law prof collecting outlines after exam..

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

law prof collecting outlines after exam..

Postby BCLS » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Why would they bother? Seems odd to me.

tsutsik
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:26 pm

Re: law prof collecting outlines after exam..

Postby tsutsik » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:28 pm

To make sure that no one is using a commercial outline?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: law prof collecting outlines after exam..

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Does the prof have a rule that you're only supposed to use your OWN outline on the exam? Could be a way to check that people aren't using hand-me-down, outline bank or commercial outlines

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: law prof collecting outlines after exam..

Postby cinephile » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:30 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Does the prof have a rule that you're only supposed to use your OWN outline on the exam? Could be a way to check that people aren't using hand-me-down, outline bank or commercial outlines


Yeah, we had one of those. We weren't even allowed to collaborate with section-mates.

What was funny was she told us she was going to collect them, so obviously everyone was paranoid about making their own and not using an old one, but then she didn't actually collect it. So all that work for nothing. But I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: law prof collecting outlines after exam..

Postby BCLS » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:46 pm

It's so weird. We get a 10 page outline with strict requirements. Why not just make it closed book?

thelawdoctor
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: law prof collecting outlines after exam..

Postby thelawdoctor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Almost none of my classes allowed ANY outlines. The few that did only allowed one page outlines that were pre-approved by staff. And ALL were closed book.

Tests are harder when you can't just copy and paste.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: law prof collecting outlines after exam..

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:56 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:Almost none of my classes allowed ANY outlines. The few that did only allowed one page outlines that were pre-approved by staff. And ALL were closed book.

Tests are harder when you can't just copy and paste.

Yeah, this. Having an outline is great (at least for me) since I don't have to memorize every minor detail of the rule and its forks. I just remember as much as I can, and refer to my outline whenever I need more to write about.

thelawdoctor
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: law prof collecting outlines after exam..

Postby thelawdoctor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:57 pm

SportsFan wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:Almost none of my classes allowed ANY outlines. The few that did only allowed one page outlines that were pre-approved by staff. And ALL were closed book.

Tests are harder when you can't just copy and paste.

Yeah, this. Having an outline is great (at least for me) since I don't have to memorize every minor detail of the rule and its forks. I just remember as much as I can, and refer to my outline whenever I need more to write about.


not saying it isn't nice

in theory that is they way it is in "real life".........unless of course you are not in your office but in front of the judge or across the table in negotiation and want to actually look like you know what you are talking about and not risk being told you are wrong multiple times in a row.

Pokemon
Posts: 1857
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: law prof collecting outlines after exam..

Postby Pokemon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 pm

So stupid... just make the question hard enough so that even with outlines people cannot just get the answer. It is like taking a math exam without having access to the equations.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests