law prof collecting outlines after exam.. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BCLS

Silver

law prof collecting outlines after exam..

Post by BCLS » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Why would they bother? Seems odd to me.

tsutsik

Bronze

Re: law prof collecting outlines after exam..

Post by tsutsik » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:28 pm

To make sure that no one is using a commercial outline?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Does the prof have a rule that you're only supposed to use your OWN outline on the exam? Could be a way to check that people aren't using hand-me-down, outline bank or commercial outlines

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:30 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Does the prof have a rule that you're only supposed to use your OWN outline on the exam? Could be a way to check that people aren't using hand-me-down, outline bank or commercial outlines
Yeah, we had one of those. We weren't even allowed to collaborate with section-mates.

What was funny was she told us she was going to collect them, so obviously everyone was paranoid about making their own and not using an old one, but then she didn't actually collect it. So all that work for nothing. But I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:46 pm

It's so weird. We get a 10 page outline with strict requirements. Why not just make it closed book?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Almost none of my classes allowed ANY outlines. The few that did only allowed one page outlines that were pre-approved by staff. And ALL were closed book.

Tests are harder when you can't just copy and paste.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:56 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:Almost none of my classes allowed ANY outlines. The few that did only allowed one page outlines that were pre-approved by staff. And ALL were closed book.

Yeah, this. Having an outline is great (at least for me) since I don't have to memorize every minor detail of the rule and its forks. I just remember as much as I can, and refer to my outline whenever I need more to write about.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:57 pm

SportsFan wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:Almost none of my classes allowed ANY outlines. The few that did only allowed one page outlines that were pre-approved by staff. And ALL were closed book.

Yeah, this. Having an outline is great (at least for me) since I don't have to memorize every minor detail of the rule and its forks. I just remember as much as I can, and refer to my outline whenever I need more to write about.
not saying it isn't nice

in theory that is they way it is in "real life".........unless of course you are not in your office but in front of the judge or across the table in negotiation and want to actually look like you know what you are talking about and not risk being told you are wrong multiple times in a row.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 pm

So stupid... just make the question hard enough so that even with outlines people cannot just get the answer. It is like taking a math exam without having access to the equations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”