Anyone else thinking of dropping out?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Anyone else thinking of dropping out?

Postby cinephile » Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 pm

zanzbar wrote:I am also in this boat. Lower T1 school, around 25 grand in debt, I was just slightly in the top 30% after first semester but I can't find shit for 1L summer. I have 1 more final then I am just going to take the weekend off, relax, and then start applying to undergrad institutions to get a 2nd degree in a real field. Not looking forward to telling the parents I wasted the last 5 years of my life, but what can you do.


Is getting another degree absolutely necessary? I'd focus on getting any kind of entry level job first and seeing where you can go from there.

zanzbar
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: Anyone else thinking of dropping out?

Postby zanzbar » Wed May 08, 2013 11:01 pm

cinephile wrote:
zanzbar wrote:I am also in this boat. Lower T1 school, around 25 grand in debt, I was just slightly in the top 30% after first semester but I can't find shit for 1L summer. I have 1 more final then I am just going to take the weekend off, relax, and then start applying to undergrad institutions to get a 2nd degree in a real field. Not looking forward to telling the parents I wasted the last 5 years of my life, but what can you do.


Is getting another degree absolutely necessary? I'd focus on getting any kind of entry level job first and seeing where you can go from there.

Its in a completely different field, its an industry that pays very well not big law good but much better then I could expect from where I am in terms of class ranking, and it probably only sets me back 20-25 grand over 3 years if I am forced to pay sticker, but most likely since I can get paid internships and scholarships I am looking at maybe only 10 grand if that in additional costs, and I have family connections that will make getting a job. So I could join the labor force now and make maybe 40-45k a year, grind out law school for another 2 years end up around 65k in debt, or get into this other field go to school 3 years, and make anywhere from 70-85k starting.

bananapeanutbutter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Anyone else thinking of dropping out?

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Thu May 09, 2013 11:37 am

zanzbar wrote:
cinephile wrote:
zanzbar wrote:I am also in this boat. Lower T1 school, around 25 grand in debt, I was just slightly in the top 30% after first semester but I can't find shit for 1L summer. I have 1 more final then I am just going to take the weekend off, relax, and then start applying to undergrad institutions to get a 2nd degree in a real field. Not looking forward to telling the parents I wasted the last 5 years of my life, but what can you do.


Is getting another degree absolutely necessary? I'd focus on getting any kind of entry level job first and seeing where you can go from there.

Its in a completely different field, its an industry that pays very well not big law good but much better then I could expect from where I am in terms of class ranking, and it probably only sets me back 20-25 grand over 3 years if I am forced to pay sticker, but most likely since I can get paid internships and scholarships I am looking at maybe only 10 grand if that in additional costs, and I have family connections that will make getting a job. So I could join the labor force now and make maybe 40-45k a year, grind out law school for another 2 years end up around 65k in debt, or get into this other field go to school 3 years, and make anywhere from 70-85k starting.

dude ur around top third. you're quitting too soon. if you would drop out over top third then why enroll at all?

Lyonsoccer87
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: Anyone else thinking of dropping out?

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:58 am

Are you dropping out because you couldn't find anything for your 1L summer?! I was in top 5% and couldn't find something my 1L summer.

zanzbar
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: Anyone else thinking of dropping out?

Postby zanzbar » Fri May 10, 2013 11:16 pm

Lyonsoccer87 wrote:Are you dropping out because you couldn't find anything for your 1L summer?! I was in top 5% and couldn't find something my 1L summer.

That's part of it. I also just don't enjoy the material like I thought I would, and even though my debt number is low compared to most people, I have never had more then about 4 grand to my name, and the thought of 60-70 grand scares the shit out of me, like wake up middle of the night cold sweats and the fact that I couldn't find shit job wise just compounded that problem. I am waiting for grades to come out before I decide, but I am expecting a substantial drop. At the end of the day its my own damn fault, I guess I had some of that K-JD special snowflake mindset, and law school has managed to beat that shit out of me. I just don't want to be some shitlaw small town attorney, and it just seems like I am headed straight down that path.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests