CatholicU to slash budget 20%, cites decline in law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
timbs4339

Gold

CatholicU to slash budget 20%, cites decline in law school

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:37 pm

revenues.

--LinkRemoved--

I didn't do so good at the maths. Someone please tell me how a decline in revenue from 10% of the student body results in a need to cut 20% overall operational expenditures?

MKC

Diamond

Re: CatholicU to slash budget 20%, cites decline in law school

Post by MKC » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:40 pm

timbs4339 wrote:revenues.

--LinkRemoved--

I didn't do so good at the maths. Someone please tell me how a decline in revenue from 10% of the student body results in a need to cut 20% overall operational expenditures?
Fixed costs vs. Operational Costs.

Operational costs are being cut by 20%. If fixed costs are half the budget, and revenues drop 10%, then variable (operational) costs must be cut by 20%. Yay math.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:44 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Operational costs are being cut by 20%. If fixed costs are half the budget, and revenues drop 10%, then variable (operational) costs must be cut by 20%. Yay math.

It's not like there are going to be zero paying law students, though. Revenue from the law school then must be much higher than 10% of the budget.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:47 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

It's not like there are going to be zero paying law students, though. Revenue from the law school then must be much higher than 10% of the budget.
Or fixed costs are most of the budget. Schools have a shitload of infrastructure to maintain. Buildings, utilities, and maintenance are non-negotiable. That leaves operations. The proportions may change, but I still think this is a fixed/variable cost issue as far as reconciling the numbers goes.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:32 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Hopefully this will not affect the educational quality of CatholicU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”