Waiting for 1L 2nd semester grades is killing me Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Randomnumbers

Bronze

Re: Waiting for 1L 2nd semester grades is killing me

Post by Randomnumbers » Thu May 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Birdnals wrote:Last semester I walked out of all my finals not knowing where I would land due to having no idea how to feel on a final with a strict curve. All I knew is that I felt good and prepared and whatever happened happened. I ended up doing well which was awesome.

This semester I felt the exact opposite. None of my finals felt good, even though I feel like I prepared as much for them as I did for my finals last semester. Idk if it is because I know enough now to know that I don't know shit, or if I really did bomb it.

Either way, these next few weeks of waiting are going to suck.
I don't know how anyone can feel comfortable with how they did on that Degeest final. (And it doesn't help knowing that ~7 of the top 10 in our class were taking that exam).

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu May 16, 2013 7:00 pm

OCI and call back waiting is worse.....

and those doing a journal next year..... is the extra stress really worth it??? ( im going to say nope....)

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu May 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Randomnumbers wrote: I don't know how anyone can feel comfortable with how they did on that Degeest final. (And it doesn't help knowing that ~7 of the top 10 in our class were taking that exam).
Yeah dude, that final + the 24 hour con law threw me for a loop.

If I do well in that class it will be exclusively because he gives participation points and insisted on calling on me everyday for the last 2 months of class regardless of if I raised my hand or not.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Thu May 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Just got one back much earlier than expected. Not too happy about it. Had a good cushion going into this semester so I'm not dead in the water just yet, but if the rest of them are like this I might be fucked. Feels bad man.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu May 16, 2013 10:31 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:Just got one back much earlier than expected. Not too happy about it. Had a good cushion going into this semester so I'm not dead in the water just yet, but if the rest of them are like this I might be fucked. Feels bad man.
I know its hard, but don't check grades until after they all come in if possible... doing it one by one puts you on a trolleriic emotional rollercoaster ride

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu May 16, 2013 10:55 pm

im so glad our school doesn't give grades back except all at once.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Thu May 16, 2013 11:12 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:Just got one back much earlier than expected. Not too happy about it. Had a good cushion going into this semester so I'm not dead in the water just yet, but if the rest of them are like this I might be fucked. Feels bad man.
Chin up bro. As a bro who got reamed first semester, I can tell you that it's not the end of the world.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu May 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:im so glad our school doesn't give grades back except all at once.
Same.

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:41 am

I wish my school did them all at once -- they did first semester, but not second semester.

The shitty part about this is that I have no-self control and will end up looking at them, and will watch as my GPA goes down the toilet. I've gotten two (out of five) grades back and they have both been very good, but they were for the classes I expected to do well in, so I'm pretty sure it's all downhill from here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Fri May 17, 2013 12:40 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Chin up bro. As a bro who got reamed first semester, I can tell you that it's not the end of the world.
Thanks man. Trying to stay positive. Still two more to go, and the one we got back was the one I felt worst about (as if that means anything).

Northwood, thanks for the advice. I think I'm definitely going to just wait until they're all up. It's gonna be tough with everyone instantly telling you theyr'e posted though haha.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Fri May 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Wtf already? Now I'm going to start checking despite the fact that I know I probably won't see grades until like June 2nd. Sorry to hear that about this first performance though man, hopefully the rest will come out better for you.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Fri May 17, 2013 2:20 pm

hyakku wrote:
Wtf already? Now I'm going to start checking despite the fact that I know I probably won't see grades until like June 2nd. Sorry to hear that about this first performance though man, hopefully the rest will come out better for you.
No reason to bother. You know that property grade isn't coming back until days after grades are due.

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Fri May 17, 2013 2:28 pm

It's only one grade bro. Hang in there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Fri May 17, 2013 3:51 pm

:( sorry to hear that. I love our section most of the time, but I could seriously do without the grade updates when I'm trying to do my write on. Why would you even check this early? Madness. But seriously, I can't think of any way that exam would have been graded that isn't completely arbitrary. Not a reflection on you.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Not sure why I'm already incessantly checking grades

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sat May 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Bronck wrote:Not sure why I'm already incessantly checking grades
They have until like the end of June to get them out. I'm not checking until all of my grades are back. Checking constantly doesn't change what the grades are and just adds unnecessary stress.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sat May 18, 2013 2:08 pm

hibiki wrote:
Bronck wrote:Not sure why I'm already incessantly checking grades
They have until like the end of June to get them out. I'm not checking until all of my grades are back. Checking constantly doesn't change what the grades are and just adds unnecessary stress.
Yeah, June 15 is the deadline (except for massive Con Law, which is a week later or so).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:28 am

June 15? Wow. We should have all of ours by the end of this week (we have two out of five already). I can't imagine having to wait that long. I'd go nuts.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Mon May 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Got my first grade back. So begins the constant refreshing....

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon May 20, 2013 12:20 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:June 15? Wow. We should have all of ours by the end of this week (we have two out of five already). I can't imagine having to wait that long. I'd go nuts.
Yeah :/ Columbia is ridiculously slow about it, so annoying

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue May 21, 2013 12:38 am

Getting one grade 2-3 weeks ahead of the others sucks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RoseAberlone

New

Post by RoseAberlone » Tue May 21, 2013 11:48 am

Nelson wrote:Getting one grade 2-3 weeks ahead of the others sucks.
This. I wasn't planning on checking for weeks, but now that one grade is unexpectedly up, I can't stop myself.

thelong

Silver

Post by thelong » Wed May 22, 2013 11:13 am

Done yesterday. Checking in. Let the madness begin.

At least I have write on and work to distract me.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Thu May 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Nelson wrote:Getting one grade 2-3 weeks ahead of the others sucks.
yyyyep.

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Only waiting for one more.

I'm pretty sure the wait is going to kill me. Grades were much better than I expected, and an A in this last one would be really good for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”