I got accepted into a clinic should I accept?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ineedinfo

I got accepted into a clinic should I accept?

Postby ineedinfo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:55 pm

I was offered a spot in an international property law clinic, but I am not sure if to accept this position? I applied to several clinics without thinking, and do not know what affect, if any, they will have on my job prospects. The course requires me to take international law, and although this is one of my interest, I want to increase my chances of getting work and eventually a job working for myself. For this reason, I thought I would study something like bankruptcy law or real estate law.

Do you think I should accept this clinic? Would it not allow me to become a bankruptcy law or real estate lawyer later if I take this course. How many electives can I take in law school?

Sorry, I am currently at the end of my 1L year, and I seriously don't have the answers to these questions, and the counselors at my school are of little help. I have until Monday to accept this position.

Clearly

Re: I got accepted into a clinic should I accept?

Postby Clearly » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:59 pm

...what school...

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:00 pm

Um, usually you can take pretty much whatever classes you want after 1L...I don't know, clinics are generally really cool (but a lot of work), though yours sounds a little weird. What does the day-to-day work consist of? What school are you at? What are your grades like?

ineedinfo

Postby ineedinfo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks, I wasn't aware I can take any courses I wanted. I am trying not to say what school I go to because I have asked a lot of people this question already and I know some of the professors visit the site. Anyways, it is easy to figure out.

Yes, the clinic I would be working on sounds really cool, but I really am curious what affect it will have on my career. I wasn't aware I can take whatever classes I want, but how many classes will allow me to become a real estate lawyer for example, do I have to take a multitude of classes or will one do?

Can I be both a real estate and bankruptcy lawyer at the same time? How about an international business lawyer, and bankruptcy? Would these combinations be possible, especially if I add this clinic. This clinic will take up one semester so I will only have 3 more.

Thanks

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Clinics are good; take the clinic.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:06 pm

There are some schools which quite a lot of requirements still after 1L (for example, Texas Tech has 26 hrs of requirements for 2L/3L, or 7 courses). So you may want to check on this. Even if your school counselors are awful, they should be able to point you to a list of actual required courses for your program.

I don't think any of us can answer how this clinic will affect your career if we don't have any idea what it entails, and I really don't. I haven't been able to find an example of an international property clinic anywhere (lots of intellectual property clinics, but no international). What kind of work does the clinic do?

To be a bankruptcy lawyer, you'd want to take bankruptcy (to state the obvious). When you say real estate lawyer, what do you mean by that? What do you actually want to do?

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:37 pm

do the clinic.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:43 pm

if you are worried about your requirements, talk to records and registration at your school. They will tell you what you need take, and all that jazz. A clinic is likely an easy class with no final. One class or clinic will not bar you from practicing that type of law, just as one class or clinic will not make you very marketable, either ( although it may be a nice resume boost... but even then that's rather debatable). If you are interested in a concentration, then take classes to reflect this, and do your best to structure your job search accordingly ( but remain flexible) You should be able to schedule as best as possible around this, and as a 2L you have the option of waiting for fall 3L year ( or even spring 2L) to take any classes that currently conflict with your clinic class.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Could you give a range of schools? T14? 15-30? T1? T4?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:48 pm

I don't think the range matters, personally. As long as you also take normal classes and don't do pass-fail for the entirety of your 2L and 3L year, I think practical experience in a clinic is a positive (or at least not a negative) even if it's not in your area. You choose what to put on your resume and how to frame it. If you're afraid that future employers will think you want IP law instead of bankruptcy (which they probably dgaf about), just tell them in an interview or cover letter that it helped you gain practical lawyering experience but you don't wish to work in that field.

ineedinfo

Postby ineedinfo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks guys, I will probably do the clinic, but I can take about 12 up to 16 credits or so each semester, and this will consume 5 and international law another 5, so basically this whole semester will be the clinic. I was under the impression that evidence was a required course, as well as a number of others, but the school isn't clear on its website so I will try to find out more.

I just want to know if I have enough time to take the classes I want in order to pursue real estate, which are likely property courses, along with something like bankruptcy, in order to find work when I graduate?

I want to attempt a solo practice when I graduate, that is why I am leaning towards real estate or bankruptcy since I might be able to get clients for either field, bankruptcy maybe being the easier route.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:36 pm

ineedinfo wrote:Thanks guys, I will probably do the clinic, but I can take about 12 up to 16 credits or so each semester, and this will consume 5 and international law another 5, so basically this whole semester will be the clinic. I was under the impression that evidence was a required course, as well as a number of others, but the school isn't clear on its website so I will try to find out more.

