Is Law Preview Course worth it??

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jiazhoujiazhou

Is Law Preview Course worth it??

Postby jiazhoujiazhou » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:42 pm

I am a 0L at Penn and just received an email from the law school about a Law Preview Scholarship opportunity. Basically a law firm will sponsor scholarship recipients to attend a one-week law preview course in one of the major cities. It'll be free but it'll mess up with my summer schedule a little... I was wondering how helpful the course would be in terms of preping me for the 1st year and especially in terms of networking (Since I'd be taking it in LA and the courses are taught by local lawyers/professors, and CA is where I hope to land a job after LS.)
Has anyone here taken it before or heard of it, or have thoughts on this type of course in general?
Thank you!!

paulshortys10

Re: Is Law Preview Course worth it??

Postby paulshortys10 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:19 pm

the best part of the course is that you get free supplements (assuming you get the scholarship)

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Sounds like good reasons to go. Can't hurt, might help, and you get to meet people. Not a perfect situation, but definitely a plus all around.

clarion

Postby clarion » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:50 am

Did it last year and was super-optimistic about it. Now that my 1L year is drawing to a close, I have to say it was VERY pointless lol I also got a scholarship to go last year, so didn't lose out on a whole lot, but basically they go through every 1L course in one day over the course of the week. As an example, the woman who taught the property lecture actually went to the law school I'm attending and is a professor in D.C. I really enjoyed her personality A LOT, but the things she focused on were hardly anything like the stuff we've focused on this semester in my property class. For example, she talked about Pierson v. Post for like 40 minutes, but when we did it in my class this semester, we spoke about it for all of 10 minutes and focused on fairly different issues. Same goes for the contracts professor who was actually one of the guys who wrote Getting to Maybe.

So yeah, it's a nice idea. And if you wanna just go because it's free and you might get some useful advice about how to outline and stuff of the sort, then go for it. But even all that stuff about "how to approach 1L year" is stuff that I heard a million times more at orientation and various 1L events last semester. My two cents.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 am

It also makes for a good conversation point with the sponsoring firm come OCI time

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:05 am

A course in a day? Taught by someone who is not your prof? And you have to give up 0L summer time?

lol. No.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:43 am

Bikeflip wrote:A course in a day? Taught by someone who is not your prof? And you have to give up 0L summer time?

lol. No.

:?

clarion

Postby clarion » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:05 pm

Bikeflip wrote:A course in a day? Taught by someone who is not your prof? And you have to give up 0L summer time?

lol. No.

Hahah, your skepticism is definitely appropriate. And seeing as how OP said participating would be require shifting around of OP's summer schedule, you're probably right about it being a waste of time.

OP: Insofar as networking goes, it's not dreadfully useful. I mean, if you get a scholarship to go however, you can always register, take the scholarship (to put on your resume because why not?) and just sign in the first day. I mean, they don't take attendance after the first day, so no one will know/care if you go, or don't go, or leave early (a few people left early most days), etc. In short, I see no harm in applying and then later deciding whether or not it'll be worth your effort.

jiazhoujiazhou

Postby jiazhoujiazhou » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:05 pm

clarion wrote:

lol. No.

Hahah, your skepticism is definitely appropriate. And seeing as how OP said participating would be require shifting around of OP's summer schedule, you're probably right about it being a waste of time.

OP: Insofar as networking goes, it's not dreadfully useful. I mean, if you get a scholarship to go however, you can always register, take the scholarship (to put on your resume because why not?) and just sign in the first day. I mean, they don't take attendance after the first day, so no one will know/care if you go, or don't go, or leave early (a few people left early most days), etc. In short, I see no harm in applying and then later deciding whether or not it'll be worth your effort.

Thanks!! I applied=D

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”