Exams Over! Up next, SA.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Sheffield

Exams Over! Up next, SA.

Postby Sheffield » Fri May 03, 2013 12:00 am

What’s the plan Sam? Are most of you getting a one or two week break before SA? For those (3Ls or Grads) who have been through a 2L SA, any advice for the first couple days or first week?

I was advised today to make memorizing everyone’s name high on the list — that comes pretty naturally, unless ten people are being introduced at once. Good luck with that!

rad lulz

Re: Exams Over! Up next, SA.

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 03, 2013 12:46 am

Advice - don't get no offered

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Fri May 03, 2013 11:05 am

rad lulz wrote:Advice - don't get no offered

Got that part.

What I am asking regards what to expect on the first couple days of the SA - looking for tips (what to do, not do) one might have to offer. I imagine it is all pretty cut and dry, but if anyone has a story this is the place to let ‘er rip.

(Not certain how many 3Ls even had a 2L SA — I assume most did).

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri May 03, 2013 11:07 am

Sheffield wrote:

Got that part.

What I am asking regards what to expect on the first couple days of the SA - looking for tips (what to do, not do) one might have to offer. I imagine it is all pretty cut and dry, but if anyone has a story this is the place to let ‘er rip.

if you make English mistakes like that one, you'll be in no-offer territory.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Fri May 03, 2013 11:19 am

:) Thanks — great tip. Given my proficiency on writing message board notes, should they ask if I have ever heard of TLS, "TL-what?"

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Fri May 03, 2013 11:41 am

2L SA is the same as 1L SA so no need to limit it. First week is pretty much orientation and welcome parties/lunches. Just be nice, wear a suit and go to all the events. Probably won't get a real assignment until week 2.

rockthered86

Postby rockthered86 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Sheffield wrote:

Got that part.

You assume most 3Ls had a SA job?

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Fri May 03, 2013 12:57 pm

rockthered86 wrote:You assume most 3Ls had a SA job?

I think I do. Isn’t that the idea? Go to LS, pick up a SA, give it your all for 10 weeks (while stressing over being offered). If offered, then go traumatize one’s self about the bar.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Sheffield wrote:

I think I do. Isn’t that the idea? Go to LS, pick up a SA, give it your all for 10 weeks (while stressing over being offered). If offered, then go traumatize one’s self about the bar.

You assumed wrong

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Fri May 03, 2013 1:31 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Sheffield wrote:

You assumed wrong

Perhaps, but what I was hoping for was hearing about the first week experience from former 2L SA’s. Especially those who underwent a fair amount of partner interaction.

I would think that many others have gone through this experience.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri May 03, 2013 1:52 pm

it's pretty straight forward. you go there, follow directions, go to every function they have, and not asp out.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 03, 2013 2:11 pm

f0bolous wrote:not asp out.

Exactly. Watch out for snakes

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Fri May 03, 2013 2:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:

? over my head, confused

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Fri May 03, 2013 3:45 pm

f0bolous wrote:it's pretty straight forward. you go there, follow directions, go to every function they have, and not asp out.

Rational is credited - but thought someone with a little time to kill might have an interesting SA tale or two to tell.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Antrim wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

? over my head, confused

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=asp+snake

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Fri May 03, 2013 3:58 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Antrim wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

? over my head, confused

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=asp+snake

Got it. Thought for a second it was a reference to snake-like people at work or somein referncy like that

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri May 03, 2013 4:08 pm

This thread is the biggest trainwreck I've seen in a while.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri May 03, 2013 4:12 pm

Antrim wrote:Got it. Thought for a second it was a reference to snake-like people at work or somein referncy like that

I thought it had to do with snakes on a plane for some reason

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Fri May 03, 2013 4:30 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:This thread is the biggest trainwreck I've seen in a while.

Sounds boring... check out your local dive bar at 2:05 AM

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri May 03, 2013 4:32 pm

Flame. Fuck this guy.

