Punk/Alt Students - What's their plan? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Diamond

Re: Punk/Alt Students - What's their plan?

Post by 09042014 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:16 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Honestly, it annoys me that people can't have any of these things and still be professional. Having a tattoo does not make you any less intelligent. Wearing a suit does not make you more intelligent. One day this country will give up on professional attire. One day a long, long time from now.
Jerking off in front of your boss doesn't make you less intelligent either.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:45 am

Desert Fox wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Honestly, it annoys me that people can't have any of these things and still be professional. Having a tattoo does not make you any less intelligent. Wearing a suit does not make you more intelligent. One day this country will give up on professional attire. One day a long, long time from now.
I feel like you are comparing apples and oranges to get a rise out of me. I know my opinion is unpopular, but it is my opinion.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:02 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
I feel like you are comparing apples and oranges to get a rise out of me. I know my opinion is unpopular, but it is my opinion.
Tattoos in US society are not the norm. Having them on an always visible part of your body is a non-conformist choice. Certain parts of the legal profession generally values structure, conformity and the willingness to set aside pretty much all aspects of self. Choosing to get a tattoo that is visible or choosing not to wear the "uniform" is indicative of not having a personality that blends well into certain legal environments.

If you have an issue with the choice of dress or policy on tattoos/hair/piercings of an employer, chances are you are going to have much longer list of complaints about the environment. Just as they may judge you, it makes complete sense for you to judge them as well.

ZyzzBrah

Bronze

Post by ZyzzBrah » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:35 pm

One guy in the 1L class at my school has large gauge earrings. I always think, "what do employers think when someone with large holes in their ears walk in to an interview"

but, hey, im at a 30-40 ranked school so i guess no one is getting a job anyway, unless they are top 10 anyway.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:49 pm

ZyzzBrah wrote:One guy in the 1L class at my school has large gauge earrings. I always think, "what do employers think when someone with large holes in their ears walk in to an interview"

but, hey, im at a 30-40 ranked school so i guess no one is getting a job anyway, unless they are top 10 anyway.
Truth.

But that's what plastic surgery is for. Or he could just grow out his hair.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:16 am

Tattoos are invisible unless you have them on your face, neck or hands. I have tattoos and don't anticipate them being an impediment to my future employment any more than my grades or the state of the legal hiring environment.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:09 am

KidStuddi wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:
shepdawg wrote:At my TTT there's some 3L's with mohawks, pink hair, nose rings, or hand/neck/face tattoos. I'm just wondering what these people think they're going to do with their JD.
Why don't you ask them yourself? Oh wait, cause that would make you look like an asshole.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. Any sane person who sees you talking to someone with a face tattoo would assume you're an asshole.
No, not at all. As in why don't you ask them what they are going to do with their law degree considering they have a tattoo and implying they're going to be deemed unprofessional. I don't know who the hell would get a tattoo on their face and decide to pursue a law degree. I can't even think of anyone in the UFC with a face tattoo. I'm sure they're in the very small minority in the law school community. I think the poster was talking about people who simply did not look the part of a lawyer, and given they did not look the part of a lawyer, how they would become one.

goaheadualright

New

Post by goaheadualright » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:04 am

Maybe they got away with dying their hair colors of the rainbow since 16 because their parents were busy being lawyers, the always bu$y kind and have a job waiting

TLSaul2001

New

Post by TLSaul2001 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:50 pm

Maybe they'll start their own boutique law firm that specializes in work discrimination claims for other tattooed rebels. If that doesn't work then there is always Hot Topic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:51 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Declaring something Your Opinion doesn't put you above criticism.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:04 pm

2013 and people are still getting tattoos. Got to laugh at tattoo havers who haven't figured out that fad is over with.

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:27 pm

I don't know about that, I tutor English and this kid was annoyed because he was using capitalization incorrectly (I kid you not) and he said that everyone would be able to understand what he was saying perfectly well either way, why is everyone so crazy about something like correct capitalization?

I think it's because communication is about getting your message across, but more often than not that happens in ways we don't consider. Thus showing up to work in jean shorts and a mohawk is going to give off some non-verbal communication in the same way that incorrect capitalization would. It's the world we live in, and we use certain devices to communicate certain things.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 am

Tom Joad wrote:2013 and people are still getting tattoos. Got to laugh at tattoo havers who haven't figured out that fad is over with.
I think tattoos started around 300 AD. This 1700 year fad should end soon, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bandenjamin

Bronze

Post by bandenjamin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:10 am

nebula666 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:2013 and people are still getting tattoos. Got to laugh at tattoo havers who haven't figured out that fad is over with.
I think tattoos started around 300 AD. This 1700 year fad should end soon, though.
Even older according to this....

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... attoo.html

5200 years. These kids today!!

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Get a job with this guy? I always see this billboard going back and forth from Austin to Houston.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”