thing about it. My school publishes grade distributions for each class, and based on that I was the top grade in one class, but never heard anything beyond that. It doesn't do Cali or AmJur awards, either.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:48 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Ahh. Ok. Thx for the replies.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Can I just note how strange it is that so many of us booked the exact same class?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:57 pm

thats pretty Erie.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:57 pm

stillwater wrote:thats pretty Erie.

Pity laugh.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:34 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
stillwater wrote:thats pretty Erie.

Pity laugh.

Iq-ballsy move there, Unam.

Silverback

Postby Silverback » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:38 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:

At my school, they award you with a certificate if you get the highest grade in the class.

However, if you get a B+ or A- in a law school class, I would think that you should be very pleased depending on your curve. During first year, my school curves over half of the class into the C range, giving out grades as long as C- and perhaps even some Ds. Essentially, the curve functions to fail out students who do not have the chops to cut it. So, even a B- as a first year is a very respectable grade.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Silverback wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:

At my school, they award you with a certificate if you get the highest grade in the class.

However, if you get a B+ or A- in a law school class, I would think that you should be very pleased depending on your curve. During first year, my school curves over half of the class into the C range, giving out grades as long as C- and perhaps even some Ds. Essentially, the curve functions to fail out students who do not have the chops to cut it. So, even a B- as a first year is a very respectable grade.

respectable if you want shitlaw

Silverback

Postby Silverback » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:58 pm

stillwater wrote:
Silverback wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:

It really depends on the school you go to, where you want to work geographically, and how the school's grading policy. I have much better than a B- average after graduation, but I can say that the curve at my school is much more rigorous than other schools in the state. To give you perspective, the first year bell curve at my school probably averages the class at a 2.5, while other schools will give out a B- as the lowest grade. There are many factors that go into getting a good job. There are people I know who do very well on exams, but would fail miserably when being forced to think on their feet in front of a judge or do not know how to proceed with drafting a pleading.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Silverback wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Silverback wrote:

It really depends on the school you go to, where you want to work geographically, and how the school's grading policy. I have much better than a B- average after graduation, but I can say that the curve at my school is much more rigorous than other schools in the state. To give you perspective, the first year bell curve at my school probably averages the class at a 2.5, while other schools will give out a B- as the lowest grade. There are many factors that go into getting a good job. There are people I know who do very well on exams, but would fail miserably when being forced to think on their feet in front of a judge or do not know how to proceed with drafting a pleading.

While the curve may be more rigorous, the quality of the average student at those types of schools (schools with very low medians) is often markedly lower.

(I dont know what school you go to, but that's generally the case)

Silverback

Postby Silverback » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:26 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Silverback wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Silverback wrote:

While the curve may be more rigorous, the quality of the average student at those types of schools (schools with very low medians) is often markedly lower.

(I dont know what school you go to, but that's generally the case)

That is true. Often when a school is easier to get into, they make up for it by cutting people on the back end by failing out students after first year. However, I do not believe that people who perform well and graduate from such a school lack the potential to be a successful attorney. Nevertheless, I think measurement of "success" is fairly subjective, and often people fail to consider quality of life. It is sad to see someone live 95% of their life within the confines of an office, even if they may be rolling in some serious dough. Do you even enjoy that money? I guess you can dump it into a car that you sit in while going to work or a house that only serves as a place for you to sleep every night.

Anyway, I was hoping to bring some encouragement to 1Ls, not get into any sort of dispute.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Silverback wrote:
That is true. Often when a school is easier to get into, they make up for it by cutting people on the back end by failing out students after first year. However, I do not believe that people who perform well and graduate from such a school lack the potential to be a successful attorney. Nevertheless, I think measurement of "success" is fairly subjective, and often people fail to consider quality of life. It is sad to see someone live 95% of their life within the confines of an office, even if they may be rolling in some serious dough. Do you even enjoy that money? I guess you can dump it into a car that you sit in while going to work or a house that only serves as a place for you to sleep every night.

Anyway, I was hoping to bring some encouragement to 1Ls, not get into any sort of dispute.

No no, I agree. I'm not trying to say anything about potential.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:22 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Silverback wrote:

No no, I agree. I'm not trying to say anything about potential.

no one wants the best lawyer, they want the most presTTTigious lawyer.

dagreatemly

Postby dagreatemly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:54 am

This trickling in of one grade a week needs to stop. It feels like someone's peeing on my face.

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:50 am

dagreatemly wrote:This trickling in of one grade a week needs to stop. It feels like someone's peeing on my face.

3 days after the official deadline, a few hours after the actual deadline, and I have 1 of 4 grades.

STOP PEEING ON ME

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:09 am

I don't get schools with a super low curve. It's like they are trying to hamstring their students.

At mine I got an 85 in one class and on my transcript it says B+. Sure, it is a solid two and a half points below median, but it is easier to explain a B+ to an employer than a C.

Obviously percentiles are the most important thing, but if you aren't in the top percentiles I would rather have a school with grade inflation so when you are bottom quarter but say "Just outside the top 3rd" in interviews it seems more believable.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:22 pm

Birdnals wrote:I don't get schools with a super low curve. It's like they are trying to hamstring their students.

At mine I got an 85 in one class and on my transcript it says B+. Sure, it is a solid two and a half points below median, but it is easier to explain a B+ to an employer than a C.

Obviously percentiles are the most important thing, but if you aren't in the top percentiles I would rather have a school with grade inflation so when you are bottom quarter but say "Just outside the top 3rd" in interviews it seems more believable.

TTTs aren't trying to help the median students with a low curve; those students are beyond help. They're trying to help the top students. When a student gets an A in a class, in order to impress employers, he needs to be able to tell them "I fucking crushed my classmates." Just saying "I was better than most of my classmates," which is all he could really say if the curve was higher, isn't enough to get that student a job because a roast beef sandwich could score better than most TTT students on an exam.

So basically, the schools are giving students at the top more room to separate themselves from the dregs.

dagreatemly

Postby dagreatemly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:46 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:
dagreatemly wrote:This trickling in of one grade a week needs to stop. It feels like someone's peeing on my face.

3 days after the official deadline, a few hours after the actual deadline, and I have 1 of 4 grades.

STOP PEEING ON ME

Did the entire GULC registrar's office die? Are they on sabbatical? wtf...

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 am

dagreatemly wrote:
ColtsFan88 wrote:

STOP PEEING ON ME

Did the entire GULC registrar's office die? Are they on sabbatical? wtf...

The delay is outrageous.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:38 pm

nevdash wrote:
Birdnals wrote:I don't get schools with a super low curve. It's like they are trying to hamstring their students.

TTTs aren't trying to help the median students with a low curve; those students are beyond help. They're trying to help the top students. When a student gets an A in a class, in order to impress employers, he needs to be able to tell them "I fucking crushed my classmates." Just saying "I was better than most of my classmates," which is all he could really say if the curve was higher, isn't enough to get that student a job because a roast beef sandwich could score better than most TTT students on an exam.

So basically, the schools are giving students at the top more room to separate themselves from the dregs.

It's also because some TTT schools give out generous scholarships to practically everyone, so the curve is harsh to terminate a lot of the scholarships and save the school $$$, all the while trapping the student who now has a year in and figures they may as well finish, even if they have to pay sticker price.

Lubberlubber

Postby Lubberlubber » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:42 pm

Grades are supposed to come out today. So nervous. Ugh.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”