The Write On - (almost) FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: The Write On - (almost) FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:53 am

ClubberLang wrote:
target wrote:A tip for those who are still doing the write-on, will do the write-on at your transferred school, or next year: follow the damn instructions including how to name your file.
I get that it might be slightly annoying, but can you explain why this is important at all? Does the name of the file somehow impede your ability to grade it?
Probably makes it difficult to keep track of when there are hundreds of apps and then a hundred different naming conventions to boot.

lakerinstl

New

Post by lakerinstl » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Has anybody heard when they will receive notice if they did (or did not) make it onto a journal?

LFH_intheflesh

New

Post by LFH_intheflesh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:33 pm

lol we don't find out until after bids are due

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:50 pm

LFH_intheflesh wrote:lol we don't find out until after bids are due
Well, THAT sucks. Our whole grading-of-write-ons was structured around getting the grades in before OCI stuff was due. (Though I think my school holds OCI a bit later than a lot of other places.)
Last edited by A. Nony Mouse on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lakerinstl

New

Post by lakerinstl » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Damn it really defeats the real purpose of wanting to get on a journal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

schweitziro

New

Post by schweitziro » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:27 pm

lakerinstl wrote:
Clerkships

lakerinstl

New

Post by lakerinstl » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:40 pm

schweitziro wrote:
lakerinstl wrote:
Clerkships
Well part of the reason.

target

Silver

Post by target » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:52 pm

mr.hands wrote:
target wrote:A tip for those who are still doing the write-on, will do the write-on at your transferred school, or next year: follow the damn instructions including how to name your file.
sounds like you're a grader. how are they looking? are most just pure dogshit?
Nothing too horrible yet, but I can see few put in more effort than others.

target

Silver

Post by target » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:
I get that it might be slightly annoying, but can you explain why this is important at all? Does the name of the file somehow impede your ability to grade it?
Probably makes it difficult to keep track of when there are hundreds of apps and then a hundred different naming conventions to boot.
This. I just get annoyed when I have to actually look for the file so I took a point off for being disorganized.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:58 pm

target wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:
This. I just get annoyed when I have to actually look for the file so I took a point off for being disorganized.
Seems like an odd thing to get worked up about. You dock a point because you have to look for a file? The horror.

Sounds like you are drunk with power. The people running the write on at my school are like this too. The constant reminders to follow the instructions make me want to e-slap everyone involved.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:06 pm

stillwater wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:
target wrote:
Seems like an odd thing to get worked up about. You dock a point because you have to look for a file? The horror.

Sounds like you are drunk with power. The people running the write on at my school are like this too. The constant reminders to follow the instructions make me want to e-slap everyone involved.
you sound like a pansy.
Eat a dick. I'll e-slap you too.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:42 pm

ClubberLang wrote:The constant reminders to follow the instructions make me want to e-slap everyone involved.
You do realize you're entering the legal profession, right?

(And yes, the heady power of grading crappy write-on submissions... today, the write-on; tomorrow, THE WORLD.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:03 am

ClubberLang wrote:
target wrote: This. I just get annoyed when I have to actually look for the file so I took a point off for being disorganized.

As noted, the profession you're entering gives a shit about every minor detail. They are grading your write on based on whether you italicized a comma for Christ's sake. Get used to it, kid.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:17 am

doing journal is already a sad, thankless existence. give them this one power trip. write-on candidates are the only people who care what these editors have to say.

LFH_intheflesh

New

Post by LFH_intheflesh » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:16 pm

lakerinstl wrote:
Well, we find out after bids are due, but before the interviews themselves. So employers still get to see your bright shiny gold star on your resume.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:07 pm

ClubberLang wrote:

When the instructions clearly tell you how to title the file, and you can't do it right, how do I know if you can follow other instructions when you get on? Or how do I know if I can trust you to edit a piece without going back and edit everything all over again?

You can do whatever you want like getting rid of all the silly instructions once you are an editor. But when you are a student writer or an applicant, follow the damn instructions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:32 am

target wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:

When the instructions clearly tell you how to title the file, and you can't do it right, how do I know if you can follow other instructions when you get on? Or how do I know if I can trust you to edit a piece without going back and edit everything all over again?

You can do whatever you want like getting rid of all the silly instructions once you are an editor. But when you are a student writer or an applicant, follow the damn instructions.
That sounds about right. My journal has built up tons of processes over the years to make sure everything runs smoothly year to year. There are lots of rules that need to be followed at each stage of the selection and editing process. If you can't be bothered to properly name a file, you're probably also the type of person that phones it in at the staff edits, which creates more work for the articles editors.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”