Exams Over! Up next, SA.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Skye

Re: Exams Over! Up next, SA.

Postby Skye » Sat May 04, 2013 2:36 pm

scruffy556 wrote:
Skye wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:This thread is the biggest trainwreck I've seen in a while.

Agreed. OP didn't even explain what a SA was. Most posters will think this thread has something to do with South Africa.

Busters maybe. Ballers like me and cj know SA means San Andreas

Welcome to your first SA day at the SA firm....

--ImageRemoved--

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:09 pm

Wow, y'all are helpful people.

OP, sorry I can't help you out personally. I imagine there's been a few other threads that would help, though - give the search function a try. I'd start with some of these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155445
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=176656

Congrats, and good luck!

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sat May 04, 2013 7:31 pm

MinEMorris wrote:Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I have a question on topic. In regard to summer assignments, how bad is an occassional grammar or punctuation error? I absolutely understand that you should proofread multiple times anything that you submit. But I also know that my understanding of punctuation and grammar isn't impeccable. I believe that errors are rare for me, but they do happen, and when they do happen, it's usually because I genuinely didn't know any better. How bad, for example, would a missing comma or an incorrect selection of an unreal verb tense (e.g. wish I was vs. wish I were) look on a summer assignment?

Put more generally, I guess I'm curious whether the attitude is "don't make any stupid mistakes or write anything that most people would know is incorrect," or if it's more like "you are in the big leagues now: every missing hyphen is a strike." Obviously I'll act like it's the latter and try to look up anything I feel uncertain about, but I'd still like to get people's sense of this issue because I'm currently unsure whether I should just be thorough or lean toward being maniacal about punctuation and grammar in my writing.

Sorry if my question comes off as naive or overly anxious. This will be my first job that isn't unskilled labor, so it feels really easy to exaggerate or underestimate the standards at play.

P.S. TYIA for any responses.

Or you could just learn the rules of grammar and punctuation. It's really not that hard, and it's a skill that will serve you well throughout your career, including outside of law.

Skye

Postby Skye » Thu May 09, 2013 12:52 am

gregfootball2001 wrote:Wow, y'all are helpful people.

OP, sorry I can't help you out personally. I imagine there's been a few other threads that would help, though - give the search function a try. I'd start with some of these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155445
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=176656

Congrats, and good luck!

Thanks, those are some pretty decent links.

A little surprised that with SAs right around the corner that there's not much being said. I thought the majority of 2 & 3Ls were headed out to a SA firm.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:50 am

Skye wrote:A little surprised that with SAs right around the corner that there's not much being said. I thought the majority of 2 & 3Ls were headed out to a SA firm.

meh, i'm a remorselessly paranoid gunner and i'm just reading curmudgeon's guide. this summer isn't supposed to be terribly hard. i guess we'll find out.

Skye

Postby Skye » Thu May 09, 2013 2:09 am

bruinfan10 wrote:
Skye wrote:A little surprised that with SAs right around the corner that there's not much being said. I thought the majority of 2 & 3Ls were headed out to a SA firm.

meh, i'm a remorselessly paranoid gunner and i'm just reading curmudgeon's guide. this summer isn't supposed to be terribly hard. i guess we'll find out.

I heard that was a pretty good read. Anything strike you as especially helpful?

'13 should be busy... I just heard that firms were being swamped with white collar crime cases.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu May 09, 2013 2:20 am

Skye wrote:I just heard that firms were being swamped with white collar crime cases.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ya heard that, did ya?

Skye

Postby Skye » Thu May 09, 2013 2:42 am

bjsesq wrote:
Skye wrote:I just heard that firms were being swamped with white collar crime cases.

Ya heard that, did ya?

I did. I did. Why don't you go do something criminal and leave a trail of bread crumbs ... so we can win the case, without spending too much time (regarding billable hours, I may want to rethink that).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 09, 2013 2:47 am

Skye wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Ya heard that, did ya?

I did. I did. Why don't you go do something criminal and leave a trail of bread crumbs ... so we can win the case, without spending too much time (regarding billable hours, I may want to rethink that).

u wot m8

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:19 am

Hmmm
Last edited by Geaux12 on Thu May 09, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu May 09, 2013 3:28 am

this is one of the worst threads i've ever read.

i mean that in the best possible way.

Skye

Postby Skye » Thu May 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Lasers wrote:this is one of the worst threads i've ever read.

+1. IRL SAs are a topic, but here it is more like, SA...meh.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Thu May 09, 2013 3:18 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:

I ordered Curmudgeon's Guide and am awaiting its arrival in the mail. I've heard it really isn't life changing, but sort of a good way to get in the mindset/I'm excited because I've been doing nothing but cleaning and going to the gym (where I sometimes do different cleans... :roll: ) since finals. I'm ready for a change of pace. It's funny, while in finals mode, I want nothing more than to do nothing. Once I can actually do nothing, it's insufferable. The grass is always greener...

Skye

Postby Skye » Fri May 10, 2013 2:27 pm

alicrimson wrote:It's funny, while in finals mode, I want nothing more than to do nothing. Once I can actually do nothing, it's insufferable. The grass is always greener...

Your SA should keep you busy. I wonder if between 8a-6p TLS becomes deserted during SA… probably not.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri May 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Skye wrote:
alicrimson wrote:It's funny, while in finals mode, I want nothing more than to do nothing. Once I can actually do nothing, it's insufferable. The grass is always greener...