I just want to know if I have enough time to take the classes I want in order to pursue real estate, which are likely property courses, along with something like bankruptcy, in order to find work when I graduate?

I want to attempt a solo practice when I graduate, that is why I am leaning towards real estate or bankruptcy since I might be able to get clients for either field, bankruptcy maybe being the easier route.

I mean, you'll have three other semesters to take whatever you want in the property / real estate / bankruptcy area. 5 credits for a clinic is not much at all. I am about to spend my entire last semester of 3L year doing a 10-credit externship, not taking any classes.

ineedinfo

Postby ineedinfo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Thanks, but that gets me to my other question, how long do you usually have to decide what field you are interested in, what if in my 2L year I figure that I took all the wrong classes, can I compensate for this in my 3L year?

Also, what if I later decide I wanted to do a different clinic, wouldn't it be better to wait until my third year to do a clinic or externship, when I know more about what I want to do?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:03 am

ineedinfo wrote:Thanks, but that gets me to my other question, how long do you usually have to decide what field you are interested in, what if in my 2L year I figure that I took all the wrong classes, can I compensate for this in my 3L year?

Also, what if I later decide I wanted to do a different clinic, wouldn't it be better to wait until my third year to do a clinic or externship, when I know more about what I want to do?

I honestly don't think they'll really care about what classes you take. If you're up in the air on something, take a bar class (subject that is tested on the bar exam), you can always pass it off as just taking a recommended course. I think a lot of employers know that people don't necessarily know what they want to do though. Just take one bankruptcy class, one real estate class, be eclectic, try all the classes. See what you like. You don't have to take classes all in one subject area (if that's even possible) to impress employers in that area. Although if you're trying to get hired at a legal aid and all you've taken is corporations, sec reg, secured transactions, and antitrust it might be a bit odd. :lol:

I only got asked about classes I took one interview. Maybe other people had different experiences.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:42 am

Clinics are way too much work for the credit hours.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:45 am

lol wtf is international property law

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:58 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:28 am

IAFG wrote:lol wtf is international property law

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:15 am

bruinfan10 wrote:
IAFG wrote:lol wtf is international property law

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:58 am

Clinic is probably one of the best experiences of law school. There is no question that you should do it.

ineedinfo

Postby ineedinfo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:08 pm

ajax adonis wrote:international property law? You don't wanna take something a little more practical? Maybe trial ad or depos?

"Clinics are way too much work for the credit hours."

This is my point, is the clinic worth it at all? It sounds to me like it's not practical and a waste of time, should I just drop out of this clinic and focus on classes this semester, and then sign up for a better clinic next year?

In this clinic we find lost items from another country or an item someone outside the country is claiming possession for and then we attempt to return it, that is what I mean by international property.

ineedinfo

Postby ineedinfo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:15 pm

Kronk wrote:
ineedinfo wrote:Thanks, but that gets me to my other question, how long do you usually have to decide what field you are interested in, what if in my 2L year I figure that I took all the wrong classes, can I compensate for this in my 3L year?

I honestly don't think they'll really care about what classes you take. If you're up in the air on something, take a bar class (subject that is tested on the bar exam), you can always pass it off as just taking a recommended course. I think a lot of employers know that people don't necessarily know what they want to do though. Just take one bankruptcy class, one real estate class, be eclectic, try all the classes. See what you like. You don't have to take classes all in one subject area (if that's even possible) to impress employers in that area. Although you're trying to get hired at a legal aid and all you've taken is corporations, sec reg, secured transactions, and antitrust it might be a bit odd. :lol:

I only got asked about classes I took one interview. Maybe other people had different experiences.

This is interesting, so I guess the classes really don't matter or affect what you want to practice. I guess they just give you a guideline. I was only asked to take environmental law before applying to this environmental law public interest law firm while I was working on my 1L summer job hunt.

So I wonder, even if you take a lot of useless classes in law school, can you teach yourself a new field after law school and practice it if you want? Are lawyers just taught how to think and later they can do whatever they want?

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Kronk wrote:
I mean, you'll have three other semesters to take whatever you want in the property / real estate / bankruptcy area. 5 credits for a clinic is not much at all. I am about to spend my entire last semester of 3L year doing a 10-credit externship, not taking any classes.

So you are paying your school for the ability to work for someone and not get paid.

Oh law school.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”