Exams Over! Up next, SA.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
alicrimson

Re: Exams Over! Up next, SA.

Postby alicrimson » Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 pm

NYstate wrote:Was this a troll or joke thread? Sorry my bad if I took it seriously.
But I think I gave solid advice fwiw.

Thank you very much! This advice was greatly needed and appreciated.

I do have one question, which anyone can feel free to answer: what exactly are we doing as SAs. A bunch of research projects? Memo writing? Motion drafting? I guess I'm confused. I worked for a judge last summer and we did a lot of things, but I'm sort of at a loss for what exactly summers do. I understand this is probably super silly to be asking, but I'd rather consult TLS than look like a moron the first day. haha.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri May 10, 2013 9:42 pm

I've heard that Sara Rose, Kid Lawyer is great on what to expect for the daily ins and outs of a biglaw office. It should give you a good idea what to expect. Sara Rose, of course, is now a partner at a v5.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 11, 2013 12:53 am

alicrimson wrote:
NYstate wrote:Was this a troll or joke thread? Sorry my bad if I took it seriously.
But I think I gave solid advice fwiw.

Thank you very much! This advice was greatly needed and appreciated.

I do have one question, which anyone can feel free to answer: what exactly are we doing as SAs. A bunch of research projects? Memo writing? Motion drafting? I guess I'm confused. I worked for a judge last summer and we did a lot of things, but I'm sort of at a loss for what exactly summers do. I understand this is probably super silly to be asking, but I'd rather consult TLS than look like a moron the first day. haha.

Personally, I wrote a bunch of memos on things like the fiduciary duties of a particular kind of trustee for a particular kind of trust (client wanted to sue the trustee) or the legislative history of a particular statute (that governed the kind of trust at issue). Basically I got a brief description of what the case was about, what our client wanted, and the question they needed answered. Some assignments were quite short, some were more substantial. I also did a lot of less formal "find me some cases that say X" assignments where I mostly provided cites with detailed parentheticals including pertinent language, so the associate/partner could just slot them right into the brief/motion/whatever. I also did cite-checking/proofreading of stuff right before a document was to be filed. Once I looked up jury instructions for a bunch of claims. Sadly, I never got to draft any motions, but one of my fellow SAs did. (I was at a lit-only firm, so I can't tell you anything about corporate stuff, and can't say whether my experience was at all typical, but that's what I did.)

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sat May 11, 2013 1:06 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Personally, I wrote a bunch of memos on things like the fiduciary duties of a particular kind of trustee for a particular kind of trust (client wanted to sue the trustee) or the legislative history of a particular statute (that governed the kind of trust at issue). Basically I got a brief description of what the case was about, what our client wanted, and the question they needed answered. Some assignments were quite short, some were more substantial. I also did a lot of less formal "find me some cases that say X" assignments where I mostly provided cites with detailed parentheticals including pertinent language, so the associate/partner could just slot them right into the brief/motion/whatever. I also did cite-checking/proofreading of stuff right before a document was to be filed. Once I looked up jury instructions for a bunch of claims. Sadly, I never got to draft any motions, but one of my fellow SAs did. (I was at a lit-only firm, so I can't tell you anything about corporate stuff, and can't say whether my experience was at all typical, but that's what I did.)

Great input thanks. So...on day one, what can we expect? Show us our desk, office (or work area) and I guess we set up our computer. Then what — I suspect an orientation?

Did you work directly with a partner or various partners, or was there a go-to middle-person that supervised your projects?

FYI: This is a firm with only a few SAs and half the attorneys are partners. Word is there will not be any way to go stealth since partners will be in the forefront of our little adventure.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat May 11, 2013 1:33 pm

All firms are run exactly the same so I bet what his firm did will be exactly the same as what your firm does!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 11, 2013 5:43 pm

LeDique wrote:All firms are run exactly the same so I bet what his firm did will be exactly the same as what your firm does!

Ha! Actually, I *was* at a firm with very few SAs and about half the attorneys were partners. But yeah, I have no idea if there will be any similarity. And I honestly can't remember much about the first day anymore. (FWIW, it was a small firm so there were no real "practice groups," and the SAs got handed round pretty much as needed, to both associates and partners. There was no formal system.)

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sun May 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Just counting the hours now until it’s time to see if we have learned enough to get us through the first day of our SA adventure. Thanks to everyone who contributed. If you have any last minute tips, give it a go!

(Oh yeah, I have a new updated 'tar..... 8))

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”