Your SA should keep you busy. I wonder if between 8a-6p TLS becomes deserted during SA… probably not.

it's what phones are for.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri May 10, 2013 6:57 pm

What kind of Aspie-tool-reeree law students don't have SA's lined up? Until I saw OP say "most", I assumed all did.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Total Litigator wrote:What kind of Aspie-tool-reeree law students don't have SA's lined up? Until I saw OP say "most", I assumed all did.

People who don't want to work for law firms?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Skye wrote:
Lasers wrote:this is one of the worst threads i've ever read.

+1. IRL SAs are a topic, but here it is more like, SA...meh.

romothesavior wrote:u wot m8

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri May 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Total Litigator wrote:What kind of Aspie-tool-reeree law students don't have SA's lined up? Until I saw OP say "most", I assumed all did.

Even among those who do want to work for law firms, the market is kind of terrible right now. If many grads don't have jobs, it's likely that many 2Ls don't have SAs.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri May 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Im going to add these things because I have seen people sunk over them - but I remember some excellent threads were posted here last year by SAs. Look for more of them:

Be insanely organized. I mean organize your work and your work flow so you can find anything at a seconds notice. Keep your desk and office neat.

Do flawless work ON TIME! Dont take on a million assignments. It is more important to do everything flawlessly and on time than it is to do a million projects that keep you at the firm day and night but end up being half-assed.

If you have something a partner says is due in a few weeks - start working on it right away. If the deadline changes and he finds out you've done nothing, you are toast. The partners are the people you need to keep happy. It hurts their ego if you don't start on assignments at all.

Always remember that your summer associate job is coming out of the partners' pockets. They don't really mind but just remember who is buttering your bread. Start acting complacent or that it isn't a big deal for a kid your age to make this much money and you are on the border. if you act like it is to be expected or is just what you deserve, you will annoy everyone.

Be pleasant and enthusiastic. NEVER EVER COMPLAIN ABOUT ANYTHING. Complaining about one single thing will hurt you - and I mean even the food at an event. Or the location of an event. Or your office. Or having to walk somewhere. No one wants to work with complainers. If you are complaining about what is likely to be the cushiest and most pampered job you ever had, you will not be welcome.

Always be polite and patient with staff. You must always be polite to them. Say "please" and "thank you." DO NOT treat them as if they are there to serve you. Never be hostile, irritated or impatient.

Most important thing: take ownership of your work. Set extremely high standards for yourself and strive to meet them. Don't send out any work that you wouldn't want the head of the hiring committee to see. I remember last summer someone posted about sending something to the client that someone assured him would be ok with the attorney, even though he knew it looked sloppy. Don't do that and don't care if someone has to stay late to help you get stuff done correctly. Be a professional attorney.

Oh and ask questions if you get stuck. People will actually trust you more if you are engaged and asking questions about the work. Don't pester people with inane questions but it is always better to ask. Seriously, you build more trust this way. If someone gives you a research project say something like:" I would like to work on this for [ insert time period] and then check in with you to run through what I've found to make sure I am on the right track". You need to initiate these types of checking in meetings if the attorney doesn't. They aren't going to be planning your work flow, you need to take responsibility for this.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri May 10, 2013 8:29 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
MinEMorris wrote:Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I have a question on topic. In regard to summer assignments, how bad is an occassional grammar or punctuation error? I absolutely understand that you should proofread multiple times anything that you submit. But I also know that my understanding of puctuation and grammar isn't impeccable. I believe that errors are rare for me, but they do happen, and when they do happen, it's usually because I genuinely didn't know any better. How bad, for example, would a missing comma or an incorrect selection of an unreal verb tense (e.g. wish I was vs. wish I were) look on a summer assignment?

Put more generally, I guess I'm curious whether the attitude is "don't make any stupid mistakes or write anything that most people would know is incorrect," or if it's more like "you are in the big leagues now: every missing hyphen is a strike." Obviously I'll act like it's the latter and try to look up anything I feel uncertain about, but I'd still like to get people's sense of this issue because I'm currently unsure whether it's sufficient just to be thorough or instead lean toward being maniacal about punctuation and grammar in my writing.

Sorry if my question comes off as naive or overly anxious. This will be my first job that isn't unskilled labor, so it feels really easy to exaggerate or underestimate the standards at play.

As I said above, set extremely high standards. You should be expecting to not make mistakes. What you might do is get another SA to read your work - or agree to exchange work-so that another set of eyes is looking over your writing. If you are unsure about punctuation just simplify your sentence. So I would go with being maniacal. If the firm has a style guide, use it. If not, bring some books with you. You will have to be maniacal as an associate; start your first day with that attitude.
Last edited by NYstate on Fri May 10, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri May 10, 2013 8:30 pm

alicrimson wrote:

Even among those who do want to work for law firms, the market is kind of terrible right now. If many grads don't have jobs, it's likely that many 2Ls don't have SAs.

I kid... outside the T14, probably 5 to 10% of T1 and T2 students have SA's (if you lump all non-T14 schools together). In the T14, all taken together, it's probably 50 to 60%.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri May 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Was this a troll or joke thread? Sorry my bad if I took it seriously.
But I think I gave solid advice fwiw.

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Fri May 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks a ton, NY. Credited advice.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Fri May 10, 2013 9:13 pm

NYstate wrote:Was this a troll or joke thread? Sorry my bad if I took it seriously.
But I think I gave solid advice fwiw.

Great advice! I started this thread for those like myself looking forward to their SA. Thanks again.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”