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Fri May 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I have a question on topic. In regard to summer assignments, how bad is an occassional grammar or punctuation error? I absolutely understand that you should proofread multiple times anything that you submit. But I also know that my understanding of punctuation and grammar isn't impeccable. I believe that errors are rare for me, but they do happen, and when they do happen, it's usually because I genuinely didn't know any better. How bad, for example, would a missing comma or an incorrect selection of an unreal verb tense (e.g. wish I was vs. wish I were) look on a summer assignment?

Put more generally, I guess I'm curious whether the attitude is "don't make any stupid mistakes or write anything that most people would know is incorrect," or if it's more like "you are in the big leagues now: every missing hyphen is a strike." Obviously I'll act like it's the latter and try to look up anything I feel uncertain about, but I'd still like to get people's sense of this issue because I'm currently unsure whether I should just be thorough or lean toward being maniacal about punctuation and grammar in my writing.

Sorry if my question comes off as naive or overly anxious. This will be my first job that isn't unskilled labor, so it feels really easy to exaggerate or underestimate the standards at play.

P.S. TYIA for any responses.
Last edited by MinEMorris on Fri May 03, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Fri May 03, 2013 7:34 pm

MinEMorris wrote:Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I have a question on topic. In regard to summer assignments, how bad is an occassional grammar or punctuation error? I absolutely understand that you should proofread multiple times anything that you submit. But I also know that my understanding of puctuation and grammar isn't impeccable. I believe that errors are rare for me, but they do happen, and when they do happen, it's usually because I genuinely didn't know any better. How bad, for example, would a missing comma or an incorrect selection of an unreal verb tense (e.g. wish I was vs. wish I were) look on a summer assignment?

Put more generally, I guess I'm curious whether the attitude is "don't make any stupid mistakes or write anything that most people would know is incorrect," or if it's more like "you are in the big leagues now: every missing hyphen is a strike." Obviously I'll act like it's the latter and try to look up anything I feel uncertain about, but I'd still like to get people's sense of this issue because I'm currently unsure whether it's sufficient just to be thorough or instead lean toward being maniacal about punctuation and grammar in my writing.

Sorry if my question comes off as naive or overly anxious. This will be my first job that isn't unskilled labor, so it feels really easy to exaggerate or underestimate the standards at play.

you write somewhat oddly, so i'd fix that quickly.

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Fri May 03, 2013 7:43 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
MinEMorris wrote:Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I have a question on topic. In regard to summer assignments, how bad is an occassional grammar or punctuation error? I absolutely understand that you should proofread multiple times anything that you submit. But I also know that my understanding of puctuation and grammar isn't impeccable. I believe that errors are rare for me, but they do happen, and when they do happen, it's usually because I genuinely didn't know any better. How bad, for example, would a missing comma or an incorrect selection of an unreal verb tense (e.g. wish I was vs. wish I were) look on a summer assignment?

Put more generally, I guess I'm curious whether the attitude is "don't make any stupid mistakes or write anything that most people would know is incorrect," or if it's more like "you are in the big leagues now: every missing hyphen is a strike." Obviously I'll act like it's the latter and try to look up anything I feel uncertain about, but I'd still like to get people's sense of this issue because I'm currently unsure whether it's sufficient just to be thorough or instead lean toward being maniacal about punctuation and grammar in my writing.

you write somewhat oddly, so i'd fix that quickly.

Yeah, thanks :p. I know my writing has an awkward flow, but I can usually fix it through editing. I probably should have been more concerned about how I would come off in a question about writing.

Skye

Postby Skye » Sat May 04, 2013 11:09 am

Agreed. OP didn't even explain what a SA was. Most posters will think this thread has something to do with South Africa.

scruffy556

Postby scruffy556 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:43 am

Skye wrote:

Agreed. OP didn't even explain what a SA was. Most posters will think this thread has something to do with South Africa.

Busters maybe. Ballers like me and cj know SA means San Andreas

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”