Failed MPRE Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
disillusioned_guy

New

Failed MPRE

Post by disillusioned_guy » Wed May 08, 2013 11:07 am

I am a 3L and I failed the MPRE for Massachusetts (I needed an 85 to pass and I got a 75.)

I am now precluded from sitting for the July bar because Massachusetts requires a passing score before taking the bar. I can re-take the MPRE in August (and November, if necessary) but I won't be able to take the bar until next February.

I don't really know what's best for me to do under these circumstances. Is it wise to get a job and work up until December?

This is very discouraging.

truevines

Bronze

Re: Failed MPRE

Post by truevines » Wed May 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Take the July NY bar instead and try to get a jig in MA or NY.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed May 08, 2013 12:13 pm

truevines wrote:Take the July NY bar instead and try to get a jig in MA or NY.
NY registration is closed bro

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:29 pm

Try to find a state that is still open. If you pay their massive fee, I think you can still sign up for NJ until May 16. And the MPRE requirement there is a 75 or taking a PR class.

Kobe824

New

Post by Kobe824 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Damn, I'd try to take the bar elsewhere if you still can. If you're only looking to stay in MA, then I guess just wait it out and try to work as a law clerk or intern somewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Wed May 08, 2013 5:14 pm

keg411 wrote:Try to find a state that is still open. If you pay their massive fee, I think you can still sign up for NJ until May 16. And the MPRE requirement there is a 75 or taking a PR class.
+1

AMCD

Bronze

Post by AMCD » Thu May 09, 2013 1:27 pm

You can file to take in California until June 17th. What about AZ or TX or NV??? At least if you do that and pass you don't have to repeat the MBE when you take MA in February, isn't that correct???

That's a grotesque rule.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Thu May 09, 2013 3:07 pm

That is a stupid rule.

Seeing how the MPRE is graded on a curve, there will ALWAYS be people who fail it.

Sure, they make the curve super easy, but it still means at least a certain percentage of test takers in MA are guaranteed to fail it. And they would be barred from taking the bar.

I guess the only argument is that as a MA bar taker, you should have known and planned for this by taking the test earlier, in case you need a re-take opportunity later if you fail it the first time.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Thu May 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:That is a stupid rule.

Seeing how the MPRE is graded on a curve, there will ALWAYS be people who fail it.

Sure, they make the curve super easy, but it still means at least a certain percentage of test takers in MA are guaranteed to fail it. And they would be barred from taking the bar.

I guess the only argument is that as a MA bar taker, you should have known and planned for this by taking the test earlier, in case you need a re-take opportunity later if you fail it the first time.
MA taker here. That's a totally fair point. I think an issue a lot of people had was that the rule was pretty recently changed and so not something everyone thought of far ahead of time. I think it also matters which school you attend; people at my school go all over the place after school so when talking with friends and stuff the assumption you get from everyone - because it's the case in every other state as far as I know - is that you can take the MPRE whenever, pass it fail it doesn't matter. Then you read the bar application and you're like "Fuuuucckkkk."

And I totally agree about the curve. Kind of mean to guarantee you'll mess up at least a few people, especially when the point is to get everyone some degree of acquainted with the ethical rules.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Thu May 09, 2013 5:08 pm

Forget about Cali bar. You'll probably fail that too.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu May 09, 2013 6:28 pm

shepdawg wrote:Forget about Cali bar. You'll probably fail that too.
Yeah, because the MPRE and the bar exam have so much in common. :roll:

OP I would say find a state that still has open registration, otherwise see if you can find a state clerkship that's still open, as those usually don't require bar membership.

And that is a really silly rule.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Thu May 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Last edited by jkay on Fri May 10, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu May 09, 2013 8:09 pm

Last edited by Myself on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Fri May 10, 2013 3:35 pm

I agree totally. I got an 80 but I'm only a 2L. It really is a test of your ability to not overthink. My friend failed the MPRE twice and passed the bar the first time he took it in MA. Don't get too discouraged.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”